Dropped your R18 yet?

Cheshire Cat

Site Supporter
Elite Member
Hi all
Following a five hour test ride on the R18 I bit the bullet and ordered the R18 Classic. Collect it early September as having to wait on a slightly customised paint job.

My question:
Any of you folks had the misfortune to drop their R18? Over a period of years I suffered three low speed, stationary drops on my Harley Fat Bob and was amazed to suffer virtually no damage. This bike leaves me a little unsettled when carrying out low speed manoeuvres and I am hoping time in the saddle will help in this area. Just wondering if, should the worst happen, will I even be able to pick the thing up again never mind the cost of damage. I guess it will be encouraging if this post receives limited response.

Hi all
Following a five hour test ride on the R18 I bit the bullet and ordered the R18 Classic. Collect it early September as having to wait on a slightly customised paint job.

My question:
Any of you folks had the misfortune to drop their R18? Over a period of years I suffered three low speed, stationary drops on my Harley Fat Bob and was amazed to suffer virtually no damage. This bike leaves me a little unsettled when carrying out low speed manoeuvres and I am hoping time in the saddle will help in this area. Just wondering if, should the worst happen, will I even be able to pick the thing up again never mind the cost of damage. I guess it will be encouraging if this post receives limited response.
Bite your tongue! (And find a lonely parking lot and practice slow speed maneuvers by the book - head & eyes, steady throttle, friction zone, drag rear brake) You will quickly acclimate and learn to love the slow speed characteristics of this bike. FWIW u-turns and very-slow speed maneuvers are far easier in "Roll" than in "Rock" while you're learning the handling differences between this bike and an HD because the throttle response is smoother...

Hi all

My question:
I am hoping to keep the bike upright since,I am having Hannigan install a sidecar in November.Otherwise,I would go for the Black Engine Guard.

Regards,Tom

Bite your tongue! (And find a lonely parking lot and practice slow speed maneuvers by the book - head & eyes, steady throttle, friction zone, drag rear brake) You will quickly acclimate and learn to love the slow speed characteristics of this bike. FWIW u-turns and very-slow speed maneuvers are far easier in "Roll" than in "Rock" while you're learning the handling differences between this bike and an HD because the throttle response is smoother...
Many thanks for your advice. I had it in my own mind to do exactly that but good to read exactly what I should be practicing on that lonely space. :)

I tipped mine over. We were on a dirt road. Front tire hit a mud spot, over we went, No damage except some scratches on the bottom side of the valve cover and exhaust.

David

I tipped mine over. We were on a dirt road. Front tire hit a mud spot, over we went, No damage except some scratches on the bottom side of the valve cover and exhaust.

David
Thanks David. Sounds reassuring. Were you able to lift it back up easy enough?

On my Harley Softail Slim S and Fatboy I've had the misfortune of letting them "nap". Both times in my garage because the Jiffy stand wasn't extended all the way. The interesting thing is where the boards mounted the bottom of the bracket. They touched before anything else. So no visible damage. The thing about the R18 it's going to scratch the head covers....

I dropped mine once, very low speed on a concrete gutter.
Got small dents on the right valve cover. Hardly visible.
Couldn't get it right alone, because my right arm haven't healed completely after a serious surgery.
I've installed engine guards since.

With my first R18, I hit a deer and went off into a ditch full of leaves and branches. I was going about 35 mph at the time.

The bike was on it's side right on top of the deer cylinders straight up and down. It was easy enough to pick up off of the deer.
With reverse, I was able to get it mostly out of the ditch but got stuck on a tree stump. I had to get help from a passing motorist from there.

I'm a small light guy,150-155 lb and I don't think I would have any issues picking it up in just about any situation.

The bike ended up on a ditch after sliding on the road for a bit. The bottom of the cylinder head cover was ground away but it was ridable. Stationary or slow speed drops should only cause cosmetic damage to a cylinder head cover.
It was totaled as sum of all the small damages added up to be too much.

Happily, I haven't dropped my second R18... yet? lol.

