Battery Terminal Connections!

theMucker

Premium Member
I have just posted another thread about a couple of interesting electrical connectors under the LH side cover and this post is related to those connectors. But I think that we have a topic here that deserves it's own thread.

While checking out the battery charger pigtail under what the OEM calls the left side "fairing" I discovered that the cable and smaller pigtail wire connected to the ground terminal were very LOOSE! As in, less than hand tight! Without using a wrench, I could have removed the screw that loosely passed through the ground cable lug. This is a BIG DEAL. If any of the ends of the big cables connected to the battery are loose, they can cause real problems. Loose high power cables can result in high impedance overheating at the cable itself or sudden loss of connectivity that can leave you stranded at the road side.

As a professional mechanic of decades, I've seen this issue on MANY new motorcycles of all brands. And I've seen the problems that it causes. R18 Riders... please remove the left side cover and the plastic cover under it and check to be sure that your battery cables are tight at the battery terminals. They don't have to be super tight. Just snug enough to be sure they will stay that way. Typically the torque spec is 4.7 Nm . Be careful that you don't touch the wrench to chassis ground while checking/tightening the positive terminal screw.

Hey today I went snooping for those terminals you noted in another thread.

1) I don't have the battery charge terminal. It just not there, but speaking of charging, I've been using an Optimate 4 charger that I connect to the system via the din/hella outlet (per manual instructions page 99 "charging a connected battery.") Do you think that the addition of a dedicated terminal with a proprietary connection was just to get you to buy a BMW charger?

2) My rubber battery strap broke! Yeah, in two places. Just snapped.

D7E5B726-B763-4ED8-9920-13B0271CA22A.jpeg

I found a replacement (Full part number is 61219480670) but the original broke in 6 months and under 1000 miles, so it feels kinda silly to replace it with the same thing. I made a new strap from the old rings and a piece of Velcro.

77346F17-F1C4-448E-843D-054774192654.jpeg

I don't think that the strap is truly holding anything in place. The upper connection point isn't even a lip, it's just a plastic tab for the ring to gain a little purchase on. I'm not terribly impressed with the set up. Seems after-thoughty.

Last edited:
Hey today I went snooping for those terminals you noted in another thread.

1) I don't have the battery charge terminal. It just not there, but speaking of charging, I've been using an Optimate 4 charger that I connect to the system via the din/hella outlet (per manual instructions page 99 "charging a connected battery.") Do you think that the addition of a dedicated terminal with a proprietary connection was just to get you to buy a BMW charger?

2) My rubber battery strap broke! Yeah, in two places. Just snapped.

View attachment 714

I found a replacement (Full part number is 61219480670) but the original broke in 6 months and under 1000 miles, so it feels kinda silly to replace it with the same thing. I made a new strap from the old rings and a piece of Velcro.

View attachment 715

I don't think that the strap is truly holding anything in place. The upper connection point isn't even a lip, it's just a plastic tab for the ring to gain a little purchase on. I'm not terribly impressed with the set up. Seems after-thoughty.

I like the Velcro replacement for the rubber strap and agree that the battery is so well tucked into it's recess that it ain't going nowhere.
As for the OEM battery maintenance/charging pigtail, mine had it and today, while I was at the Chattanooga dealership, I saw the same pigtail hanging off of most every other model of BMW on the sales floor. Each one had the apparently proprietary two-pin connector with the blinking LED. If yours lacks it, I don't think that it's worth worrying about. Just get yourself a Battery Tender and attach the pigtail that comes with it to the battery terminals. I also have a Yuasa battery maintenance/charger and it came with the same connectors, so the Yuasa/Battery Tender brands use the same design connectors.

I like the Velcro replacement for the rubber strap and agree that the battery is so well tucked into it's recess that it ain't going nowhere.
As for the OEM battery maintenance/charging pigtail, mine had it and today, while I was at the Chattanooga dealership, I saw the same pigtail hanging off of most every other model of BMW on the sales floor. Each one had the apparently proprietary two-pin connector with the blinking LED. If yours lacks it, I don't think that it's worth worrying about. Just get yourself a Battery Tender and attach the pigtail that comes with it to the battery terminals. I also have a Yuasa battery maintenance/charger and it came with the same connectors, so the Yuasa/Battery Tender brands use the same design connectors.
I've been using an Optimate 4 via the din/hella outlet by the reverse gear selector. It's working great. I bet they're just looking to sell more BMW-specific chargers with the two pin thing

I've been using an Optimate 4 via the din/hella outlet by the reverse gear selector. It's working great. I bet they're just looking to sell more BMW-specific chargers with the two pin thing
Thanks, TV! That's very interesting. I have looked up the Optimate 4 CAN-BUS edition and I like that it plugs into the socket by the reverse selector. But at about $90, I wonder what it does that a Battery Tender doesn't.

Something I'll do immediately !

Thanks

I've forgotten to check ... and yesterday when I wanted to start the R18 ... nothing, no more battery :mad:

I tried to charge it with the Optimate 4 and it went on default battery !!!!

I finally remember @theMucker advise, and checked the battery connectors. Both + and - were completely loose !!!

Not easy to pull the battery, but now everything is ok, many thanks to you theMucker (y)

I've forgotten to check ... and yesterday when I wanted to start the R18 ... nothing, no more battery :mad:

I tried to charge it with the Optimate 4 and it went on default battery !!!!

I finally remember @theMucker advise, and checked the battery connectors. Both + and - were completely loose !!!

Not easy to pull the battery, but now everything is ok, many thanks to you theMucker (y)

I'm glad that the issue surfaced while it was stationary and (I presume) at home, where it was easiest to correct.

My trickle charger does not appear to charge through the aux plug by reverse gear. Likely shut off with Canbus. Not sure how you guys are getting it to work. Left the charger in for some time. No change in status. But can't measure current. I may just make the plug hot. Or just add one.

You either have to purchase a special charger that is compatible with CanBus or install a SAE connector directly to the battery terminals for use with conventional trickle charger. The SAE connector is also convenient for heated gear in cold weather riding on plugging in a USB adpator to charge a cell phone or Bluetooth headset or anything else. If you do use it to power heated gear remember to upgrade the fuse.3446B1BE-995E-41A9-BFA9-7E76A34E47F7.png

You either have to purchase a special charger that is compatible with CanBus or install a SAE connector directly to the battery terminals for use with conventional trickle charger. The SAE connector is also convenient for heated gear in cold weather riding on plugging in a USB adpator to charge a cell phone or Bluetooth headset or anything else. If you do use it to power heated gear remember to upgrade the fuse.View attachment 2742
Thats what I installed.

Back