Brake Squeal At Slow Speeds?

Hi All,
Thanks to all for such helpful tips across the R18's platform. I have one however that doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere. I have the R18 Classic with around 2000 miles on it. Ever since it was purchased new, I've noticed that the rear brake pads will squeak or squeal at slow speeds when applying the pedal. Seems odd to have it occurring but I originally thought there could be a break-in period for the brakes. However, it never went away and now I'm hearing it when I apply the hand-brakes on both front and back. Has anyone else run into this and is there a way to eliminate it? At quicker speeds, you don't hear it but with any around-the-town riding, it's almost constant and very annoying. Thanks in advance!

Welcome Dane!

The rear brake is "stand alone" using the pedal while the front brake is linked to the rear (using a % of pressure) to benefit a rider with a more balanced braking application in most circumstances. By the sounds of it, while the front brake linking provides less rear pressure than what the pedal can provide the problem has reached a point that even the lessor amount can still result in the unwelcome squeal.

Brake squeaks especially with so few miles usually come from glazed/polixhed pads, a build up of pad material and/or road grime and sometimes just needing a little brake grease applied to the backside of the pads where the metal meets the metal caliper piston. They all may sound a bit different, but would likely be consistent as you described. I would ask if this was a demo bike and/or is it possible you may be inadvertently "riding the brakes" while unintended?

I would do a couple simple things first. With everything in place I would work the brake pedal with my hand and use a little compressed air to carefully blow out any debris (protect your eyes), that may be present and to see if the pads are moving freely and releasing completely. If you don't have a compressor the little cans sold to clean computer keyboards will work for this or a LOW pressure stream of water from your garden hose is fine too. Also look for any debris on the disk surface or any discoloring that may be a result from getting very hot.

I would then sit on the bike and rock it back and forth a few times while applying and releasing pressure to the brake pedal to confirm the pads easily grab the disk and completely release. It only takes a few inches of movement to easily confirm all is well.

Next I would go to a large parking lot or quiet stretch of road and start at slow speeds (10-15 MPH) and practice hard braking with only or mostly the rear brake. It feels a bit counterintuitive and is certainly fine to add the front brake if it is too uncomfortable or balance is in question. Anyway, if all is good try a couple more times and try to get that rear abs to kick in to get a feel of the maximum braking threshold. If still comfortable add a few MPH (20, 25, 30, 35 as is safe and comfortable and certainly resume your "normal" riding mode when appropriate/needed). The intent is a few hard braking applications will cause enough friction to either clean and bed in the pads or to confirm you may want to plan on a set of new pads if the squealing remains intolerable. If any of this sounds too weird or whatever it is very quick and easy to have them checked by the shop.

Good luck and enjoy her! I made the same choice and they're a great motorcycle.

Hi All,
Thanks to all for such helpful tips across the R18's platform. I have one however that doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere. I have the R18 Classic with around 2000 miles on it. Ever since it was purchased new, I've noticed that the rear brake pads will squeak or squeal at slow speeds when applying the pedal. Seems odd to have it occurring but I originally thought there could be a break-in period for the brakes. However, it never went away and now I'm hearing it when I apply the hand-brakes on both front and back. Has anyone else run into this and is there a way to eliminate it? At quicker speeds, you don't hear it but with any around-the-town riding, it's almost constant and very annoying. Thanks in advance!
Had same noise when i bought til like 3 thousand miles ..... then went way... never did a thing to it... i guess just ride and eventually the noise should go away...it probably depends what kind ride you do it...

Perhaps cleaning the rotors would help to eliminate the squeal. there are brake disc cleaning products, I also have heard that a vinegar and water solution can be used in time of need, probably can google that. I hope this is helpful. The brakes on my R18s have never had any noticeable squeal, I'd expect yours will soon behave likewise.

Welcome Dane!

The rear brake is "stand alone" using the pedal while the front brake is linked to the rear (using a % of pressure) to benefit a rider with a more balanced braking application in most circumstances. By the sounds of it, while the front brake linking provides less rear pressure than what the pedal can provide the problem has reached a point that even the lessor amount can still result in the unwelcome squeal.

Brake squeaks especially with so few miles usually come from glazed/polixhed pads, a build up of pad material and/or road grime and sometimes just needing a little brake grease applied to the backside of the pads where the metal meets the metal caliper piston. They all may sound a bit different, but would likely be consistent as you described. I would ask if this was a demo bike and/or is it possible you may be inadvertently "riding the brakes" while unintended?

I would do a couple simple things first. With everything in place I would work the brake pedal with my hand and use a little compressed air to carefully blow out any debris (protect your eyes), that may be present and to see if the pads are moving freely and releasing completely. If you don't have a compressor the little cans sold to clean computer keyboards will work for this or a LOW pressure stream of water from your garden hose is fine too. Also look for any debris on the disk surface or any discoloring that may be a result from getting very hot.

I would then sit on the bike and rock it back and forth a few times while applying and releasing pressure to the brake pedal to confirm the pads easily grab the disk and completely release. It only takes a few inches of movement to easily confirm all is well.

Next I would go to a large parking lot or quiet stretch of road and start at slow speeds (10-15 MPH) and practice hard braking with only or mostly the rear brake. It feels a bit counterintuitive and is certainly fine to add the front brake if it is too uncomfortable or balance is in question. Anyway, if all is good try a couple more times and try to get that rear abs to kick in to get a feel of the maximum braking threshold. If still comfortable add a few MPH (20, 25, 30, 35 as is safe and comfortable and certainly resume your "normal" riding mode when appropriate/needed). The intent is a few hard braking applications will cause enough friction to either clean and bed in the pads or to confirm you may want to plan on a set of new pads if the squealing remains intolerable. If any of this sounds too weird or whatever it is very quick and easy to have them checked by the shop.

Good luck and enjoy her! I made the same choice and they're a great motorcycle.
BobW--thanks a lot for such a detailed set of suggestions! I'll give them all a try and report back in when I get the chance. Take care.

Back