BMW R18 Engine Details

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Inside BMW’s Mighty 110-Cubic-Inch “Big Boxer"

BMW has built a long, low cruiser whose 1,802cc boxer engine cranks 116 pound-feet of torque at 3,000 revs, giving 90 hp at a low 4,750 rpm. This is something new with a completely “other” look......
More here.....

It's almost exactly the same design as the 1950 bike I had; amazingly, the same twin cam setup which they moved away from in 1951 for various reasons, and now it's returned. The R18 brakes will be a lot better than the 1" wide drums were on the R51!!

Attachments

• BMR51b.jpg.jpg
    BMR51b.jpg.jpg
    802.8 KB · Views: 21
It's almost exactly the same design as the 1950 bike I had; amazingly, the same twin cam setup which they moved away from in 1951 for various reasons, and now it's returned. The R18 brakes will be a lot better than the 1" wide drums were on the R51!!
For better or worse I’m transforming my R18 over to a more classic style BMW bike,

My favorite movie of all-time is Lawrence of Arabia and that opening scene on the Brough Superior had always influenced my enthusiasm for classic bikes. The R18 is the closest to that bike that will come in at a reasonable budget.

Last edited:
Back