BMW (Mustang) Seat options breakdown

Svtweb

Staff member
Elite Member
I just got off the phone with Trish at Mustang seats and she gave me a bit of a primer on the offerings by BMW on the seats that are OEM'd by Mustang. As we all know the dealers have little to no information on the seats, so we are left to either buying them blind and hoping that they will be what we want. To me, I am looking for a better seat that doesn't have the requirement of the pillion part.

"Day Rider Seat" - This is a two-piece seat that can be installed with just the front or the front and rear. It gives the option of a backrest for the rider and comes in Black or Brown. It has slightly more padding then the stock seat and is a more retro style. Seat Height - 27.4"

"The Weekender Seat" - This is a two-piece seat that can be installed with just the front or the front and rear. It gives the option of a backrest for the rider and comes in Black or Brown. It is taller and wider than the "Day Rider Seat" and has more padding and smooth leather. Seat Height 27.4"

"The Cross Country Seat" - This is a one-piece design. It gives the option of a backrest for the rider and comes in Black or Brown. It is taller and wider than the "The Weekender Seat" and has even more padding and smooth leather. Seat Height 27.7"

I just got off the phone with Trish at Mustang seats and she gave me a bit of a primer on the offerings by BMW on the seats that are OEM'd by Mustang. As we all know the dealers have little to no information on the seats, so we are left to either buying them blind and hoping that they will be what we want. To me, I am looking for a better seat that doesn't have the requirement of the pillion part.

"Day Rider Seat" - This is a two-piece seat that can be installed with just the front or the front and rear. It gives the option of a backrest for the rider and comes in Black or Brown. It has slightly more padding then the stock seat and is a more retro style. Seat Height - 27.4"

"The Weekender Seat" - This is a two-piece seat that can be installed with just the front or the front and rear. It gives the option of a backrest for the rider and comes in Black or Brown. It is taller and wider than the "Day Rider Seat" and has more padding and smooth leather. Seat Height 27.4"

"The Cross Country Seat" - This is a one-piece design. It gives the option of a backrest for the rider and comes in Black or Brown. It is taller and wider than the "The Weekender Seat" and has even more padding and smooth leather. Seat Height 27.7"
Thank you sir! This is good news. When I ordered my R18 I included the Weekender seat. It sounds like I chose the right one for my riding.

Do you (or anyone) have any information about the Fastback Seat? Comfort against the stock seat, heigh, cushio, padding...

replying to Luis

No specific measurements, just my impression.
-seating is higher (an inch? Maybe a bit less) and a titch more towards the rear. I feel like I’m reaching more for the bars rather than just extending my arms. I may have to add a spacer for the bars.
-I like the low back support/impression that there’s something cradling my backside
-much more cushy, not even close.
-passenger area is adequate and thicker than stock
-more comfortable overall but I’ve only ridden about 40 miles on the fastback vs about 1000 on the stock seat. Cushiness doesn’t always equate with long-term comfort.
-great quality. No complaints about fit and finish.

I’m happy with it and feel it complements the lines of the bike

Last edited:
Picked up my BMW R 18 Classic Day Rider Seats & Backrest today. Very comfortable so far, will take it out this afternoon for a ride to check out. Will put me over 500 miles on the bike, so will be ready for first service after this. Still awaiting the floorboards and heel/toe shifter to come in at Wooly's Cycles of Atlanta. When at Wooly's today, there were two more R 18 Classics on the sale floor.

Attachments

• BMW Mustang Seats.jpg
    BMW Mustang Seats.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 491
  • BMW Mustang Day Rider Seat & Backrest.jpg
    BMW Mustang Day Rider Seat & Backrest.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 490
replying to Luis

No specific measurements, just my impression.
-seating is higher (an inch? Maybe a bit less) and a titch more towards the rear. I feel like I’m reaching more for the bars rather than just extending my arms. I may have to add a spacer for the bars.
-I like the low back support/impression that there’s something cradling my backside
-much more cushy, not even close.
-passenger area is adequate and thicker than stock
-more comfortable overall but I’ve only ridden about 40 miles on the fastback vs about 1000 on the stock seat. Cushiness doesn’t always equate with long-term comfort.
-great quality. No complaints about fit and finish.

I’m happy with it and feel it complements the lines of the bike
Thanks a lot. Some few questions:

Those first 1000 miles, where uncomfortable with the stock seat? I’m talking about pain.
Is really softer versus the stock seat?

Please feedback me about the Fastback in the future. 😎

Thanks a lot. Some few questions:

Those first 1000 miles, where uncomfortable with the stock seat? I’m talking about pain.
Is really softer versus the stock seat?

Please feedback me about the Fastback in the future. 😎
Yes, after an hour or so, for me, the stock seat was painful at the cheeks and tailbone. And worse still, I found that my inner thighs would go a bit numb too. The fastback seat is softer. I'll update after a longer ride.

