BMW R18 Homage saddle

Gilles

Premium Member
I wanted to see how looks the R18 with the homage saddle and the original rear fender

@estoma gave us pictures which I used on Paint3D (I don't own Photoshop) together with picture I took of my R18 rear fender

Original R18

selle R18.png

R18 with BMW Bobber kit and beach bar

selle bobber.png

Comparison of both

Selle suspendue et normale.png

Original R18 with homage saddle

selle suspendue avec guidon et garde boue origine.png

Original R18 with homage saddle and side license plate

selle suspendue avec guidon et garde boue origine plaque déportée.png

Original R18 with homage saddle and beach bar

selle suspendue avec garde boue origine.png

Sorry for the quality of the montages, I'm not good with these softwares, but it at least gives an idea of the result

I am taking long trips with the motorcycle. I love the bobber kit but I can't find a place for it to put my luggage. On the other hand, the option of keeping "everything" and only changing the saddle does not displease me at all, but everything would disregard for me its comfort and convenience.

I am taking long trips with the motorcycle. I love the bobber kit but I can't find a place for it to put my luggage. On the other hand, the option of keeping "everything" and only changing the saddle does not displease me at all, but everything would disregard for me its comfort and convenience.
The Idea behind a Bobber is to eliminate everything unnecessary.
The K1600B is for long trips. 2021:03:04-1 copy.jpgIMG_0905.JPGIMG_0969 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Gilles I’m kinda wrestling with that too. I’d like my R18 to be my day trip cruising with Mrs. TodkaVonic for lunch motorcycle. And having my saddle bags adds significant convenience to that role. However, man, I love that bobber seat and rear fender so much. I want it both ways!

Gilles I’m kinda wrestling with that too. I’d like my R18 to be my day trip cruising with Mrs. TodkaVonic for lunch motorcycle. And having my saddle bags adds significant convenience to that role. However, man, I love that bobber seat and rear fender so much. I want it both ways!
Oh No, we have a switch hitter. At this point I Must invoke Baseballs "Pat Venditte Rule"

You probably know this Gilles & Luis, but I just now realized that, soon, a person can buy just the homage saddle

View attachment 1133
You will still need the adapter. Which from the looks of it, and is the reason I made my own seat adapter, requires the removal of the Rear Frame, PN 46 51 9 480 770, to which the saddle bags attach and the rear lights and license plate.
"Installation directly on the frame using an adapter" ??? Where is the adapter listed? How do you mount the signal lights and license plate? Enquiring minds want to know. \
I may be wrong, but, I may be right.

Last edited:
You will still need the adapter. Which from the looks of it, and is the reason I made my own seat adapter, requires the removal of the Rear Frame, PN 46 51 9 480 770, to which the saddle bags attach and the rear lights and license plate.
"Installation directly on the frame using an adapter" ??? Where is the adapter listed? How do you mount the signal lights and license plate? Enquiring minds want to know. \
I may be wrong, but, I may be right.
It really appears that you will need the entire bobber kit which is North of $1,400 and still no saddle bag mount.
Please prove me wrong.

I have all the same information you do Black Dog. Since these are Wave 3 items, we won't know for sure until late summer/fall. From the looks of it, there's a saddle and an adaptor to mount it to the frame. You keep the plate and signals in their original positions.

I have all the same information you do Black Dog. Since these are Wave 3 items, we won't know for sure until late summer/fall. From the looks of it, there's a saddle and an adaptor to mount it to the frame. You keep the plate and signals in their original positions.
I suggest you look on page 23 of the same literature from which you got the seat.
It shows the required frame adapter. To me, it looks like the removal of the Rear Frame is required to mount the seat adapter.
Removal of the Rear frame also removes the license plate mount and the rear light mount.
Again this is why I decided to construct my own adapter, still have the ability to install any seat that fits the stock mount, including the original seat, with one screw.
I may be wrong, but what would I know about how the motorcycle is put together?2021:03:04-3 copy.jpg

Last edited:
I just sent an email to the parts and accessories manager. Either he'll get back with an answer or we'll just wait until someone, someplace, buys the saddle and not the bobber kit.

I suggest you look on page 23 of the same literature from which you got the seat.
It shows the required frame adapter. To me, it looks like the removal of the Rear Frame is required to mount the seat adapter.
Removal of the Rear frame also removes the license plate mount and the rear light mount.
Again this is why I decided to construct my own adapter, still have the ability to install any seat that fits the stock mount, including the original seat, with one screw.
I may be wrong, but what would I know about how the motorcycle is put together?

Not sure you have to remove the rear fender

Selle suspendue BMW 0a.png

The hommage saddle shown in the catalogue (p20) already includes an adapter which seems to fit the threaded holes of the frame

Capture d’écran (78a).jpg

IMG_20201217_152635 (2a).jpg

Now I wonder what is the second adapter shown on page 23; The same ? or a second one to feel the hole when the rear fender is removed ?

Selle suspendue kit bobber BMW (2).jpg

I agree with your first point. The catalog is very thorough and doesn't omit instances where additional parts are needed.
Regarding the question of that second piece, it probably takes the place of the fender support bit under the seat. This [yellow X]

36E32CC4-2907-4E1E-A3AA-59D978FE2C91.jpeg

Last edited:
Look close, even in your superimposed seat picture it shows the rear frame interference.
It would not be a "Bobber" if it still employed the stock rear fender and fender support. BMW is attempting to adhere to the definition of Bobber.
It would just be just a John Deere seat.

You're right Black Dog and I've already explained I do not want to make a bobber with my R18.
I prefer to keep it neo retro

This BMW saddle is a HOMAGE one (same as what you call a John Deere seat) and to me, not a bobber one

Anyway, we still have to wait to see it and of course check how it fits with the rear frame

You're right Black Dog and I've already explained I do not want to make a bobber with my R18.
I prefer to keep it neo retro

This BMW saddle is a HOMAGE one (same as what you call a John Deere seat) and to me, not a bobber one

Anyway, we still have to wait to see it and of course check how it fits with the rear frame
You buy one and let me know.

I wanted to see how looks the R18 with the homage saddle and the original rear fender

@estoma gave us pictures which I used on Paint3D (I don't own Photoshop) together with picture I took of my R18 rear fender

Original R18

View attachment 1123

R18 with BMW Bobber kit and beach bar

View attachment 1124

Comparison of both

View attachment 1125

Original R18 with homage saddle

View attachment 1126

Original R18 with homage saddle and side license plate

View attachment 1127

Original R18 with homage saddle and beach bar

View attachment 1128

Sorry for the quality of the montages, I'm not good with these softwares, but it at least gives an idea of the result
Thank you for these pictures and the rest of the information on this thread. I am quite surprised that all this information is already out there yet I have an email from BMW motorrad germany that says they are still developing the Homage and it will be released only post October 2021 ..... I feel a bit like a fool . Well, I will shut up now and digest all that this useful thread has to offer . Thank you TodKavonic and Gilles - much appreciated for the information . Dying to own this bike - its totally me ; except for the fact that i live in a country with the worst potholes and undulations on roads and so the rear suspension / rider seat / pillion comfort are the ONLY things that have stopped me from diving in head first. Hope there is a workable solution for this problem. In addition to the bad roads I have a tricky lower back with some disk issues ... that makes for a disaster when the rear travel is 90mm and the stock seat is like a plank of wood.

Last edited:
Back