Greetings from NW Idaho

IDRider

Site Supporter
Just a quick hello to all the forum members. This is Michael from NW Idaho (Sandpoint) and the closest BMW dealer made me an offer for a 30 mile demo bike I just couldn’t refuse. So now I have a 2021 R18 FE in the garage while still having icy roads outside. Bummer, but this allows me to complete several mods based on a lot of the great info on here. I might just have to add some studs to these tires if spring doesn’t show up soon. Now that would be a worthy new member video.

Greetings from another ice locked northern hemispherin'! I too bought a new 18 about two weeks ago. It has approx. 4 miles on it...rode it around my neighborhood a couple laps at 20 degrees F. I'm it will be at least 5-6 weeks before I get another chance ..cold and icy, salty roads. Sux.

Just a quick hello to all the forum members. This is Michael from NW Idaho (Sandpoint) and the closest BMW dealer made me an offer for a 30 mile demo bike I just couldn’t refuse. So now I have a 2021 R18 FE in the garage while still having icy roads outside. Bummer, but this allows me to complete several mods based on a lot of the great info on here. I might just have to add some studs to these tires if spring doesn’t show up soon. Now that would be a worthy new member video.
Welcome. I used to shoot the location apparel photography for Coldwater Creek back in 2000’s. Great spot in the summer months.

Hi Michael
I can relate to the frustration of having the bike, but not being able to enjoy it! Hope you get an early thaw.
I noticed the passenger luggage rack in the photo you posted. Wunderlich do a rack, but if I’m not mistaken, it doesn’t look as good as yours. Could you share where you sourced it? Thanks.

Hi Michael
I can relate to the frustration of having the bike, but not being able to enjoy it! Hope you get an early thaw.
I noticed the passenger luggage rack in the photo you posted. Wunderlich do a rack, but if I’m not mistaken, it doesn’t look as good as yours. Could you share where you sourced it? Thanks.
Sure. It is not a direct fit rack, but it also didn't take much to modify it. There are some other racks mentioned in some threads, eg the ones for the Triumph Bonneville, but I couldn't find a source that actually had them in stock.
This rack is the "Motherwell MWL-530 7" Solo Luggage Rack". I actually bought several different versions through Amazon and just returned the ones that fit even worse.
In the pictures you'll see that the bracket is about ¼ inch short. I slotted the middle hole and also added a slot on either side. My plan was to tig weld a small extension to the front bracket, but the rack is actually very solidly attached once the seat is screwed down.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 20220207_202341.jpg
    20220207_202341.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 30
  • 20220207_202610.jpg
    20220207_202610.jpg
    993.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 20220207_202708.jpg
    20220207_202708.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
  • 20220207_202730.jpg
    20220207_202730.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
Sure. It is not a direct fit rack, but it also didn't take much to modify it. There are some other racks mentioned in some threads, eg the ones for the Triumph Bonneville, but I couldn't find a source that actually had them in stock.
This rack is the "Motherwell MWL-530 7" Solo Luggage Rack". I actually bought several different versions through Amazon and just returned the ones that fit even worse.
In the pictures you'll see that the bracket is about ¼ inch short. I slotted the middle hole and also added a slot on either side. My plan was to tig weld a small extension to the front bracket, but the rack is actually very solidly attached once the seat is screwed down.
Hope this helps.
Yes, helps enormously, thanks.
The earlier thread that references a Triumph Bonneville rack was I think a Motherwell design, but seems to no longer be available.

Hope this helps.
I had contacted Motherwell about the Triumph rack and they replied they can produce one in black but not chrome.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for this! You just saved me a ton of time, frustration and cash. Many thanks!

Good. This one seems to be 10.75" between mounting points and 11" would be perfect, but I didn't find one. Just saw that the price has been reduced for this to $162 on AMZ.

I received mine this afternoon and had it on in a few minutes. Very well made and very solid though it is right at the limits of fitting. Thanks again!

Back