TLDR: Easy to pick up; easy to maneuver; should only cause small cosmetic damage

Attachments

• PXL_20201122_221208120 - Copy.jpg
    PXL_20201122_221208120 - Copy.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 138
  • PXL_20201123_233814996 - Copy.jpg
    PXL_20201123_233814996 - Copy.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 135
With my first R18, I hit a deer and went off into a ditch full of leaves and branches. I was going about 35 mph at the time.

The bike was on it's side right on top of the deer cylinders straight up and down. It was easy enough to pick up off of the deer.
With reverse, I was able to get it mostly out of the ditch but got stuck on a tree stump. I had to get help from a passing motorist from there.

I'm a small light guy,150-155 lb and I don't think I would have any issues picking it up in just about any situation.

The bike ended up on a ditch after sliding on the road for a bit. The bottom of the cylinder head cover was ground away but it was ridable. Stationary or slow speed drops should only cause cosmetic damage to a cylinder head cover.
It was totaled as sum of all the small damages added up to be too much.

Happily, I haven't dropped my second R18... yet? lol.

TLDR: Easy to pick up; easy to maneuver; should only cause small cosmetic damage
No exaggeration there then. Plain for all to see with dear still included. :)

Hi all

My question:
😂 I was putting my TC in a wheel chock that wasn’t tight enough and it went to the left, fortunately my garage floor has garage carpet on it, no damage that I can find, it was sitting on the crash bar and the rear of the left saddle bag, however it took two of us fit 60 year olds a LOT of energy to lift it. I’m just praying I never drop it in the middle of no where by myself, you would never lift it 🙈

Hi all

My question:
Just dropped my 21 First Edition in a parking lot - slow speed. Let clutch out too fast and jerked the bike. Dumb move #1. Fortunately I have crash bars - bar took the impact and is a bit scratched but was not able to see any other damage.

Dumb move #2 was being embarrassed and trying to lift the bike quickly. Back popped and I am hobbling around now hoping it’s just a strain.

Had to get another guy in the lot to help me lift it…

Started ok and seems fine. Not sure about me. I mean who gets injured after the bike drops? Me I guess.

Was a good day till then kinda ended sucky.

Just dropped my 21 First Edition in a parking lot - slow speed. Let clutch out too fast and jerked the bike. Dumb move #1. Fortunately I have crash bars - bar took the impact and is a bit scratched but was not able to see any other damage.

Dumb move #2 was being embarrassed and trying to lift the bike quickly. Back popped and I am hobbling around now hoping it’s just a strain.

Had to get another guy in the lot to help me lift it…

Started ok and seems fine. Not sure about me. I mean who gets injured after the bike drops? Me I guess.

Was a good day till then kinda ended sucky.
Sorry that happened to you

Hi all

My question:
Fit motrrad engine bars do the job fine dropped mine twice last when your not moving you have to watch foot slipped on gravel 1st time and freind patted me on back in gas station 2nd time think everybody has wee dropsy but don't admit it

"This bike leaves me a little unsettled when carrying out low speed manoeuvres and I am hoping time in the saddle will help in this area."

I know exactly what you mean. I've had my TC for almost a year now, and the weight was a little (lot?) overwhelming at low speed, especially with a passenger at first. With deliberate low speed practice and time in the saddle my unease is gone. I've never dropped the bike but I'm hoping proper technique will save me if I ever do. 960 lbs is a lot of weight, there's no way around it. "Don't drop it!!" is always top of mind at low speeds, uneven ground, gravel, etc.

I have been PETRIFIED of dropping Alcina, even getting saddlebag crashbars just in case. Luckily (knock on wood), I haven't had the misfortune yet. What I need to do is practice my "short game", doing parking lot maneuvers until I can at least look somewhat like a cop going around one of their obstacle courses.

On another note: Does anyone know if anyone sells entire-motorcycle airbags like these?

New-Design-Inflatable-Zorbing-Ball-On-Sale-3M-Diamater-Inflatable-Hamster-Ball-For-Human-PVC-TPU.jpg

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Mike

Man, I got close last week. Gravel parking area, backed in. A second's inattention and a split second off the hand brake and the bike rolled back a bit and it was off balance. Used every bit of strength I had to keep it from dropping and got her back up. Jeez I was concerned. Whew!

Back