Crash Bar Options for Bagger Model

LCRC18B

Hello Friends,

I was researching crash bar options for the R 18 B. I see the DK Designs Crash bars, https://www.dkdesign-global.com/product-page/dkdesign-bmw-r18-engine-crash-bar, which say they are suitable for all models. Does anyone know for sure if these will fit on the B model?

There appears to be this option too:
Wunderlich Engine Protection Bar
Any thoughts on these or other known good options?

Are there options to protect the side bags or will the crash bar generally prevent it from leaning far enough over to contact the bags?

Thanks for any feedback and sorry if it's already been discussed in detail. I tried the search but maybe I missed it...

They email me back saying they cannot confirm it will fit. They do not have a bagger model to try it onto….. they look really nice imo

The BMW factory bar works on both models, wunderlich has a bar out that also works. Wunderlich’s standard R18 bar, the steering stabilizer hits at full lock, they redesigned a bar to fit the bagger. We have installed both at our dealer, if they have not test fit to a bagger I would be leery of the fitment for that model due to the steering damper.

I installed the BMW factory bars on my bagger, and later hit the crash bar in a fast left turn scrapping them, and my rear bag was not damaged.

Note: when the crash bar hit the ground, the bike had enough momentum to kick back upwards and I didn’t wreck the bike.

So, in conclusion, I recommend BMW’s bars, and can verify in that scenario the bags will be undamaged.

Also, the bolts are sold separately. Make sure the parts guy knows that.

I installed the BMW factory bars on my bagger, and later hit the crash bar in a fast left turn scrapping them, and my rear bag was not damaged.

Note: when the crash bar hit the ground, the bike had enough momentum to kick back upwards and I didn’t wreck the bike.

So, in conclusion, I recommend BMW’s bars, and can verify in that scenario the bags will be undamaged.

Also, the bolts are sold separately. Make sure the parts guy knows that.
Glad to hear that you didn't wreck. Forgive my ignorance, did the crash bar hit the ground because of the lean angle or because you started to go down? Does the crash bar hit before the pegs scrape?

It's probably worth noting that the engine protection bar will only provide a near stop drop of the bike and NOT a "crash"; I went with the OEM BMW Engine Protection Bar, this was mostly due to my plans of adding the TC Lower Leg Wind Protection - which mounts onto the Engine Protection Bar.

I also had the Wunderlich Rear Case Protection Bar; I removed & returned them due to two items: 1) I noticed that the protection bars were making contact with my rear swing arm; Wunderlich is re-designing the bars and they removed them from the website. 2) Another forum member purchased the Wunderlich Case Protection Bars for this TC model, where he safely laid his bike down onto the existing OEM BMW Engine Protection Bar and took before and after pictures of the Exhaust and Rear Case potential contact areas without and with the Wunderlich Rear Case Protection bars installed. It turns out that adding the Wunderlich doesn't add any additional contact protection of the exhaust or case beyond what the OEM engine protection bar already offers. Hopefully the engineers at Wunderlich will take that aspect into the re-design of the rear case protection bars. The Wunderlich rear case protection bar certainly provide a great handhold or purchase point if needing to lift a dropped bike; if lifting it in that style. (I couldn't find the earlier post that I mentioned above, but there is lots of good information on the site once you decide on a particular brand of protection bar.)

Glad to hear that you didn't wreck. Forgive my ignorance, did the crash bar hit the ground because of the lean angle or because you started to go down? Does the crash bar hit before the pegs scrape?
It went down because I hit a patch of sandy/gravel going too fast in too hard a lean. A mess of my own making. I've made similarly aggressive curves on roads and the only thing I scrape is the nut at the bottom of the foot board. That's usually my standard indicator that I shouldn't lean any more, heh.

I've scuffed both (Left & Right side) of the replaceable pegs mounted on the bottom of my floorboards; it never occurred to me that my engine protection bar was in jeopardy of also scraping the pavement?

I've scuffed both (Left & Right side) of the replaceable pegs mounted on the bottom of my floorboards; it never occurred to me that my engine protection bar was in jeopardy of also scraping the pavement?
I wouldn't think so either, but a bunch of the ads for crash bars mention that it might reduce cornering clearance. I'm thinking it doesn't really affect our bikes.

Back