BMW R18 Turns Signal Auto Cancelling Logic

Vyk

Site Supporter
This is from the manual. I've seen a few riding videos in which the rider was having trouble with the turn signal self cancelling.

When the turn signal button is pressed to the right or left, the turn indicators automatically turn off under the following conditions:

Speed is under 18 mph (30 km/h): after distance covered of 165 ft (50 m).
Speed is between 18 mph and 60 mph (30 km/h and 100 km/h): after covering a particular distance traveled, depending on the speed, or when accelerating.
Speed is above 60 mph (100 km/h): after turn indicator flashes five time.

When turn signal button is pressed and held slightly longer to the right or left, the turn indicators will only turn off automatically after covering the distance traveled, depending on speed.

I was under the impression that the R18 FE Pure and Classic do not have self cancelling turn signals... I'll investigate.:unsure:

So how do you know if you have the "Comfort Turn Indicators"?

If you want the turn signals to stay on longer just hold them for about 5-6 seconds and the will stay flashing at 2-3x's as long compared to just pushing in and letting go.

I am surprised the BMW turn signals do not sense lean angle. That is a sure fire criteria for shut off. I think HD bikes sense lean angle.

Quote "the R1200C has no logic outside of the rider."
but "the R1200C was very sexy".
blue.jpg

R18C FE doesn't seem to have this feature... Is this something the dealer have to turn on using the scan tool?
Looked for this setting using motoscan software with no luck !
This is a 2021 Canadian model btw...

This is the one thing my harley seemed to do better than my R18. On the harley you click the left thumb or right thumb, make the turn and the signal shut off almost as soon as the turn was over and the bike was no longer leaning. The R18 seems to keep the signal on way longer than it needs to and I end up shutting it off myself thinking the bike forgot. Hoping BMW comes out with better auto-cancelling logic on future bikes.

R18C FE doesn't seem to have this feature... Is this something the dealer have to turn on using the scan tool?
Looked for this setting using motoscan software with no luck !
This is a 2021 Canadian model btw...

I don't believe it can be turned off.

This is an excerpt from the newest MOA magazine outlining the changes for the next year models. Most bikes have this feature currently and for the next year model, it'll be possible to turn off.

Even after all this time, I still find "comfort turn signals" very annoying.

Attachments

• Comfort Turn Signal.jpg
    Comfort Turn Signal.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 11
This is the one thing my harley seemed to do better than my R18. On the harley you click the left thumb or right thumb, make the turn and the signal shut off almost as soon as the turn was over and the bike was no longer leaning. The R18 seems to keep the signal on way longer than it needs to and I end up shutting it off myself thinking the bike forgot. Hoping BMW comes out with better auto-cancelling logic on future bikes.
Agreed about HD having better logic for theirs, the R18 either seems to turn them off too quickly or they’re on too long 😂

I've seen the R1200C on top ten lists of the ugliest motorcycles ever made... More than one list! I don't get it. I think it's a sexy bike, but hey - what do I know?

I've seen the R1200C on top ten lists of the ugliest motorcycles ever made... More than one list! I don't get it. I think it's a sexy bike, but hey - what do I know?
Clearly, the reviewers who made those top-ten lists have no class...

If it was good enough for Bond, James Bond (and Michelle Yeoh), then it's good enough for me! ;)

Bond r1200c.jpeg

Mike

From personal experience…..I’ve owned quite a few bikes in the last 50 years and never got accolades for a beautiful bike like I did with with that Pacific blue R1200c.
It was rare that no one approached me at a gas station.

From personal experience…..I’ve owned quite a few bikes in the last 50 years and never got accolades for a beautiful bike like I did with with that Pacific blue R1200c.
It was rare that no one approached me at a gas station.
Well, had I been around...

smile-nod.gif

Mike

Back