Honda Goldwing

Billt1NH

Site Supporter
Ah I'm sure that title sparked reaction. After buying a 2022 Transcontinental I had planned and asked the dealer to buy the 2022 Grand America wanting both in my garage. Having a less than pleasurable experience from the dealer I thought it might be in my best interest to look around and consider options. . Having been a Harley rider for 40 years never in a million years would I ever consider a Goldwing. Well my wife and I just left the Honda shop and I'm not sure what there isn't to love in the new 2022 Goldwing Tour DCT? We Harley riders always made fun of Goldwing riders so me considering it surprises me too. I don't see the Transcontinental being a cross country bike for me as no way to stretch the legs hence the want/ need for a smooth long distance tourer. I'll keep the TC as well because it's fun for the first 200 miles but by spring will have either the Grand America or Goldwing.

I don't see the Transcontinental being a cross country bike for me as no way to stretch the legs hence the want/ need for a smooth long distance tourer.
Not sure if you know this, but there is a leg rest option available from BMW that allows you to extend your legs. I'm 6'1" with a 33" inseam and have personally not had the need for the leg rests after almost 2000 miles on my TC so far.

Not sure if you know this, but there is a leg rest option available from BMW that allows you to extend your legs. I'm 6'1" with a 33" inseam and have personally not had the need for the leg rests after almost 2000 miles on my TC so far.
Every " body" is different. My legs start to hurt if I can't straighten them out every few hours. For the first 150- 200 miles on my R18 TC I'm in heaven. Yes 3 months ago when I took delivery of the Transcontinental I ordered the leg rest and an upgraded seat. Neither have come in. I also put about 2300 miles on the TC before putting away for the winter.

Last edited:
How soon we get old, how late we get smart. 😄

I have owned and travelled extensively all over and across Canada and the US several times on HD's, BMW's of most every flavor, and Goldwings. The k1600 and the Wing are hands down the gold standard for that type of riding.

Last edited:
I've always liked HD, the bikes, but never the culture. HD riders can just be ignorant and incarerated by meaningless belief. Their disdain towards other makers of bikes at the very least, comical. Technologically and reliabilty wise they've always been the lesser.. Goldwings have always been outstanding, high performing, long lasting, reliable bikes. I have a Goldwing *Valkyrie* that is one of the amazing bikes ever made. Outperforms 90% of everything on the road...and can go nearly 300mi between fill ups.

Attachments

• IMG_20210724_181624__01.jpg
    IMG_20210724_181624__01.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 22
I've always liked HD, the bikes, but never the culture. HD riders can just be ignorant and incarerated by meaningless belief. Their disdain towards other makers of bikes at the very least, comical. Technologically and reliabilty wise they've always been the lesser.. Goldwings have always been outstanding, high performing, long lasting, reliable bikes. I have a Goldwing *Valkyrie* that is one of the amazing bikes ever made. Outperforms 90% of everything on the road...and can go nearly 300mi between fill ups.
I always looked at it more of a “Ford / Chevy “ kind of thing. That being said I don’t know of many other manufacturers who enjoy the brand loyalty of Harley, deserved or not . As a lifelong rider of Harleys I find the lines ( appearance) are a thing of Beauty. The R18 plucks the same heart strings. I am in hopes the Gold Wing after a few thousands miles in the saddle will speak to me as well .

Last edited:
Ah I'm sure that title sparked reaction. After buying a 2022 Transcontinental I had planned and asked the dealer to buy the 2022 Grand America wanting both in my garage. Having a less than pleasurable experience from the dealer I thought it might be in my best interest to look around and consider options. . Having been a Harley rider for 40 years never in a million years would I ever consider a Goldwing. Well my wife and I just left the Honda shop and I'm not sure what there isn't to love in the new 2022 Goldwing Tour DCT? We Harley riders always made fun of Goldwing riders so me considering it surprises me too. I don't see the Transcontinental being a cross country bike for me as no way to stretch the legs hence the want/ need for a smooth long distance tourer. I'll keep the TC as well because it's fun for the first 200 miles but by spring will have either the Grand America or Goldwing.
The Goldwing is a great bike. I had a 2018 Tour manual. But it started to bore the heck out of me. The GW was so smooth and quiet that it got dull for me. The only thing about the TC that disappoints me when compared to the GW is the infotainment set up. GW's was easier to navigate and there was no need to cinque phone to access navigation. Also having physical buttons to enable heated seats and so on was just safer. Attaching a photo of the GW that luckily I had paid off so that it could sacrifice itself for 20grand towards my TC. BTW the Goldwing is by far the most difficult bike in the universe to work on! My Can Am Spyder F3T was easier to work on than the GW.

