Helmet comms: what works, or doesn't, with BMW Motorrad Connected?

Cu Dubh

I'm looking for folk's experiences with how well their helmet comms systems work with BMW Motorrad Connected, their phones and possibly GPS units. Member Rambler358 gave me some feedback on his Sena 50, which I much appreciate. I have buddies that use the Cardo Packtalks and like them, but they're not using BMW Connected.

I'm not concerned with a feature review per se; rather with your experience with how well your systems work together and what challenges you have dealt with. We are Android users, so I am specifically interested in issues relevant to Android platforms. The bike is a '22 R18 TC.

It's time for my wife & I to get a more modern intercom system to replace our ancient (but still working!) Autocomm system that's on the GS. I've searched the forums and not found many threads on this topic, but perhaps my search-fu is weak.

Thanks in advance.

My wife and I are using a pair of Cardo Pactalk bolds. My IPhone paired to the bike, helmets paired to each other, helmets paired to the bike in rider and passenger spots. Helmets NOT paired to the phone. This has been working fine for us. Wonder wheel does not control the helmet volume but a software update may fix that. This on on the Transcontinental.

I work for a dealer in parts and we sell both Cardo and Sena. Both work well with the bike, GPS and the connected ride app, the biggest question is what do you friends who ride have? I normally tell our customers to stick with the same brand of comm your buddies use for easy of comm paring. Both current units, Cardo Packtalk Bold or Black and Sena 50 units you cannot go wrong with. We also sell Shuberth and Shoei helmets with integrated comm systems which are both made by Sena. Our current comm of choice is the Packtalk Bold, every employee at our shop is using the Cardo Packtalk Bold or Black unit for the last few years. Many of our staff have 1250GS or RT models which use the same pairing software as the TC or Bagger. The only issue we have experienced is there can sometimes be a delay in audio playback or losing connection to the phone if the music is steaming from Wi-Fi or cell signal in spotty areas.

I work for a dealer in parts and we sell both Cardo and Sena. Both work well with the bike, GPS and the connected ride app, the biggest question is what do you friends who ride have? I normally tell our customers to stick with the same brand of comm your buddies use for easy of comm paring. Both current units, Cardo Packtalk Bold or Black and Sena 50 units you cannot go wrong with. We also sell Shuberth and Shoei helmets with integrated comm systems which are both made by Sena. Our current comm of choice is the Packtalk Bold, every employee at our shop is using the Cardo Packtalk Bold or Black unit for the last few years. Many of our staff have 1250GS or RT models which use the same pairing software as the TC or Bagger. The only issue we have experienced is there can sometimes be a delay in audio playback or losing connection to the phone if the music is steaming from Wi-Fi or cell signal in spotty areas.
Excellent input, thank you!

My wife and I are using a pair of Cardo Pactalk bolds. My IPhone paired to the bike, helmets paired to each other, helmets paired to the bike in rider and passenger spots. Helmets NOT paired to the phone. This has been working fine for us. Wonder wheel does not control the helmet volume but a software update may fix that. This on on the Transcontinental.
Excellent feedback; any idea what software version you have? The most recent update I've noticed is from December '21, dunno if there is a more recent update. Thank you for a very helpful reply.

Last edited:
Another vote for the PacTalk bold. No issues with GPS directions, music or calls.
+1 on packtalk they are great and even better they always back up thier waterproof warranty. I have found that the ability to charge while using them is nice when doing long iron butt events or if you forget to charge at home and want to.get going.

Me and my wife got the Shoei GT air 2 With sena SRL2 for intercom/calls/music/only use nav thru my phone....so..........no problem so far.....

I got the Cardo 4x and for whatever reason the phone won’t work. I can hear them pickup and say hello then nothing. I just can’t figure this out! So I would recommend staying away from that for now.

Sena SRL seems to work so far. Haven't made or taken a call yet. Declined a couple that were SPAMMERS. That worked well.

Connected Sena to bike and bike to phone but NOT Sena to phone. That worked well with Garmin GPS and seems to be fine with Motorrad Connect. Biggest issue so far has been getting the volume high enough to hear directions clearly.

