Hattech Exhaust

ElyasZ

Looking into spicing out the bass for the R18

Spoke to the owner of Hattech Exhaust, Mr Hatt.
They basically did the R18 Concept 2 bike

Really like the fishtail design but quite a hassle to modify the baffles out

Attachments

• hattech-hattech-auspuff-r18-concept-2-schalldaempfer-mit-anbauteilen-fuer-die-bmw-r18-modelle-...jpg
    hattech-hattech-auspuff-r18-concept-2-schalldaempfer-mit-anbauteilen-fuer-die-bmw-r18-modelle-...jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 94
  • hattech-hattech-auspuff-r18-concept-2-schalldaempfer-mit-anbauteilen-fuer-die-bmw-r18-modelle-...jpg
    hattech-hattech-auspuff-r18-concept-2-schalldaempfer-mit-anbauteilen-fuer-die-bmw-r18-modelle-...jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 95
This was fabricated in my hangar by me for a total cost of $100, looks and sounds great. Cleans up the rear of the bike and showcases the exposed driveshaft.

Attachments

• IMG_1184.JPG
    IMG_1184.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Alternate choices are great. Not everyone wants a "fishtail style" exhaust system. I actually like the factory setup better than the system on the Concept model, but the top and bottom protruding seams are too much of a throwback to the cheaply produced stuff common in the 60s and early 70s. If I can get my hands on a pair of the OEM mufflers, I plan to see if the seams can be ground down and tig-welded flush with the actual muffler bodies.

Having looked over the R18 parts diagrams I see that there are O2 sensors on the exhaust headers BEFORE the gasses enter the catholic converters and another pair of them sniffing the gases AFTER the CCs. Soooo.... presumably any alternative exhaust systems will have to....
1. retain the OEM headers, ALL FOUR O2 sensors AND the catholic converters so as not to run afoul of proper engine tuning AND emission regulations...
2. limit retaining the O2 sensors to the pair upstream of the "cats" AND manage to use a non-factory tune that runs well without regard to retaining or eliminating the second pair of O2 sensors and/or the "cats".

I have no doubt that best "performance" will come with the elimination of the catholic converters, whatever choice of mufflers that the rider goes with. And many American riders will like the exhaust note better as well. Eliminating the HOT "cats" from under the engine will come with added benefits in comfort as well. But will the aftermarket step up with alternative tunes that can be loaded into the engine control unit that will result in quality running characteristics and/or improved performance? For that matter, is the ECU a type that will accept alternative "tunes" or can only the OEM make such changes?

I'm waiting to see other aftermarket brand to release the exhaust for R18, AKA, Remus, hopefully ARROW. This is one of my upgrade list. The sounds is too quiet.
The fish tail slip on is too big. If it were like the classic Rxx small will suit the bike better IMHO,
While I kinda like the "fishtails" I have wondered if it might eventually be possible to obtain a pair of "pea shooter" mufflers that imitate the look of the 1960s. Just bolting on a pair from that era would almost certainly be a recipe for poor performance. But a modern design with properly setup innerds that can handle the breathing needs of an 1800cc engine would be interesting. Just my opinion, your mileage may vary. ;)

1965.jpg

I'm waiting to see other aftermarket brand to release the exhaust for R18, AKA, Remus, hopefully ARROW. This is one of my upgrade list. The sounds is too quiet.
The fish tail slip on is too big. If it were like the classic Rxx small will suit the bike better IMHO,

I like the original fish tail exhaut, but I agree they are too quiet especially at idle.

Any idea to improve them ?

It appears to have some welding done at the edges.
Creativity is the master of design. I'm hoping to get my hands on a pair of stock mufflers to do some experimentation. Running the risk that it doesn't work out, I'm not going to dissect the originals that come on my R18.
;)

There are more on the Hattech website for the R18. This is the most extreme at a whopping 2.3k Euro for the pair. Can be done brushed or polished. No Euro compliance obviously but in the UK you can get around such things with a friendly MOT station.1611339815614.png

Attachments

• 1611340137751.png
    1611340137751.png
    639.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited by a moderator:
Back