Handlebar question...

theMucker

Premium Member
I'm doing my best to be prepared to put my R18 to immediate use when it arrives. I hope it will be here soon. But, in the meantime, I want be prepared to mount my TomTom GPS and cell phone on the handlebars. I already use them on my Indian, but it has huge handlebars that are 1-1/4" in diameter. I made custom mounts for that bike. So I'll need new mounts for the R18. Can someone please measure the diameter of the handlebars on their R18 and report back here? I suspect that they are the "old standard size" of 7/8", but confirmation of that would be appreciated.

This is a good option. They have several that are more stylish than the U-Bolt design offered by RAM-MOUNTS . TechMounts
They make very nice stuff. But it seems that none with the common RAM 25mm/1" ball. The ball mounts are all 17mm. And, of course, the accessories that I already use on my Indian Roadmaster mount to the RAM 1" ball. I've contacted them and asked if they can make some with the 1" ball. If others were to ask the same thing, maybe it will spur them on.

https://www.techmounts.com/products/?page_function=detail&product_id=329 [17mm ball, basic handlebar mount]

The stock bars are 1" in diameter.
If the bar is 1” in diameter, I suppose this 4” Handlebar Riser will fit. Any experience about the wires? Do I need to buy new wires / cables because of the “new” height (4” more)

Attachments

• DDBB1BA2-1CD8-4DFA-91DD-33FFED060650.jpeg
    DDBB1BA2-1CD8-4DFA-91DD-33FFED060650.jpeg
    415.8 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
If the bar is 1” in diameter, I suppose this 4” Handlebar Riser will fit. Any experience about the wires? Do I need to buy new wires / cables because of the “new” height (4” more)
They DO sell taller risers on the BMW website. But, as usual, they don't give any information about what may be required in so far as wiring and/or hose changes that might be required. You'll also want to be sure that the add-on risers have the correct spacing to fit within the OEM parts.

WAITAMINNIT!
I just went to the BMW "Build Your Own" site and it no longer shows the different risers or the beach handlebars. WTF?

I've ordered a set of universal riser extensions that the OEM risers will nestle on top of. They were only fitty bucks on the Amazon. Hopefully they will work....if not, yet another return.

61pf3nOmXeL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Last edited:
They DO sell taller risers on the BMW website. But, as usual, they don't give any information about what may be required in so far as wiring and/or hose changes that might be required. You'll also want to be sure that the add-on risers have the correct spacing to fit within the OEM parts.

WAITAMINNIT! I just went to the BMW "Build Your Own" site and it no longer shows the different risers or the beach handlebars. WTF?
That actually be a good thing. Hopefully they are updating the website and will have part numbers and prices.

WAITAMINNIT! I just went to the BMW "Build Your Own" site and it no longer shows the different risers or the beach handlebars. WTF?
I’m getting the feeling that BMW Motorcycles USA is just a small marketing and logistics organization to give BMW a footprint on US soil. Thus far they have been unable to answer any questions, always say they will call back, and seem to have zero decision making capabilities in their ranks.
While I do know this is normal for some European companies (I work for one), the information channels are no existent. At the end of the day, what Hans decides is what happens. Hopefully as more units are sold and the market segment grows in the US they will appoint a person or persons dedicated to the R18.

I’m getting the feeling that BMW Motorcycles USA is just a small marketing and logistics organization to give BMW a footprint on US soil. Thus far they have been unable to answer any questions, always say they will call back, and seem to have zero decision making capabilities in their ranks.
While I do know this is normal for some European companies (I work for one), the information channels are no existent. At the end of the day, what Hans decides is what happens. Hopefully as more units are sold and the market segment grows in the US they will appoint a person or persons dedicated to the R18.
That would be GREAT! So far, any useful information about the product has been found by the riders here. The guys at my local dealership are great folks, but they can't get any real info from the OEM. When I asked for descriptive differences between the different seats, they couldn't get anything. YOU guys got that info and posted it here. Now I would like to know more about the mount(s) that the website shows for the windshields and passing lamps. Can it be purchased separately? Do they make a mount for the lamps alone? And I've got questions about the beach handlebar too. Assuming it will be made available again, does it require changes to wiring and/or hoses? If it does, are there other parts that have to be obtained separate from the bar itself?
I sure hope that BMW gets it's information and support-act together.

That would be GREAT! So far, any useful information about the product has been found by the riders here. The guys at my local dealership are great folks, but they can't get any real info from the OEM. When I asked for descriptive differences between the different seats, they couldn't get anything. YOU guys got that info and posted it here. Now I would like to know more about the mount(s) that the website shows for the windshields and passing lamps. Can it be purchased separately? Do they make a mount for the lamps alone? And I've got questions about the beach handlebar too. Assuming it will be made available again, does it require changes to wiring and/or hoses? If it does, are there other parts that have to be obtained separate from the bar itself?
I spoke with BMW Ventura County yesterday and they said the windscreen/running lights come as a unit. The mounting system bolts into the top of the fork tubes and the running light cross bar bolts under the headlamp.

You can see approx. pricing on the BMW Motorad Germany website. 'Spensive stuff no doubt!

R18_running_light_mount.jpg

My understanding about changing handlebars is that there would need to be longer wires/hoses as well and that everything is meant to be easily (albeit expensively) interchangeable.

I want to change out handlebars too. It seems that the bars are 1"diameter at the mount but are something smaller on the grips, as near as I can tell about 0.8" diameter after removing the handlebar end pieces. Has anyone removed the controls from the bars that could get an accurate measurement? I can't figure out how to get the throttle assembly off the bar.

I'm doing my best to be prepared to put my R18 to immediate use when it arrives. I hope it will be here soon. But, in the meantime, I want be prepared to mount my TomTom GPS and cell phone on the handlebars. I already use them on my Indian, but it has huge handlebars that are 1-1/4" in diameter. I made custom mounts for that bike. So I'll need new mounts for the R18. Can someone please measure the diameter of the handlebars on their R18 and report back here? I suspect that they are the "old standard size" of 7/8", but confirmation of that would be appreciated.
25,4mm = 1" . BMW goes for the American market. So the fillercap is compatible to HD.
I have printed my own mount for the Garmin Zumo.
The first Picture shows you the view of the driver to the speedo.

Attachments

• 20210313_110708.jpg
    20210313_110708.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 75
  • 20210315_174029.jpg
    20210315_174029.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 71
  • 20210403_181522.jpg
    20210403_181522.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 65
  • 20210403_181530.jpg
    20210403_181530.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 71
Here are the part numbers for various configurations of handlebar options and the associated required hardware for the R18.
Enjoy!

PS What I have found out from the part numbers is the brake & clutch lines are reasonable @ about $96 US ea. What they kill us on is the wiring harness extensions @ about $200 US ea. For that price I will splice in an extension to make it fit. I will have to cut the 1" bars I have and weld in the smaller diameter tube for the grip area when I can determine what that is.
For my Handlebar project I will order:
4" Handlebar Bottom Clamp 77 22 2 463 844 $200
Clutch Line 77 22 7 923 468 $96
Brake Line 77 22 7 923 460 $96

Attachments

• Handlebar patrs list.pdf
    800.6 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
I am late to this thread, but I wanted to share the handlebars on the Indian Scout are also 1" in the middle and 7/8" under the grip, which means any bars made for the Scout should work for the R18.

That may not be a lot more bars, but it's some options, at least.

You can download the Beach Bar installation instructions and you can see they will require longer hydraulic lines and electrical extensions. But in usual BMW fashion there are no part numbers or pricing.
I’ve owned this bike for only a month and I’m already growing weary of BMW practices.

Back