Final Drive Warranty/Replacement (600 Mile Service)

HanseDavion

Dealer just informed me the final drive on my R18 needs to be replaced. Bike has never been dropped and is otherwise pristine. Issue was discovered while the dealer was performing the 600 mile initial service. I will try to get more details, but it sounds like when they were changing the fluid a large chunk of the final drive came out.

Notably, I rode the bike to the shop today for the service and had zero issues or problems that I could tell. So to the extent its a problem, it didn't seem to affect riding the bike all that much.

But of course, the part needs to be ordered and will likely need to come direct from Germany. So it seems like I will be without the bike for a while.

Dealer told me there are 3 in stock but they are all in Germany. So the dealer estimates about two weeks at a minimum.

I guess one nice thing is the dealer on their own accord noticed there are two color choices (black and grey). My bike came stock with the grey but I most certainly would prefer the black. The let me choose which color I wanted. Given the part is normally $3K retail that will be a nice extra little touch.

Right! it is good that they noticed it before the bike potentially stranded you... or worse.

I glad there will be an upside for you!

Dealer just informed me the final drive on my R18 needs to be replaced. Bike has never been dropped and is otherwise pristine. Issue was discovered while the dealer was performing the 600 mile initial service. I will try to get more details, but it sounds like when they were changing the fluid a large chunk of the final drive came out.

Notably, I rode the bike to the shop today for the service and had zero issues or problems that I could tell. So to the extent its a problem, it didn't seem to affect riding the bike all that much.

But of course, the part needs to be ordered and will likely need to come direct from Germany. So it seems like I will be without the bike for a while.
What part must be replaced?

Had to pester my dealer a bit to get an update. Apparently their was an issue getting the drive released from Germany. Its now expected to be at the dealer by the end of the month. Quite a bit longer than originally expected. I am still unsure what this "issue" actually was.

Hope others dont have similar issues.

Glad to hear your problem was resolved and I actually prefer the black replacement unit.

Just wondering how you like the Freedom exhaust? I've been looking at it and want to get some feedback from a few R18 owners before deciding on a replacement exhaust. Do you have the baffles and is it a deep sound without the baffles? Somewhat loud but not obnoxious? Thanks!

Exhaust is great. Bafflers are installed but its still significantly deeper and louder. I dont find it obnoxious but maybe others would. Gives a lot of nice pops when decelerating and shifting. Would recommend. Definitely makes it sound like what an 1800cc should sound like.

Exhaust is great. Bafflers are installed but its still significantly deeper and louder. I dont find it obnoxious but maybe others would. Gives a lot of nice pops when decelerating and shifting. Would recommend. Definitely makes it sound like what an 1800cc should sound like.
Do you have the Bren Tune?
After the tune my bike quit popping and sounds deeper with a crisper exhaust note running stock mufflers.

Thanks for the feedback!

There was some talk about the problem of final drive failure on the single swing arm models back when the R1200C bike came out in the James Bond movie (1997). I never had a problem with mine.
It surprises me that a double swing arm final drive would fail since the loads are supported on both sides of the axle. The single swing arm is sexy but I have no idea how BMW could build a bearing so robust that it could handle all those loads.

I never actually saw the alleged chunk at issue that supposedly came out of my drive. I didnt notice any impact on riding. I also just had my new warranty drive replacement undergo the required break in oil change. No issue with the new one.

There was some talk about the problem of final drive failure on the single swing arm models back when the R1200C bike came out in the James Bond movie (1997). I never had a problem with mine.
It surprises me that a double swing arm final drive would fail since the loads are supported on both sides of the axle. The single swing arm is sexy but I have no idea how BMW could build a bearing so robust that it could handle all those loads.
The issue with the R1200c models was there was no breather valve. If the oil was filled a LITTLE too much, it would expand out of the seals, causing catastrophic oil loss and burn up the final drive.
The solution we always used was to fill LESS than the recommended oil. That way, when it expanded when heating, it wouldn't push out the seals and cause said catastrophic oil loss.

Mike

Back