I purchased the cross country seat for my r18. It's super comfortable compared to the stock seat. My only issue is that it looks too big on the r18 almost puffy.

Attachments

• IMG_20210312_091505~2.jpg
    IMG_20210312_091505~2.jpg
    670.4 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_20210312_091509.jpg
    IMG_20210312_091509.jpg
    596.6 KB · Views: 353
I purchased the cross country seat for my r18. It's super comfortable compared to the stock seat. My only issue is that it looks too big on the r18 almost puffy.
Yeah. That's the problem with more comfortable seats and the reason why BMW KNEW that they were putting the "seat by deSade" on the R18. The stocker LOOKS very pretty on a bike that's all about looking super-retro. It helps sell a beautiful bike. Then, after the new owner's arse has been punished enough, the less pretty but more comfy seats become a new priority and a new expense.
I first fell in love with the R18 because of it's incredible styling. When I saw the "prototype" at the '19 NYC show, I was smitten. Then when I learned last year that it had been put into production, I HAD to see it at the dealership. I knew that I would want it even before I test rode it and not even the barely upholstered exercise in hard materials on top was going to stop me.
So I studied what info and photos I could find regarding alternative seats and made the decision to order the R18 with the Weekender seat as part of the deal. The presumption was that it would be significantly more comfortable, while (hopefully) not screwing up the bike's beautiful styling too much.
The Weekender is still on back-order, so the jury is still out on how well my comfort vs appearance choice works out.
Truth to tell, in my opinion, a solo "tractor seat" like the one that I had on the '65 R50/2 that I once owned is the most beautiful seat possible and it WAS VERY COMFORTABLE. But not being able to have my bride behind me is absolutely unacceptable.

I know this is a Mustang Seats thread, but since the common interest is Seats, I thought if no-one objects, I could ask here. Any idea about the Spring seat that was supposed to be made by BMW "Harmony" seat it seems they call it ? Its a classic styled spring mounted single seat that isolates the body from the frame thus, in theory, providing for ample protection for the lower back to the rider . Of course, that still does not sort out the Pillion and the brutal punishment they would receive on anything but the smoothest tarmac.

Putting aside that this is a Mustang Seats thread but not to create a new one. Does any one tried the Roland Sand Solo seat for R18?

what about the comfort versus the unusable stock seat? Still back pain even with the Roland seat?

Attachments

• DFF18CD9-F211-4037-A5FF-D95F88E98F24.jpeg
    DFF18CD9-F211-4037-A5FF-D95F88E98F24.jpeg
    446 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Looks comfy. I ordered a Cross Country from a dealer in MN. Its being shipped to the dealer I bought the bike from in PA. Hope it makes it on time. Picking up the bike Friday.

David

I did about 250 miles this past Saturday with the Mustang Fastback saddle. It was my first real riding day of the year. Went down the Mississippi and then over into Minnesota. Beautiful day. About an hour or so between stops. And...No backside pain whatsoever. No numbness at my inner thighs. No saddle-related complaints at all, really. For me it's a significant improvement over stock and worth the roughly $400.

I did about 250 miles this past Saturday with the Mustang Fastback saddle. It was my first real riding day of the year. Went down the Mississippi and then over into Minnesota. Beautiful day. About an hour or so between stops. And...No backside pain whatsoever. No numbness at my inner thighs. No saddle-related complaints at all, really. For me it's a significant improvement over stock and worth the roughly $400.
Can you tell me if with the Fastback you are higher or lower seated than the stock seat? For example, with the Cross Country I’m too high, and during the stops, my legs are totally straight to reach the floor

Last edited:
The stock seat is the best fit for the R18's stance, IMHO. I ride mine solo, and I do not find the stock seat too hard on short trips, say two hours maximum in the saddle. I use my AirHawk®, which I share with several other bikes, for longer rides. Just unhook it when you are done, and it is no harder on the seat surface than a pair of jeans would be. I have not found a custom seat that beats an Airhawk® on comfort - again, that's me. I have two larger AirHawk®'s for my wife and me that we use when we tour with the Goldwing or Chief Vintage.

DSC02801.jpg
DSC02802.jpg

The stock seat is the best fit for the R18's stance, IMHO. I ride mine solo, and I do not find the stock seat too hard on short trips, say two hours maximum in the saddle. I use my AirHawk®, which I share with several other bikes, for longer rides. Just unhook it when you are done, and it is no harder on the seat surface than a pair of jeans would be. I have not found a custom seat that beats an Airhawk® on comfort - again, that's me. I have two larger AirHawk®'s for my wife and me that we use when we tour with the Goldwing or Chief Vintage.

View attachment 1114
View attachment 1115
Now that looks like a Kotex on a Kangaroo.

Can you tell me if with the Fastback you are higher or lower seated than the stock seat? For example, with the Cross Country I’m too high, and during the stops, my legs are totally straight to reach the floor
Maybe an inch higher than stock

Back