1st Edition Gift Box

Billt1NH

Site Supporter
It is my understanding that the 1st Edition package was to receive a 1st Edition Gift Box? I purchased a new 2022 Transcontinental over 3 months ago and have now reached out to the dealer 7 times asking for it. They have excuses but nothing else. I will say this dealer is probably the worst dealer I have ever dealt with as far as customer response. Is the dealer or BMW that doesn't feel the need to complete what was paid for?

I may be wrong, but I do not believe a ‘22 TC would qualify for the gift box?
I was told by the dealer it was. Frankly I'm sure it's some token that I could care less about but my annoyance comes about having to beg the dealer every step of the way up to and including taking my order at full list on the Transcontinental. After driving an hour to the store twice and being ignored both times to buy a new bike I literally had to call the sales staff and ask not to be ignored so I could give them a check at the next visit. I didn't ask for a discount I didn't have a trade I didn't need to finance and after owning 15 new BMW automobiles I expected more than being ignored. Ok that was a vent. . I've also owned a dozen new Harleys, never once was ignored.

Last edited:
I received a "Gift Box" with my 21 model year FE, but I have read comments of not receiving one by some owners. I know the FE trim is available on 22 models, but all items are not the same (e.g. reverse only with non FE paint). BMW commonly offers special model launch items that may or may not be part of a subsequent batch or models year (other OEMs do similar). Of course I could be completely wrong and your dealer may be "the worst" as you described and the box is sitting on a shelf waiting for someone to get off their arse and hand it to you.

You didn't mention their name which is fine, but in general I have had good dealings with BMW shops over a good bit of the lower 48 and Alaska. My $.02, try your dealer again and perhaps go up the ladder to get your question answered. If no joy, call BMW customer service.

Good luck.

It is my understanding that the 1st Edition package was to receive a 1st Edition Gift Box? I purchased a new 2022 Transcontinental over 3 months ago and have now reached out to the dealer 7 times asking for it. They have excuses but nothing else. I will say this dealer is probably the worst dealer I have ever dealt with as far as customer response. Is the dealer or BMW that doesn't feel the need to complete what was paid for?
Explain how a second year built 2022 is a fist edition?
It would be a second edition at best.

Last edited:
Speculating here, but the 2022s are the “First Edition” of the Bagger (B) and full dresser TC). While still labeled an R18, they are totally different bikes than the naked R18 or even R18 C. I was one of the lucky ones to own a naked FE R18 going back to Sept of 2020. I was led to believe the First Edition badging would be limited to only a very few number of bikes. As we now see, that hasn’t been the case, which is a bit of a bummer.

No first edition pack came with my new TC from my BMW supplying dealer here in the UK. I understand your frustration after making many phone calls and a string of unanswered emails, I threatened to contact BMW customer services and suddenly the pack arrived by post. Needless to say the dealership had very poor feedback from me, the whole buying experience was frustrating.
The good news is that my local BMW dealership service is absolutely brilliant it’s a pity they did not have a new TC in stock at the time of purchase.

Hi all, owning both 2021R18FE and a 2022R18TCFE here's what I've gathered. The 2021 first editions were the R18 and R18 Classic, with their frame and steering geometry, the 2022 R18 B Bagger and R18 Transcontinental were released as new R18 first editions, with the new frame and steering geometry, and some differences in some parts interchangeability. I did receive the First Edition packs, it was up to a couple of weeks before they came in, and I inquired about it at closing, not unusual for them to come along afterwards. I expect that there will be more significant divergence before long as the R18 line spreads to meet our needs, seems this first fork is a pretty important milestone on the road to the wild side. :cool:

It would be a second edition at best.
2022 R18 Transcontinental has a $2150 option for 1st edition package. I paid the $2150 3 months ago and would like to receive what I paid for. I also for the last decade have had two nonidentical bikes and have asked the same dealer multiple times for information so that I may purchase a 2022 K1600 Grand America. Every one of my request up till yesterday were ignored.

I believe it is up to the dealer. I just got home from buying a base R 18 and they gave me the box as a gift. I thought that was a great gesture.

Attachments

• 20211223_212136.jpg
    20211223_212136.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
After multiple attempts asking for the welcome box and waiting 3 months I emailed BMW customer service. The Box was overnighted the very next day from the dealership. XXX XXXXXXXXXXXXX could not have provided a worse customer buying experience. Everytime I asked for the welcome box I also enquired to buy a 2022 K1600 Grand America. Never once was my request to buy acknowledged until I relayed my experience to the Motor Company. Only then did The dealer principal email me and ask what configuration I was looking for. I told him once I acquired the balance of the first purchase I pursue the next. The day I received the box I called to speak to the dealer Principle to gain some assurances purchasing the Grand America would not bring the same poor experience and was ready to place a deposit . He wouldn't call me back . When I ( email) questioned why he said talk to a salesman . Cleary he wasn't interested in hearing my experience with his organization.

Last edited:
And I still don’t think that your ‘22 TC qualified for the box, but way to hold an outstanding dealer hostage. 🙄
My TC is a first edition and was told by the dealer multiple times it was forthcoming. Not holding the dealer hostage just accountable to honor the obligation. I didn't mention any dealer name until the dealer principal refused to call me back so I could have the opportunity to discuss my experience. If you think refusing to hear a customer complaint is outstanding customer service we speak different languages.

And I still don’t think that your ‘22 TC qualified for the box, but way to hold an outstanding dealer hostage. 🙄
"Just as it was with the R 18, the new R 18 B and R 18 Transcontinental will be available in exclusive First Edition versions in addition to the standard models at the time of launch. The packages include special paint and surface finishes such as Blackstorm metallic paint with elaborate double-pinstripes in Light white, with handlebar fittings and cylinder head covers outfitted in chrome. First Edition inscriptions are found on the side cases and embroidered on the seat. Customers also get a “First Edition” Welcome Box." taken from https://canadamotoguide.com/2021/07/29/2022-bmw-r-18-b-and-r-18-transcontinental-unveiled/

After multiple attempts asking for the welcome box and waiting 3 months I emailed BMW customer service. The Box was overnighted the very next day from the dealership. XXX XXXXXXXXXXXXX could not have provided a worse customer buying experience. Everytime I asked for the welcome box I also enquired to buy a 2022 K1600 Grand America. Never once was my request to buy acknowledged until I relayed my experience to the Motor Company. Only then did The dealer principal email me and ask what configuration I was looking for. I told him once I acquired the balance of the first purchase I pursue the next. The day I received the box I called to speak to the dealer Principle to gain some assurances purchasing the Grand America would not bring the same poor experience and was ready to place a deposit . He wouldn't call me back . When I ( email) questioned why he said talk to a salesman . Cleary he wasn't interested in hearing my experience with his organization.
I edited and removed the dealer name and location as the dealer Principal did call me on Christmas eve a day the store was closed expressing he misunderstood my request for a call back. He listened to me and offered a respectful response.

Back