India built Kozy sidecar

sjeuf12

Site Supporter
Hi,
a few months ago I saw some pictures in the forum from someone who had added an India built Kozy sidecar.
Have been over the forum a few nights now, but can't find the pictures or the name of the owner who posted them....

I did contact the supplier of the sidecars in India, but they could not give me any specifics on how to mount this on a R18 or something simple as how wide the combination would be...

I do know, from the past, when dinosaurs still had hair, how to install and ride a sidecar combination... Had sidecars on both my R26 (steib250) and R69-s/R75 (velorex) and I installed these myself.

So, my questions are:
- who posted these pictures?
- can he give more detailed info on how this is mounted on the bike (pictures, dimensions)?
- what's his experience with the combination? This is a relativly light sidecar... perhaps too light.
- what's the quality of the construction?
- any mod's done on the R18? I have a Classic, with the hydraulic steering dampner

thx in advance, Ser

I've only know of a few members who added sidecars. Both posted extensively about the process. So I'm guessing, and may be wrong, that whomever posted the photos you're referencing was just doing so because they're nice photos. As such, I can see how it'd be difficult to dig em up but, even if you do, the poster may not be able to answer your query. Those who have gone the rig route (albeit with different manufacturer) are frequent contributors and are likely to answer any questions you may have though. Good luck.

See if you have a Ural dealer that will let you take a rig for a ride.It is really nothing like mine but you should see if you want to make the investment.
I'm gonna be 72 in April and I will not sell or take off the sidecar.Actually,I would sell my 2 wheeler first.It is a gas,fun as hell.
Hi, don't think I need to visit a Ural dealer... have been handling sidecars before...

The first (BW) picture is Elefanten treffen 1976 I had the BMW, the other one is a Horex... At that time my bike had a 700 BMW car engine... the original R69s engine had suffered a forced departure of one pushrod from the operational working assy, at 160 some km/h.... if you talk about brakes, think about this one as an option... better then Brembo, but can oly be used once...
So broken bike, no money, still in school, now what... my grandfather had 3 of these 700 cars and I choose for the s-version's engine, combined with R69s gearbox...

The second Color) picture, is me on the same bike in +/-1980... the engine and gearbox had been changed to a 75-5 type in the same R69s frame.
The 700 had proven to be somewhat cumbersome with respect to the used carburettor; a weber dual valve... this would normally freeze up to one solid block of ice after 25 km or so...
In both cases the sidecar was a Velorex with modified wheel; a R75-5 wheel with the original brake... this sidecar was light, but it was held to the ground with a massive car or truck 12V battery between bike and sidecar.

My other experience was the R26 with a Steib 250 in 1974 (my very first bike), again on the Nürnburgring in 1974 or so....

It's major fun to drive sidecars !! and it's also big fun to tinker with bikes

Attachments

• elefanten 1976.jpg
    elefanten 1976.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • Vijlen 1980.jpg
    Vijlen 1980.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 9
  • R26-ser.jpg
    R26-ser.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I have been a sidecarist for 20 years. It would be fun to put a sidecar on the R18 but there are challenges like how to do the subframe on a bike that low. Because the bike is really in two pieces, a subframe is a necessity. I do like the Ural chair. Simply, it fits people better than the small Indian sidecars. with the r18 Id actually hold out and find a Steib or reproduction. I think the geometry of the bike is good for a chair. the length of the bike would help but without a leading link... it will not be easy to steer.

Probably why we sidecarists like the Ural. Conversion is an option, but for less money a lot of time you can have a dedicated rig with a leading link. My last sidecar rig, a 2012 Ural, was also pretty reliable. I only put about 25,000 miles on it but it was a lot of fun.

Sidecars are fun

Back