Following up on my initial post: I went with the Cardo Packtalk Bold.
I've done limited testing due to weather and home project "restrictions", perhaps 200-300 miles. For reference, we use modular helmets and I typically ride with mine in open-face position, my wife usually has hers in closed-face.
So far the system has worked well for my wife and I. Everything connects (bike, phone & 2 helmets) and I do enjoy the BMW Connected app. She hasn't tested her phone call quality yet; mine appears fine.
Music is good; getting used to the volume setting.
Phone calls have been pretty good, though probably better on a closed-face helmet. This is also the same with the Autocomm system on my R1150GS, with the same helmets.
Navigation instructions have been good. Again, getting the volume setting correct has been a bit fiddly for me. And again, it's possibly my modular helmet in open-face position that contributes to this.
My one problem has been to get the "Hey Cardo" function to work on mine, while my wife's works fine. I probably have a setting wrong but haven't made time to mess with it yet.
Now to just remember to charge the damn things 😄

I have a new Packtalk Edge. I cannot get the wonder wheel to contrrol the Packtalk volume. When I turn the wheel, I can see the volume control bar move on the TFT, but the volume on the Packtalk does not change. It will however mute if I turn the wheel all the way down. This is on a 2022 R18 bagger.

Sena Spyder, everything works but the volume control. I believe that the Sena 50S had a firmware update to enable volume control…so perhaps it will trickle down to us lesser models.

I'm looking for folk's experiences with how well their helmet comms systems work with BMW Motorrad Connected, their phones and possibly GPS units. Member Rambler358 gave me some feedback on his Sena 50, which I much appreciate. I have buddies that use the Cardo Packtalks and like them, but they're not using BMW Connected.

I'm not concerned with a feature review per se; rather with your experience with how well your systems work together and what challenges you have dealt with. We are Android users, so I am specifically interested in issues relevant to Android platforms. The bike is a '22 R18 TC.

It's time for my wife & I to get a more modern intercom system to replace our ancient (but still working!) Autocomm system that's on the GS. I've searched the forums and not found many threads on this topic, but perhaps my search-fu is weak.

Thanks in advance.
Always used Sena but when I needed to upgrade I tried Cardo. Disappointed with the Cardo. Will re-upgrade after Christmas with latest Sena system, hopefully at after-Christmas sale prices. The Cardos worked but volume was very poor. I even upgraded speakers< ($100), and not enough improvement to say even with the speaker upgrade worked out for me.

I have a new Packtalk Edge. I cannot get the wonder wheel to contrrol the Packtalk volume. When I turn the wheel, I can see the volume control bar move on the TFT, but the volume on the Packtalk does not change. It will however mute if I turn the wheel all the way down. This is on a 2022 R18 bagger.
Did you ever sort out how to get the wheel to control the Cardo volume? Would love to have that working!

Did you ever sort out how to get the wheel to control the Cardo volume? Would love to have that working!
Welp, a bit of googling into some of the adv boards tells me that BMW allows use of the api and now some sena comms use the wheel for volume. It’s a Cardo issue from here, so let’s go Cardo! Catch up!

Welp, a bit of googling into some of the adv boards tells me that BMW allows use of the api and now some sena comms use the wheel for volume. It’s a Cardo issue from here, so let’s go Cardo! Catch up!
The Cardo does not work with the wheel, I switched to Sena and use the Cardo on the second helmet.

Sena Spyder, everything works but the volume control. I believe that the Sena 50S had a firmware update to enable volume control…so perhaps it will trickle down to us lesser models.
Same for c4 schuberth helmet, I had to update firmware of embedded sena in helmet in order to control volume with wheel. (before updating, just on/off sound)

I use the whiz wheel to control the Cardo Packtalk Bold volume all the time, music, phone, or nav. I do have to ensure my phone volume is turned up. If I have it turnd down I can't hear the nav but otherwise hasn't been an issue.
What am I missing?

Back