Hill hold control parameters

Looking to better understand hill hold control, and the owners manual doesn't seem to line up with my experience. I often will sit at a stop light in neutral, kickstand up, hill hold engaged and it will randomly flash and disengage. Sometimes 10 seconds, sometimes 2 minutes, never the 10 minute time out quoted. The bike isn't slipping or moving like they say will cause it to let go. Dry pavement with a very mild incline. My brake fluid levels are correct and I have no funny codes. Very confused as to how I can keep it from randomly disengaging. Anyone have a similar frustration or solution?

The bike does not like you playing with the brakes and the throttle while it is in hill hold.
Since the bike is sensing the slightest brake, throttle or clutch movement among other things, playing Mr Hotdog revving the engine or Michal Jackson on the brakes will disengage hill hold.
Yes, I know, you do not do any of those things, "wink, wink, nudge, nudge"

Last edited:
Tap the rear brake twice engages it . Tapping rear brake once while engaged disingages it within a 1 count. Reving engine or not doesn’t seem to affect mine. You don’t need to disengage it as it will release if you forget to.

Looking to better understand hill hold control, and the owners manual doesn't seem to line up with my experience. I often will sit at a stop light in neutral, kickstand up, hill hold engaged and it will randomly flash and disengage. Sometimes 10 seconds, sometimes 2 minutes, never the 10 minute time out quoted. The bike isn't slipping or moving like they say will cause it to let go. Dry pavement with a very mild incline. My brake fluid levels are correct and I have no funny codes. Very confused as to how I can keep it from randomly disengaging. Anyone have a similar frustration or solution?
You need to read and understand page 78, 10 minutes is the "time out" time when the engine is switched off, 2 minutes is the timeout time when the engine is running.
Releasing the brake when switching off the engine or during timeout

"Hill Start Control is deactivated when the engine is switched off using the emergency- off switch, when the side stand is folded out, or after it times out (10 minutes).
In addition to the indicator and warning lights, the rider is to be made aware of the deactivation of the Hill Start Control by the following behavior:"
"
"After two minutes, or when the brake is applied, Hill Start Control is deactivated completely."

Back