Engine fault light

TodkaVonic

Site Supporter
Elite Member
Hey everyone. Got caught in a downpour about 20 miles from home. The rain was pretty steady, not torrential, but soaked me pretty good. Anyhow, about 15 miles out, my engine fault light lit up and then flashed. The engine ran sluggish but never turned off or seemed to struggle. I limped home to dry off. Looking in the manual, it's an indication of something bad---an engine fault---but that's about as specific as it gets. I've contacted my dealership and set up an appointment. Anyone else have anything similar happen? I imagine it's a sensor someplace and that the rain contributed. Not super impressed with that because, you know, it's just rain. Well I guess it didn't leave me stranded AND in the rain.

Hey everyone. Got caught in a downpour about 20 miles from home. The rain was pretty steady, not torrential, but soaked me pretty good. Anyhow, about 15 miles out, my engine fault light lit up and then flashed. The engine ran sluggish but never turned off or seemed to struggle. I limped home to dry off. Looking in the manual, it's an indication of something bad---an engine fault---but that's about as specific as it gets. I've contacted my dealership and set up an appointment. Anyone else have anything similar happen? I imagine it's a sensor someplace and that the rain contributed. Not super impressed with that because, you know, it's just rain. Well I guess it didn't leave me stranded AND in the rain.
Could be something your trusty leaf blower could sort out...

Water does strange things to electrical systems, if the Trip to the dealer is a laborious task I would disconnect the ground and give it a few minutes and then reconnect and see if that clears it up. The dealer will still be able find out what was recorded as the fault at a later time. But it could save you a special trip to the dealer. If after the disconnect the fault returns you know it needs attention otherwise you know it was a one off water thing.

Water does strange things to electrical systems, if the Trip to the dealer is a laborious task I would disconnect the ground and give it a few minutes and then reconnect and see if that clears it up. The dealer will still be able find out what was recorded as the fault at a later time. But it could save you a special trip to the dealer. If after the disconnect the fault returns you know it needs attention otherwise you know it was a one off water thing.
It's a 5 hour round trip, so, yes, unfortunately, not convenient. I'm trying the disconnect-the-battery thing now. I wonder how the gs-911 is coming along? Still not updated for the R18? It'd be nice to know that, for example, it's an exhaust sensor, or something totally not scary like that. Then at least I could ride it without feeling like I'm hurting something.

It's a 5 hour round trip, so, yes, unfortunately, not convenient. I'm trying the disconnect-the-battery thing now. I wonder how the gs-911 is coming along? Still not updated for the R18? It'd be nice to know that, for example, it's an exhaust sensor, or something totally not scary like that. Then at least I could ride it without feeling like I'm hurting something.
And I was serious about the leaf blower or any device that can move a lot of air...water can find its way into many things and air can be your friend. Compressed air is a little extreme so if you try that route dial it down considerably...just enough to move water droplets out of places they shouldn't be in. I have an "Air Force" motorcycle dryer and it works like a champ for such things. Use around ignition components and handlebar switches exposed electrical connections....

Just some info:
I disconnected the battery when installing the Corbin seat.It brought up a service code date for the next service.
Also,the day I bought my bike I got caught in a very heavy downpour riding home for about 1 hour.
No issues so,I would have your bike checked at the dealer & not disconnect the battery or clear any codes.

just my 2 cents

Regards,Tom

Thanks GP and Tom. I'll 100% have it checked. The best I am hoping for is that the light doesn't flash, but, even having said that, I won't ride it until this is sorted out.

/just hooked up the battery again...30 minutes with the battery disconnected didn't help.

Last edited:
GS-911WIFI is worth its weight in gold…. I never ride without it.
Please let us know what made your R18 unhappy. I ride 4 seasons in all weather and need to be prepared.

Todka,

Your bike is under warranty. You should call the dealer and tell them to pick it up, have it diagnosed, and bring it back. If you've got a fault light on, you (and the dealer) will not want to risk engine damage.

I'm sure it's probably nothing, but here is when you need to lean on BMW's reputation and demand service.

Todka,

Your bike is under warranty. You should call the dealer and tell them to pick it up, have it diagnosed, and bring it back. If you've got a fault light on, you (and the dealer) will not want to risk engine damage.

