6,000 miles service cost is ridiculous!

Was quoted $800 for the 6,000 mile service ! That’s if they don’t have to adjust the valves or replace anything else.. mind you that I put 6,000 miles on in 3-4 months.. I’m extremely disappointed that bmw doesn’t have a service manual for the R18 Available.. I don’t think they have any newer 2021 on up service manuals for any of there bikes .. I think it’s time to sell or trade for a different brand..

Yeah, the dealership offers a maintenance plan but it wasn’t in the budget at the time. he then told me I could purchase the maintenance plan later on if I wanted to.. I called and asked about that and they said that “ I would have to have a safety inspection on it” , costing more my🤷🏻. With the research i did I found that its easy to maintain, but what i didn’t know until after purchase is that there isn’t a repair manual available for it lol I’m going to be selling

Yeah, the dealership offers a maintenance plan but it wasn’t in the budget at the time. he then told me I could purchase the maintenance plan later on if I wanted to.. I called and asked about that and they said that “ I would have to have a safety inspection on it” , costing more my🤷🏻. With the research i did I found that its easy to maintain, but what i didn’t know until after purchase is that there isn’t a repair manual available for it lol I’m going to be selling
That’s a shame. I did do some forum checking before I bought mine because I thought it would be pricey but for the miles I do I figured once a year was do-able. I think this is the way a lot of manufacturers are going though making it more and more difficult and awkward for us to home service our bikes. So are they saying they want the first service inspection doing aswell as the 6000 mile to get two service stamps in the book (so to speak)? If they do that’s a fiddle isn’t it?

I was in shock too, but then I realized that it's actually not that hard to maintain the bike myself.

Since I plan on riding the bike a lot and having it for a while, I bought the Hornig stand than the OBDLink tool (or whatever it's called) to reset the service light and do the other things that need doing. I bought Mopar oil for the trans and final, which is much more affordable than the BMW branded oil. Mobile 1 15W-50 will work for affordable engine oil (in my opinion, and according to Mobil 1, but use whatever you want). You should be able to reuse your valve cover gaskets. Brake fluid flush sounds straight forward.

If you take your car or truck to the dealer for everything they say it needs you'd go broke on that as well....

I'm glad you decided to keep her and do some of the servicing to save some $ (I do too). For reference, your shop is double what my dealer in Asheville, NC charged for a 6K to include adjusting several valves. They now buy the GL5/G3 gear oil in bulk and charge $7.XX for the final drive as well as not arbitrarily replacing perfectly good spark plugs and air filter, etc. I'm also good for 2-3 services a year on average so I share your keeping an eye on costs.

I've enjoyed a long term relationship with my dealer and try to be a "long dollar" customer as I like to think that contributes to keeping their very stable, knowledgable workforce in place and they in turn provide awesome value and top shelf customer service. That said, if I was in your situation and another shop option was not a reasonable Plan B, I'd walk. I'm surprised they didn't tack on another $100.00 for your tires "seasonal air change". Anyway, there are some service videos on ewe tube done by a BMWOA member and if you search the forum there is a link for a video done by a European tech that includes the valves as well (@pbosik advised clearance spec is wrong, but you can see what is involved).

🍻 🍻

Last edited:
What is the cost of the 6,000 mile service if they do adjust the valves and change all the oils?

¡Se cotizó $800 por el servicio de 6,000 millas! Eso es si no tienen que ajustar las válvulas o reemplazar cualquier otra cosa... tenga en cuenta que hice 6,000 millas en 3-4 meses... Estoy extremadamente decepcionado de que bmw no tenga un manual de servicio para el R18 disponible .. No creo que tengan ningún manual de servicio más nuevo de 2021 para ninguna de sus bicicletas.. Creo que es hora de vender o cambiar por una marca diferente..
El coste se dispara por el cambio de las juntas tras revisar válvulas. En mi caso el jefe de taller de bmw vio que las juntas estaban perfectas y uso las mismas ahorrandome creo recordar algo mas de 200 eu. Mi opinión es que deberíais en las revisiones hablar con vuestro jefe de taller y que en función al estado las cambien o no. El riesgo es nulo, si suda aceite pues se reaprieta o se cambia la junta, y esto puede ocurrir a los 10k..oa lo mejor a los 20k km sigue la junta como nueva.

Monty.

Is it imperative that the valves be adjusted at 6k miles or is this just a suggestion check?

Just did my 600 mile service at $550. They just did engine oil and final drive, which I can do cheaper, but wanted them to do the first service in case something goes wrong it’s easier for the warranty. I’ll do my own fluids and filter and let the dealer do the valves.

What is the cost of the 6,000 mile service if they do adjust the valves and change all the oils?
Just did my 600 mile service at $550. They just did engine oil and final drive, which I can do cheaper, but wanted them to do the first service in case something goes wrong it’s easier for the warranty. I’ll do my own fluids and filter and let the dealer do the valves.
Think this is the way I’ll go too, as time passes and more and more of us get the spanners out dealer only servicing becomes less critical.

Back