• Due to the fact that gmail allows bots to create email accounts and then the bots use these to sign up as spammers New users cannot use @gmail.com email accounts

Blinding chrome on top of TC fuel tank...

Cu Dubh

My green TC (er, Manhattan Metallic Matte, or whatever) has 'chrome' access covers on the tank: one for accessing the fuel cap and the other for the phone storage that doesn't fit my phone. The problem is that these covers reflect the sunlight when the sun is over my shoulder and it is absolutely blinding. I prefer not to schedule my rides to avoid the sun. Therefore my thought is to tape off the area and paint these gawdawful bits of bling with black Plasti-dip.

Any thoughts from the collective, pro or con?

R12C-R18TC

Site Supporter
Elite Member
I take it sunglasses don't help much.
On another note, I did lots of mods on an R1200c once only to hear a seasoned forum member caution me about the virtue of leaving a bike stock as much as possible. Nothing wrong with adding chrome and bling but think twice before you alter the bike in a way that it can't be returned to original state. (I don't mean to sound like your dad)

Cu Dubh

Alex & Adam, I'll explore the vinyl wrap; seems like a good solution as the Plasti-dip, while non-permanent, is also relatively easy to scratch or begin peeling. I haven't done any vinyl wrap but it seems to be a well-established process.

R12C (er, Dad 😉), thanks for the input. I concur with you in general: mods should be value-added and either reversible or, at least, do not permanently alter the structural design, unless it's a hot rod or show vehicle. This little mod would certainly be reversible, whether Plasti-dip or vinyl wrap. I tend to keep my equipment for a long time and not trade them out much, meaning that, to me, trade-in or re-sale value is also typically not a major concern.

Vyk

Site Supporter
I've plastidipped an entire cruiser before including the fuel tank. One thing to be aware is that fuel will degrade/dissolve plastidip.

I removed the plastidip 3 years later to sell the bike. Worked great.

Cu Dubh

I've plastidipped an entire cruiser before including the fuel tank. One thing to be aware is that fuel will degrade/dissolve plastidip.

I removed the plastidip 3 years later to sell the bike. Worked great.
Thanks. I'm aware of the fuel issue, and I'm impressed you made it 3 years!