I'm sure it's probably nothing, but here is when you need to lean on BMW's reputation and demand service.
I'm outside the pick up radius by 75 miles. I have a trailer and am used to driving into Minneapolis to have cars/bikes serviced. It'd be nice if they could pick it up, but I bought knowing that that wasn't in the cards. My appointment is for next week. We'll hopefully have some answers.

Thanks GP and Tom. I'll 100% have it checked. The best I am hoping for is that the light doesn't flash, but, even having said that, I won't ride it until this is sorted out.

/just hooked up the battery again...30 minutes with the battery disconnected didn't help.
Have you tried drying it out (or letting it dry out) and starting it again yet?

Update: She's been sitting since Thursday. My leathers are finally dry. Just conditioned everything. Thankfully I was wearing an older jacket. Starts up without issue. Still getting the engine fault light. I'm taking it to the shop on Wednesday.

Update: She's been sitting since Thursday. My leathers are finally dry. Just conditioned everything. Thankfully I was wearing an older jacket. Starts up without issue. Still getting the engine fault light. I'm taking it to the shop on Wednesday.
You gonna ride it to the dealer?

Regards,Tom

You gonna ride it to the dealer?

Regards,Tom
Oh no, no. I'll trailer it. The service manager tells me that they'll have an answer pretty quickly but parts may be an issue, yaddi, yaddi. I'm expecting to leave without it. Maybe I'll make the trip worthwhile and go get a Jucy Lucy at Matt's

Last edited:
Took her to the shop today and now back home. The diagnostics show the following faults

1) 3A1DA0 Detection of misfiring
2) 80401C Electronic Immobilizer (EWS): Ring aerial
3) 804032 Electronic Immobilizef (EWS): Internal control unit fault

The tech said that #'s 2 could arise with, say, starting the bike and then walking away with the key. I've done that a few times. #3 was listed as having happened when the mileage was -1. Yes, -1. He didn't know what to make of that, but not to worry about it. Which leaves #1. He had no idea. Said it was the left cylinder. Took the cover off and inspected the coils the plugs. Nothing looked amiss. No moisture. Nada. They took her out for a test ride. No issues.

All the codes were cleared and we're home again. 5 hours and a $60 tank of gas BUT, while in Minneapolis, I went to my very favorite burger place in the world---Matt's Bar. I had a Jucy Lucy (the original and best), a half order of fries, and a Grain Belt beer.

Not too shabby. The updated gs-911 for R18 can't come soon enough though.

Last edited:
Glad it was nothing serious, thanks for the update
Me too. But I'm also left with this ominous "it was only rain" feeling. I can't worry about riding in the rain. I mean, I hate riding in the rain enough, and avoid it avidly, but to also worry about an engine issue ON MY DEPENDABLE BIKE is fairly annoying. I have a perfectly unreliable Moto Guzzi which fills that niche just fine, thank you. I'll let it sit as a one-off event for now. Nobody here has mentioned similar so I'm fairly confident it was just a freaky thing. If it happens again though...gs-911 to clear the codes and to get me out of emergency riding mode, whether it's updated or not.

Me too. But I'm also left with this ominous "it was only rain" feeling. I can't worry about riding in the rain. I mean, I hate riding in the rain enough, and avoid it avidly, but to also worry about an engine issue ON MY DEPENDABLE BIKE is fairly annoying. I have a perfectly unreliable Moto Guzzi which fills that niche just fine, thank you. I'll let it sit as a one-off event for now. Nobody here has mentioned similar so I'm fairly confident it was just a freaky thing. If it happens again though...gs-911 to clear the codes and to get me out of emergency riding mode, whether it's updated or not.
I agree with you here.Kinda sux but hopefully it was just a glitch.

Regards,Tom

When you get a means to clear fault codes (remember alternatives to GS911 already exist and can be found in this forum), get you and your bike comfortable in a fairly dark area, start it, and with a spray bottle filled with water lightly move the throttle back and forth with one hand while lightly spraying your spark plug wires and see if you can either hear a misfire or see faint blueish arcing tracking the mist. You might just find that pesky hi-voltage leak that only becomes present in rain. And if you do, replace the wire and clear the code, and buy a hamburger on your timeline.

Back