Gas question

• Thread starter Deleted member 1344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1344

I just found out the gas station nearest my residence is selling 30% ethyl alcohol and 20% ethyl alcohol. I assumed it was 10%. There is a station 3 miles down the road selling 1) no ethyl alcohol and 2) 10% ethyl alcohol.

My R18TC is full of the 30% stuff so I drove it around for an hour, then added 1 gallon of real gas. Can 30% ethyl alcohol damage the fuel system?

I would look in your manual to see if it’s recommended or not. That should help you decide. I haven’t looked but in the UK I think upto 10% is ok albeit I never choose it. I run what we call super unleaded at 5% or less ethanol.

I just found out the gas station nearest my residence is selling 30% ethyl alcohol and 20% ethyl alcohol. I assumed it was 10%. There is a station 3 miles down the road selling 1) no ethyl alcohol and 2) 10% ethyl alcohol.

My R18TC is full of the 30% stuff so I drove it around for an hour, then added 1 gallon of real gas. Can 30% ethyl alcohol damage the fuel system?
Avoid ethanol as much as possible. It's poison for *gasoline* engines ..

I think corn fuel can't be not-bueno particularly if it sits for too long. That's why in older OBs, because boats tend to sit, it would damage them; gas tanks, too. I'd imagine, Yamaha, Honda et al have adapted newer tech to cope with that. But yeah... corn good for the tummy, not good for the car/motorcycle. See if you can find, even if it's 89, a corn-free gas nearby. It's more $$, but you'd only spend about $15 or so topping off.

And get ready for the future, because fuel will be made from trash, etc. See the announcement from F1 for their 2026 PUs? And we all laughed when the professor put trash in the DeLorean.

Always use NO Ethanol for best results...

Years and years using 25% of Ethanol in all kind of brands. Audi, BMW (cars en bikes), Mercedes, Harley. No issues, do it. There is a huge world outside the north hemisphere...

That is encouraging……but I do see warnings at some gas stations about this issue.
I’ll probably not put E85 in my R18B

You’ll possibly find your mpg improves with lower ethanol content if that’s a consideration. It’s certainly been noticed here in the UK with the switch from 5% to 10% in “regular” unleaded.

The "E" means Ethanol, and the number means the percentage of Ethanol of the product. E85 means 85% of Ethanol and just 15% of Gasoline. That product is know as "Flex Fuel" and is no compatible with Motorcycles...

The max percentage of "tolerable" Ethanol that I know is in Brazil, with +-27%. In my country we used between 21% and 25% and is absolutely perfect for those brand I listed in the post

The new $ 0.7 trillion budget that just passed is raising the tax on non-corn gas.

Down here in Kansas a gas station chain known as JumpStart is selling E30. Just learned this.

I just rode from NC to WA and there was a huge difference in MPG when running actual gasoline v. A perfect waste of good corn liquor. Conditions were very controlled as I rode between 500-600 miles per day and mostly on cruise control even while on the back roads and temperatures didn’t deviate a wide range either. 41-50 MPG averages were the range by display and doing the math which made for a couple extra stops a day on the R18 Classic with the smaller petrol capacity. Some long stretches with spotty service out west so I started looking for a station around 125 miles rather my normal 160 +/-. Bike ran fine on all of the different blends and thankfully ny “weekender” seat arrived the day before I left as it worked perfectly.

I just rode from NC to WA and there was a huge difference in MPG when running actual gasoline v. A perfect waste of good corn liquor. Conditions were very controlled as I rode between 500-600 miles per day and mostly on cruise control even while on the back roads and temperatures didn’t deviate a wide range either. 41-50 MPG averages were the range by display and doing the math which made for a couple extra stops a day on the R18 Classic with the smaller petrol capacity. Some long stretches with spotty service out west so I started looking for a station around 125 miles rather my normal 160 +/-. Bike ran fine on all of the different blends and thankfully ny “weekender” seat arrived the day before I left as it worked perfectly.
Welcome to the Best Coast.

Welcome to the Best Coast.
Actually the best part of my many cross country rides have been people met along the way and how beautifully varied each region is. Never disappointed and always wets my appetite for more, just wish I had more innings in my game as my Bucket List just gets longer and longer!

🍻🍻🍻

I am very fortunate. Down here I can pick from several different gas stations that offer 100% gas. I haven't used anything other than 100% gas in any of my vehicles for years. I only use ethanol blended gas occasionally when I travel and that's all there is. Of course, I'm travelling so it is burned off before I get home and replace it.

Back