Can a single jack be used?

Rambler358

I'm planning on getting a R18 Transcontinental. I don't believe there is a center stand option for this bike, but I could be wrong? Anyway, I'm assuming there is not, so I have a single jack that I wonder if it can be used to lift either the front or rear wheel of this bike. I've "heard" there are 2 jack locations at the bottom front of the engine, and 2 more at the rear of the transmission - but I'm not 100% on this. I currently have a single jack, but wonder if I'd need at least two. Has anyone used anything to lift up the front or rear wheels on a R18 B or R18 TC?

Hi Rambler
Interested in the same question. I would imagine that using a jack in the vicinity of the securing points for the 'optional' under-shield would be OK but would like some confirmation.
I'm planning on getting a R18 Transcontinental. I don't believe there is a center stand option for this bike, but I could be wrong? Anyway, I'm assuming there is not, so I have a single jack that I wonder if it can be used to lift either the front or rear wheel of this bike. I've "heard" there are 2 jack locations at the bottom front of the engine, and 2 more at the rear of the transmission - but I'm not 100% on this. I currently have a single jack, but wonder if I'd need at least two. Has anyone used anything to lift up the front or rear wheels on a R18 B or R18 TC

2x2s cut to length and attached to some plywood would definitely work, although not as sturdy.
I might just build a wooden set tomorow.
I will post pictures with dimensions, if I do.
Can a sigle jack be used? To raise just the front to the back, yes.
Would not be stable enough to use one jack ro lift the entire bike.

The rear ones one the are actually the muffler hanger attachment points, but the attachment points on the transmission and the engine were designed for this purpose.
Months ago I saw a picture of the actual factory lift adapter, can not find it now.
The post are 3/4" aluminum rod with 8mm studs, made by cutting the head off 8mm bolts.
Makes for a very stable lifting platform.

Last edited:
Most motorcycle scissor jacks come with saddle supports.
Shown below.
8mm socket head screw installed in the four support holes, 2 in the engine and 2 in the transmission, no need to remove.
May be necessary to enlarge the saddle support to 5/8"(16mm) drill press, mini large, mini mill or Dremel tool.
Cut the saddle off the end, or as I did machine an aluminum rod with an 8mm stud.
IMG_1482.JPG

IMG_1484.JPG

Shown below.
8mm socket head screw installed in the four support holes, 2 in the engine and 2 in the transmission, no need to remove.
May be necessary to enlarge the saddle support to 5/8"(16mm) drill press, mini large, mini mill or Dremel tool.
Cut the saddle off the end, or as I did machine an aluminum rod with an 8mm stud.
View attachment 3120

View attachment 3119
That option works. I currently don’t have the ability to make that myself, so I plan on asking my dealer what options are available.

That option works. I currently don’t have the ability to make that myself, so I plan on asking my dealer what options are available.
A hacksaw and a drill is all you need.
I am sure your dealer can help you out, for mega bucks.
I will make you one myself for $45,231.27
Plus shipping

Shown below.
View attachment 3120

View attachment 3119

Attachments

• 625728AE-F328-46D4-A29A-DC65A08594D4.png
    625728AE-F328-46D4-A29A-DC65A08594D4.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 48
Do you think something like this 4mm steel skid plate might expand options for jacking up the R18? Even if only in vicinity of front bolts.

Do you think something like this 4mm steel skid plate might expand options for jacking up the R18? Even if only in vicinity of front bolts.
The thing is, why are you jacking the bike up with this, you can not change either rhe engine oil or the transmission oil with this useless thing installed without cutting hole in it. I is a useless as a skid plate on a Bently Continental GT.
If you need a skid are on an R18, you also need Knobby tires.

I used this on my Harley. Was good for lifting front wheel or back wheel (Not both at same time). Was handy for storing or for cleaning and light maintenance. Doesn’t work well on R18 as engine becomes first point of contact.

I used this on my Harley. Was good for lifting front wheel or back wheel (Not both at same time). Was handy for storing or for cleaning and light maintenance. Doesn’t work well on R18 as engine becomes first point of contact.
Yeah, that would be perfect for me - if it worked on the R18.

I was looking under my R18 Transcontinental today, and saw these 2 hard rubber things near the rear wheel that look like they're attached to muffler hangers (see attached pic). It seems that a board about 3"- 4" wide and long enough to go under the 2 rubber things could go on a scissor lift and used to lift the rear wheel up. Any thoughts on if this would work?

008E6904-F3A4-4368-92DB-D102818A4D9E_1_201_a.jpeg

It also looks like this scissor lift from Amazon would fit the bill in attaching to those rubber things.

Attachments

• Scissor_lift.jpg
    Scissor_lift.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 9
Back