Howdy From The Bluegrass

Caveman

Howdy.

just joined but I've used this forum a couple of times to research some stuff about the R18.

I bought a 2021 Classic a few weeks ago. So far I'm digging it. I've been street riding since I was 18. I started on a Honda CB750 I bought new in 1976. Been off and on street bikes and dirt bikes ever since. Over the last 45 years I was rarely more than a year or two without some sort of motorcycle. I've had all kinds and most of the major brands. My last street bike was a Honda CB1100. I've owned H-D, Victory and Kawasaki cruisers.

I have to say my new Classic checks all the boxes for me. It's a great looking bike in every way but y'all already knew that. I love the vintage look combined with all the modern conveniences. I also really like that not everybody else has one. You know what I mean so I'll leave it at that.

I took advantage of the $4K discount BMW was doing recently and I just picked up my $1K accessories today. It was just too good a motorcycle and too good a deal to pass up.

BTW, I think my bike is defective. It doesn't vibrate excessively, the seat's comfortable, the mid position controls are very comfortable and I only drag the floorboards when I try to. According to the reviews none of that should be happening. ;-)

Nice to meet you.

Last edited:
Finally!!! Someone who doesn’t complain (I complained several times, my fault) Yes, the bike is great, my only concern is about the lack of accessories but you all know that. Make life a ride

Welcome Caveman, so nice to hear a total complimentary review of the bike. Anything we can help with just ask. We love pictures

Welcome Caveman, I also have an R 18 Classic, and am still awaiting the floorboards and heel/toe shipter to be sent and installed.

Ok, here's a few pics. I've already done a little bit to make it my own. It started out as a base Classic. It isn't a First Edition (obviously). I had the cylinder head covers and the air intake covers powder coated gloss black. The company that did it nailed it. I know it's just black but they color match perfectly. $100 for all four pieces.

I used my $1K accessories bonus to buy the machined cylinder cover strips and the machined front case strip. I wanted the whole front cover but it looks to me like the whole cover won't come off without pulling the motor from the frame. As it turns out I like the way the strip looks. After the machined engine covers I had enough left over to get the machined front brake, clutch and rear brake covers too. The total was slightly over $1K so I had to pitch in $60.

I wanted the full cylinder covers but at $1300 @ pair there's no way I'm spending that much just for some bike bling. I decided to powder coat the original covers and add the machined strips. I think it turned out great.

No offense to the FE owners but in retrospect I'm glad I bought the basic Classic. I thought I wanted the FE but the deal I got on the base model was just too good. Now that I've added a few custom touches I prefer the overall look of the black mirrors, black windshield mount, black air intakes and black cylinder head covers without the pin striping. YMMV.

When I was in the dealer yesterday they had a brown Fastback seat hanging on the display wall. It looks WAY better in person than in the catalog. It has a piece of black trim at the back that will tie in nicely with the black paint. I'm going to order one.

IMG_1389.JPGIMG_1392.JPGIMG_1389.JPGIMG_1393.JPGIMG_1386.JPGIMG_1390.JPGIMG_1392.JPG

IMG_1393.JPGIMG_1386.JPGIMG_1390.JPGIMG_1388.JPG

Last edited:
Very well done, you have done some unigue things that add a lot to the look of the bike. Thanks for sharing the pictures. BTW as a FE owner I am offended Lol

Tell me more about the $4,000 discount ?
U think 2021 new stock in the showroom should have or are capable of $4,000 discount ?
BMW was offering a $4K rebate/discount off MSRP if you bought a demo bike. In order for it to be considered a demo it had to have at least 200 miles on it. I don't know if it's still a current promotion. They also gave an additional $1K in accessories but I know for certain that promotion has ended.

BMW was offering a $4K rebate/discount off MSRP if you bought a demo bike. In order for it to be considered a demo it had to have at least 200 miles on it. I don't know if it's still a current promotion. They also gave an additional $1K in accessories but I know for certain that promotion has ended.
Managed a similar deal on mine in the UK. They had to register it as the first owner but I was able to take it with 2 miles on the clock. Those two miles were the dealer riding it to the paint shop and back for my own preferences.

Attachments

• My R18.jpeg
    My R18.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
Howdy.

just joined but I've used this forum a couple of times to research some stuff about the R18.

I bought a 2021 Classic a few weeks ago. So far I'm digging it. I've been street riding since I was 18. I started on a Honda CB750 I bought new in 1976. Been off and on street bikes and dirt bikes ever since. Over the last 45 years I was rarely more than a year or two without some sort of motorcycle. I've had all kinds and most of the major brands. My last street bike was a Honda CB1100. I've owned H-D, Victory and Kawasaki cruisers.

I have to say my new Classic checks all the boxes for me. It's a great looking bike in every way but y'all already knew that. I love the vintage look combined with all the modern conveniences. I also really like that not everybody else has one. You know what I mean so I'll leave it at that.

I took advantage of the $4K discount BMW was doing recently and I just picked up my $1K accessories today. It was just too good a motorcycle and too good a deal to pass up.

BTW, I think my bike is defective. It doesn't vibrate excessively, the seat's comfortable, the mid position controls are very comfortable and I only drag the floorboards when I try to. According to the reviews none of that should be happening. ;-)

Nice to meet you.
Awesome intro! I totally agree with all of this. Something’s wrong with mine too!! 😂

Howdy.

Nice to meet you.
I've mentioned this before, but I think some of the reviews may be a victim of BMW (in their infinite wisdom) forgetting to put preload adjustment on the PDI. My bike and many others were delivered with the preload still in the "shipping" setting. If similar first edition press bikes were getting the same negligence, it would contribute to the peg scraping and suspension complaints you read.

I went to the dealer to pick up knowing about this issue. When I asked them to put the preload up to a safe setting to ride home, they told me it would be to the tune of 1hr labor charge. I took the liberty of making the adjustments myself on their showroom floor.

Back