Classic Without Screen

tommymck

The weather here has been scorching hot over the last week. High of 100 may be normal for the Southwest, but around these parts, a week straight of that is a bit rough...particularly considering the humidity here. Anyway, I've had the R18 for 4 months and in that time, I never removed the windscreen. Figured this was the time to do it. First, for those of you contemplating this, it takes all of 30 seconds, and requires no tools. Second, and this was surprising to me, but removing the screen completely changes the character of the bike and the way I want to ride it. I hadn't dragged pegs once on this bike before, but it must have been 5 times on the first ride without the screen. It changes the way I feel about riding it. Third, while I found the screen helpful to keep wind off of me in cool weather, the bike is actually more pleasant to ride at highway speeds...at least up to 75mph....without the screen. And the view from the saddle really draws out the vintage feel without the screen. I like the setup of the Classic with the tires / wheels, and I like the saddle bags also....but I don't think that the windscreen is going back on anytime soon....

R18noscreen.jpg

I haven't had the opportunity to go faster than 75 so far without the screen. As with any naked bike and an upright posture, I'd assume that the windscreen would be more comfortable past 80....with or without buffeting....
I did 200 miles today on my FE and never went over 70. It's not my bike of choice for speed and having a windscreen wouldn't change that.

your r18 classic looks great without the windscreen. I wonder how it would look without the bags, and the back seat? do you ever regret getting the classic just because you might think the first edition looks better, but is less practical? I like the way the first edition looks, a lot more then the classic when i checked these out at the dealership recently. But the classic is a lot more practical with its long distance seat, foot boards, more lighting, cruise control, heel-toe shifter, smaller front tire. I talked about getting a first edition then adding foot boards and at that point u might as well get the classic.

your r18 classic looks great without the windscreen. I wonder how it would look without the bags, and the back seat? do you ever regret getting the classic just because you might think the first edition looks better, but is less practical? I like the way the first edition looks, a lot more then the classic when i checked these out at the dealership recently. But the classic is a lot more practical with its long distance seat, foot boards, more lighting, cruise control, heel-toe shifter, smaller front tire. I talked about getting a first edition then adding foot boards and at that point u might as well get the classic.
I actually really like the bags and the back seat....and I very much prefer the pipes on the Classic. I don't have the foot boards, but I really don't like footboards, nor do I like heel-toe shifters. Having ridden both, I definitely prefer the handling on the Classic as well. It's all personal preference, but I prefer the looks of the Classic as I have it configured....but of course I certainly get that others will prefer the looks of the FE (and actually, the side panels and the key on the Classic say "First Addition"...I think that First Addition means the first version of each of the R18 variants.) And what sort of CB do you own?

I'm envious of the classic's auxiliary lights and foresee adding those to my FE at some point.

It can't ONLY be $282?!?! And they come with a free windshield:D

5E86AD6E-3023-4B55-834D-F22E2FAE4A6E.png

Last edited:
Yeah, too good to be true:confused:

but on the plus side, it looks like the lights are a stand-alone part, which is preferable for those of us not interested in the windshield

4ADB3D09-16C1-4805-A8C2-470B3725E5F7.png

I actually really like the bags and the back seat....and I very much prefer the pipes on the Classic. I don't have the foot boards, but I really don't like footboards, nor do I like heel-toe shifters. Having ridden both, I definitely prefer the handling on the Classic as well. It's all personal preference, but I prefer the looks of the Classic as I have it configured....but of course I certainly get that others will prefer the looks of the FE (and actually, the side panels and the key on the Classic say "First Addition"...I think that First Addition means the first version of each of the R18 variants.) And what sort of CB do you own?
cb100 early 1970

I wonder why BMW went with such a low windshield. Any ideas? I installed a X-creen spoiler and it made a world of a difference. No buffeting. Maybe there is a company that can make a custom to measure windscreen?

I wonder why BMW went with such a low windshield. Any ideas? I installed a X-creen spoiler and it made a world of a difference. No buffeting. Maybe there is a company that can make a custom to measure windscreen?
I got this message back from Clearview Shields:

Craig <[email protected]>​

Tue, Aug 3, 12:41 PM (13 days ago)
to me
Thank You for your inquiry Tom.

We will be looking at that model this Fall. I will place your request in our R18C folder for future reference.
Craig Stenger
Clearview Shields
Mon-Fri 9am-5pm MST
800 798 6089 | [email protected]

I'm pretty sure that it was based on looks. I have an MRA top extension, and while it helps, it's not perfect. I have my 1250 for more serious touring. I rode 250 miles this weekend on the R18 with half of those on the highway. There really was no problem without the screen. I consider the R18 my fair weather rider anyway, so there really isn't much need for me to have the screen. Others will use the bike differently, so I understand the desire to get it right.

Attachments

• 6AEDC9A6-1A58-4DCC-BB15-8DE844D898BD.jpeg
    6AEDC9A6-1A58-4DCC-BB15-8DE844D898BD.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 75
Back