Fishtail mods.

Gr8adv

Ok. It's time for a fishtail only thread.

I like the sound from the modded fishtails at TheToyShop but the cost of shipping to and from makes it prohibitive in the US. So it's up to me....

Anybody else grabbed a drill or grinder yet?

Looking at the units there is a short run from the flapper valve to the single baffle.

The baffle appears simple with a few holes.

From there it is a relatively narrow chamber inside the fishtail with sound proofing.

Attachments

• B2D1BBC9-5906-4741-8936-EAF5E7F3EDF5.png
    B2D1BBC9-5906-4741-8936-EAF5E7F3EDF5.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 57
Ok. It's time for a fishtail only thread.

I like the sound from the modded fishtails at TheToyShop but the cost of shipping to and from makes it prohibitive in the US. So it's up to me....

Anybody else grabbed a drill or grinder yet?
Do you have a URL link to TheToyShop?

The only options I can see are:

-Drill more holes in the baffle
-remove the baffle
-remove some sound insulation
- extend the pipe past the baffle which would in theory 'shorten' the sound proofing section.

Any thoughts??

I haven't modified them yet.
As I have already said, I love the original FE fish tails, and once the engine is running in (mine is around 7500 km), the sound is much more present, especially in rock mode

I'm curious about mods as well. My sweetie loves the look, but I'd like a few more dbs, but not Supertrapp loud or something like that. With other bikes drilling a couple 1/4" holes in the baffle plate did the job, but not sure that's going to work here. I'm curious what other people try.

I'm curious about mods as well. My sweetie loves the look, but I'd like a few more dbs, but not Supertrapp loud or something like that. With other bikes drilling a couple 1/4" holes in the baffle plate did the job, but not sure that's going to work here. I'm curious what other people try.
Drilling and/or cutting out a majority of the baffle looks most simple and likely doable from the outside without having to window the can. So I will likely try this first. Then window the header and remove the cat. @BT Moto says their flash will compensate for that without ticking off the nannies.

I have no baseline as to the Beni of this. So will just have to try. Fortunately I have a second complete set of FE exhaust pieces from tip to tail, so if it goes sideways I have a fallback.

The only options I can see are:

-Drill more holes in the baffle
-remove the baffle
-remove some sound insulation
- extend the pipe past the baffle which would in theory 'shorten' the sound proofing section.

Any thoughts??
I like the way you think. Appears the Cat stays and the job involves sheet metal skills and a Plasma Cutter.

E6BA5958-21BF-448B-9B75-A76FA680F16E.png

Put me in the "I really like the stock cans" category. They're sexy and

A2CF109B-A630-4BA0-8CAB-342511C32D88.jpeg

So much more interesting than straight pipes. There will probably be something more desirable in the future, but not yet,

/not that I'm against modding the internals
//just leave the shapely shape alone, mkay.

Interesting in any way you want to interpret it. The baffle has 4 holes. See pic above. On mine the baffle is placed in such a way that one of the holes is blocked by the back of the exhaust. Only three holes of the baffle are in use. Same on both pipes.

Put me in the "I really like the stock cans" category. They're sexy and

View attachment 3595

So much more interesting than straight pipes. There will probably be something more desirable in the future, but not yet,

/not that I'm against modding the internals
//just leave the shapely shape alone, mkay.
Yup agree. Just want a bit more rumble. Nothing over the top. Just a bit louder than the R engine

For those following along at home. The glacial pace continues. First baffle drilled out and removed. No cutting of the unit involved.

The original holes in the baffle seemed quite large, so I wasn't expecting much. But I must admit the new look is substantially more open.

Have you seen this thread Gr8adv?

I did. Thanks. The pics I have shown above are from that link. I actually think that The OP who posted they might be the same guy who does the mod, and/or is associated to him somehow.

Back