Engine Protection Skid Plate

Gerard

Premium Member
I received today the Engine Protection Skid Plate from DK design.
Link
And installed it.
All stainless. The skid itself is painted Grey or black.
No special problem, strait forward job, except one washer was missing.
I had some to replace it.

Please don't comment my dirty and poorly equipped garage ... 🤣

WhatsApp Image 2021-03-18 at 17.34.48.jpeg

skid plate 12.jpeg

skid plate 11.jpeg

The two screws which will receive the backward holder.
They need to be replaced by the two longer ones from the kit.

skid plate 10.jpeg

The two front holders installed in the available unused threaded holes

skid plate 9.jpeg

The back older:

skid plate 8.jpeg

skid plate 7.jpeg

skid plate 6.jpeg

skid plate 5.jpeg

skid plate 4.jpeg

Job done.
Must be noticed that the skid plate has to be removed ( the four underneath screws) for oil and filter change.

Last edited:
Cut a hole for this, then cut a hole for that, pretty soon you’ll wonder what it’s protecting

Looks nice, Gerard.

I have the DK front fender en route. Great communication & reasonable prices. They’re proving to be a responsive and reliable mod supplier for our R18

Cut a hole for this, then cut a hole for that, pretty soon you’ll wonder what it’s protecting

Looks nice, Gerard.

I have the DK front fender en route. Great communication & reasonable prices. They’re proving to be a responsive and reliable mod supplier for our R18
You are right. Just what is it actually protecting, since everything is recessed.
Though it does decrease the ground clearance.
"Looks nice"? If you could crawl under the bike or attach a mirror for the general public.

In the following, I intend no offense to anyone or to DK Design.

Since 1999, I've done a lot of work trips to the Geneva vicinity in Switzerland and France and they are speed bump crazy. And they make them in all sorts of sizes and shapes. Some are individual square plateaus ranging from just a few feet in each direction to large enough to span two lanes. Others are like half of a log across the road and can range from a few inches high to significantly more. Sometimes you go UP on entering a village and don't go back DOWN until you get to the town exit. One gent who I worked with told me that they are sometimes called "sleeping policemen", for the apparent conclusion that they slow up the traffic without needing a cop around. So... I get it. Some of the speed bumps in Europe can be a crankcase killer. Here in America, I've never seem such variety or seen them designed so potentially deadly to a motorcycle engine. Unless a rider often rode on unpaved, gnarly roads, which is definetly NOT what the R18 was made for, is there another reason to have a skid plate on a $22K street bike?

Back