How do I turn off the fuel reserve screen?

Sorry for the basic question but I read the manual a few times and I can't find the answer.

I finally hit the "reserve" fuel yesterday. The reserve fuel display completely took over my usual display and began counting up miles by the tenth. I assume it's just letting me know how far I've gone since I hit reserve. I'd like to be able to clear this display and get back to the tachometer and gear display. How is that accomplished?

Sorry for the basic question but I read the manual a few times and I can't find the answer.

I finally hit the "reserve" fuel yesterday. The reserve fuel display completely took over my usual display and began counting up miles by the tenth. I assume it's just letting me know how far I've gone since I hit reserve. I'd like to be able to clear this display and get back to the tachometer and gear display. How is that accomplished?
I'm assuming you filled the tank?

I think when that message pops up, there is a X on the left side. Just push the selector " round thingee" to the left, and the message will go away. Same is true, for other messages that pop up.

with the single dial speedo, i believe you can 'dismiss' an alert by holding the rocker switch in down position for a sec.. then cycling through them with an up action should be back to normal. "warnings must be confirmed by pressing button 1", which is down on the menu rocker.

1651891973800.png

Last edited:
with the single dial speedo, i believe you can 'dismiss' an alert by holding the rocker switch in down position for a sec.. then cycling through them with an up action should be back to normal.
Yep...it's something like this. Maybe down, maybe up. All I know is that whatever I initially try doesn't work, but after a few seconds of futzing around whatever I did ends up working.

Did you have any luck with this? I have the same problem, was just in the shed trying to clear the reserve fuel warning display and can’t make it go away.Is it locked in place until you fill up???

Did you have any luck with this? I have the same problem, was just in the shed trying to clear the reserve fuel warning display and can’t make it go away.Is it locked in place until you fill up???
Managed to clear the fuel reserve screen, not sure what I did but very pleased that it can be cleared. Possibly rapid pressing of the menu button did it.

It's definitely not locked in place. I've hit reserve a couple of times since this first was posted. I'm always riding, so I don't know exactly what clears it, but I just stab at the up/down rocker a couple of times until it moves on to the next display. Then you can cycle through the displays as usual, but "miles since reserve" is added to the list of items that is cycled through.

The count-up mechanism for a reserve is perfectly adequate by my reckoning, based on the restrictions for display options. But yup it certainly would be helpful know the level before it gets to that point as sometimes it can be a bit inconvenient hitting reserve by surprise.

Last edited:
I’d like to meet the engineer that thought a count up reserve was a good idea. 🤬
I like it. Fuel gauges are notoriously bad and range remaining even worse.

Reserve is at about 1.1 gallons, so I know whatever my MPG commonly has been is when I need gas by. I conservatively use 40, so I know I need to fill by the time I reach 40 on the reserve meter.

Y’all are not going to convince me! 😉 No count down? No problem … throw a warning light and let me use the tripmeter without changing the display. Why would I care how many miles I have traveled before walking? It is just a distraction. BTW, just curious: what other manufacturer(s) use the count up?

Y’all are not going to convince me! 😉 No count down? No problem … throw a warning light and let me use the tripmeter without changing the display. Why would I care how many miles I have traveled before walking? It is just a distraction. BTW, just curious: what other manufacturer(s) use the count up?
Same in my Ktm and Husqvarna. But there are lots of ways to accomplish the concept knowing when you will run out.

I always use the odometer as my fuel gauge on all my bikes. I prefer actual mileage over estimated mileage or a needle in a gauge. I quickly learn the comfortable ‘no problem’ range and go from there.

As a backup I use the reserve light. I know how much fuel is left when it comes on and based on the conditions (heavy headwinds etc) how far I can go. The problem arises when I don’t see it ‘come on’. And wonder how long it has been there when I do see it. Nice to have that count up to let me know how far it’s been on and how many miles if my cushion has been used.

YMMV

Fully agree burangs, never in all my time riding motorcycles have I encountered such a stupid way of monitoring a low fuel situation!……all the other Bm’s I have had, have always worked the other way which to me is a lot more logical. A set of lights around the outer edge of the speedo indicating fuel quantity would also have been a good addition in my opinion.

If you don’t notice exactly when the reserve light comes on, the odometer won’t help you. If you reliably reset the trip meter when refueling, then you can use that with your normal range expectations, but if you neglect to do so, having a counter when on reserve can be helpful and gives a second reminder you are on low fuel. In any case, it’s a couple presses of the menu button to switch off the reserve mile indicator to your trip meter.

As to other bikes:

FJR has similar reserve counting miles since low fuel light. I’m sure there are some other modern fuel injected bikes that have it

Older bikes have a reserve petcock that needed to be switched when you “first” run out of fuel. You know you need to get fuel soon and similar to R18 most have a ~1 gallon difference between reserve and empty

Fuel injected bikes without a fuel gauge or reserve counter (most current bikes), you better hope you remembered to reset the trip meter when you refueled since you otherwise have no idea how much range you have left

Fuel injected bikes with a fuel gauge but no range indicator - Good luck, the gauge is accurate only 2 times per tank (when full and when empty)

Fuel injected bikes with remaining range indicator - Good luck, the gauge like a fuel gauge is mostly useless on a motorcycle as the fuel level sloshes around a lot (accelerating and braking, turning), so those 40 miles of range might only be 4 miles. Some bikes try to dampen this reading to avoid wild swings, but have fun walking when you rely on them.

Back