Attachments

• IMG_20210323_175956_237.jpg
    IMG_20210323_175956_237.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
The Goldwing is a great bike. I had a 2018 Tour manual. But it started to bore the heck out of me. The GW was so smooth and quiet that it got dull for me. The only thing about the TC that disappoints me when compared to the GW is the infotainment set up. GW's was easier to navigate and there was no need to cinque phone to access navigation. Also having physical buttons to enable heated seats and so on was just safer. Attaching a photo of the GW that luckily I had paid off so that it could sacrifice itself for 20grand towards my TC. BTW the Goldwing is by far the most difficult bike in the universe to work on! My Can Am Spyder F3T was easier to work on than the GW.
How similar is the foot position between the GW and the R18? Just curious.

Lloyd w1,​

Thanks for the feedback. Yes I was concerned that the lack of feedback on the Gold Wing may become boring . The TC is super fun to ride and i will keep it at least for awhile. I just don't see me going cross country with no way to at least periodically extend my legs. My long distance bike would have certainly been a 2022 BMW Grand America but the dealer was so bad I just couldn't buy another bike from them. The 2022 Gold Wings are nonexistent so I have to travel 400 miles to pick it up. If I don't like the Gold Wing next year I'll travel to buy a K1600 from another dealer . I really really hate not supporting local dealers but in the case of the Gold Wing they can't get any and in the case of the K1600 the local dealer couldn't be any worse.

Last edited:
How similar is the foot position between the GW and the R18? Just curious.
Foot position seems very similar to me. Actually, the Goldwing's foot position is the one thing that made the TC an option. Like many cruiser riders I assumed that I needed my legs stretched out to be comfortable. The GW's and TC's seating and foot positions are like sitting comfortably on an office chair to me. But if a rider has hip or knee issues I'm not sure how he or she would feel on either bike. I purchased my GW after having both hips replaced. I rode a Can Am Spyder until I finally gave in and had hip replacements. The Spyder was purely a stop gap measure due to the pain I was in. Riding something is still better than having nothing to ride IMO.

Attachments

• IMG_20200812_195943_175.jpg
    IMG_20200812_195943_175.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 4
Foot position seems very similar to me. Actually, the Goldwing's foot position is the one thing that made the TC an option. Like many cruiser riders I assumed that I needed my legs stretched out to be comfortable. The GW's and TC's seating and foot positions are like sitting comfortably on an office chair to me. But if a rider has hip or knee issues I'm not sure how he or she would feel on either bike. I purchased my GW after having both hips replaced. I rode a Can Am Spyder until I finally gave in and had hip replacements. The Spyder was purely a stop gap measure due to the pain I was in. Riding something is still better than having nothing to ride IMO.
There was a slight redesign for the Gold Wing in 2021 whereas the riders seat moved rearward offering a more relaxed seating position. I was unable to ride a Gold Wing prior to order ( still waiting for it to come in ) as it was the middle of winter here in New England. My observations from riding Harley, Transcontinental and sitting on Gold Wing, Harley = feet way in front of knee, GW= feet slightly ahead of knee, TC =feet slightly behind knee. Hyway pegs available for Harley and Gold wing none for Transcontinental. Although not attractive BMW did announce leg rest for the TC but never released them. If they were actually available I would have at least given them a try before ordering another bike . Although weighing nearly 1/2 a ton the Transcontinental is one of the most fun bikes I've ever owned,.

my last wing was 2012. Great bike at a great value. the fact that the GPS was never any good at preprogramming really cool routes and uploading was problematic.

After we got hit by a deer it was time for a new bike and the new version of the wing was a real consideration. But it was updated with smaller bags and pillion seat and only an incremental engine power upgrade. All at the cost of a huge price increase that made the K1600 the clear winner.

oh, and foot position was fine...

edit: as i have said here in other threads, for long distance long time frame touring nothing does it better than the K1600 and the Wing. if that is your gig, the twins of any manufacture are way out of their league.

I had and sold a 2018 Goldwing manual and now have a 2022 R18TC (and a 2022 R1250RT). Anyway, I much prefer the R18TC to the Goldwing. In three short years, the Goldwing became really boring. It is smooth and bulletproof but absolutely boring. Also, I can't believe how quickly the dash become somewhat old hat to me. I love the R18TC gadgetry and more importantly, how it rides. From a comfort perspective, I have done 450 mile days without any trouble whatsoever. After an hour or so, I felt the need to get off the Goldwing because of the seat. While every butt is different, that's just my experience. I am one of the big believers in riding what floats your boat. If it is a Goldwing, ride it, a BMW, ride it or whatever else. In my mind, I see the advantage of having a K1600B GA and an R18TC. However, rather than getting a K1600B GA, I ended up with an R1250RT. Love them both!

Back