DYI MANUAL FOR DYI REPAIRS AND MAINTENANCE

Gr8adv

Hi all. This is a thread to attempt to help everyone with the growing trend for lack of maintenance manuals and information.

Please post video, instructions or links so others can watch, learn and do.

Please keep the chatter to a minimum so as not to clutter the thread.
This is not a place to air your complaints about bmw.
Use the like button instead of a reply with “good job or thanks”

PLS CONTACT THE POSTER TO ASK QUESTIONS OR GET MORE INFO. if we clutter the thread with questions and answers we will never find anything.

PLS IF YOU HAVE AN UPDATE OR CLARIFICATION TO YOUR POST PLEASE UPDATE THE ORIGINAL THREAD AND NOT CREATE AN ADDITIONAL POST. This will keep the Information condensed and easy to find.

Consider contacting the Poster with a message to add to or modify their post. For example if someone posts with torque specs and you have more, message them to update their account. Posting the request in the thread will only complicate the thread.

Last edited:
Check YouTube. I can't recall the guy's name but there is a guy that has videos on R18 maintenance. I going to the dealer for this year's oil change and my TFT issues. After this years scheduled maintenance I'll just do my own.

Factory instructions for Oil Changes for the R18 base model. I have no idea if the other bikes are the same (I'd assume the Classic is but...)

View attachment 6314View attachment 6315View attachment 6316View attachment 6317
Updated the attached PDF with Torque Specifications & Air Filter replacement:

Oil Drain Plug (8 mm Allen) 28 Nm
Oil Filter (P/N 554) 11 Nm
Transmission Fill Plug (8 mm Allen) 28 Nm
Transmission Drain Plug (19 mm Socket) 28 Nm
Rear Drive Gear Fill Plug (6 mm Allen) 25 Nm
Rear Drive Drain Plug (Torx T-45) 20 Nm

1688225745925.png

1688225913012.png

Attachments

• R18 Annual Scheduled Maintenance.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 52
Last edited:
I'm trying to get the torque specifications for the following, in order to include within the attached worksheet:

Oil Drain Plug (8 mm Allen) 28 Nm
Oil Filter (P/N 554) 11 Nm
Transmission Fill Plug (8 mm Allen)
Transmission Drain Plug (19 mm Socket)
Rear Drive Gear Fill Plug (6 mm Allen)
Rear Drive Drain Plug (Torx T-45)
It would be great to get some torque values for the transmission drain and fill plugs, as well as the rear gear drive; I don't want to assume that the same torque value can be used for the engine oil drain plug.

Would really appreciate some instructions on how to remove the chrome parts on the bike to black out the chrome. E.g. Chrome on side of hardbags and chrome on the fuel tank/phone holder. Video would be really really awesome. Thanks in advance!

Would really appreciate some instructions on how to remove the chrome parts on the bike to black out the chrome. E.g. Chrome on side of hardbags and chrome on the fuel tank/phone holder. Video would be really really awesome. Thanks in advaI

Would really appreciate some instructions on how to remove the chrome parts on the bike to black out the chrome. E.g. Chrome on side of hardbags and chrome on the fuel tank/phone holder. Video would be really really awesome. Thanks in advance!
I used vinyl wrap to cover my 'annoying' chrome pieces, bssed on a recommendation from another member here. Works great on the phone holder cover and the top case trim. On another thread I posted up some photos of removing the phone holder cover; it's easy.
The vinyl wrap is also pretty easy BUT a bit fiddly: needs a very clean surface and patience.

https://www.r18forums.com/threads/vinyl-wrap-on-blinding-chrome-on-tc-fuel-tank.1232/post-26926

Last edited:
I used vinyl wrap to cover my 'annoying' chrome pieces, bssed on a recommendation from another member here. Works great on the phone holder cover and the top case trim. On another thread I posted up some photos of removing the phone holder cover; it's easy.
The vinyl wrap is also pretty easy BUT a bit fiddly: needs a very clean surface and patience.

https://www.r18forums.com/threads/vinyl-wrap-on-blinding-chrome-on-tc-fuel-tank.1232/post-26926
Thanks for sharing! Greatly appreciated.

Back