Installed! DNA Air Filter with DNA Frame **Thoughts**

Adrian R

After some brief research, and a couple conversations with forum members, I decided to take a chance on upgrading my R18Cs air filter.

The Brentuning upgrade was a nice change allowing the bike to run smoother and develop more power... I however felt that the bike was still somewhat underpowered, that is I felt the bike's potential, but something seemed to be attenuating some of bike's true running potential.

I installed the DNA filter and DNA frame last weekend in which was raining...on Saturday I figured I'd get it done.

With the help of a couple forums members (Cheshirecat and TomR18C thanks!)I got it done. Wasn't too hard to do, considering there is nothing in the owners manual that shows you how to replace the bike's air filter. But all in all it took about an hour or so to do the job.

I took my girl for a decent ride yesterday and noted a definite increase in overall performance. Stopping for fuel along the way the bike just seemed to be getting better.

Today, with the bike sitting over night, took it for a ride by myself and I'm completely impressed.

This is the way the bike SHOULD run. Not only does it sound meaner, but man, the R18 is actually a pretty fast bike... The biggest improvement is the torque. I obviously cannot asses any numbers from my arse, but it pulls harder. 6th gear rolls on a far more impressive...and I can take slower turns without downshifting as there is more power available down low. Top end now is crazy..lol... That thing would do 130mph no problem... It just keeps pulling...sounding BAD ASS... I think the filter with the frame was about $130 or so. It is by far, WORTH it!

Attachments

• dnabox.jpg
    dnabox.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 180
  • dnabike.jpg
    dnabike.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
After some brief research, and a couple conversations with forum members, I decided to take a chance on upgrading my R18Cs air filter.

The Brentuning upgrade was a nice change allowing the bike to run smoother and develop more power... I however felt that the bike was still somewhat underpowered, that is I felt the bike's potential, but something seemed to be attenuating some of bike's true running potential.

I installed the DNA filter and DNA frame last weekend in which was raining...on Saturday I figured I'd get it done.

With the help of a couple forums members (Cheshirecat and TomR19 thanks!)I got it done. Wasn't too hard to do, considering there is nothing in the owners manual that shows you how to replace the bike's air filter. But all in all it took about an hour or so to do the job.

I took my girl for a decent ride yesterday and noted a definite increase in overall performance. Stopping for fuel along the way the bike just seemed to be getting better.

Today, with the bike sitting over night, took it for a ride by myself and I'm completely impressed.

This is the way the bike SHOULD run. Not only does it sound meaner, but man, the R18 is actually a pretty fast bike... The biggest improvement is the torque. I obviously cannot asses any numbers from my arse, but it pulls harder. 6th gear rolls on a far more impressive...and I can take slower turns without downshifting as there is more power available down low. Top end now is crazy..lol... That thing would do 130mph no problem... It just keeps pulling...sounding BAD ASS... I think the filter with the frame was about $130 or so. It is by far, WORTH it!
Very interesting, I will try it out as well..... ordered my kit right now :)

I did the DNA filter with just the stock housing and I notice an immediate difference once the computer figured it out. I have the Bren Tune but haven't programmed it yet as I need to get the first service done soon.

I did the DNA filter with just the stock housing and I notice an immediate difference once the computer figured it out. I have the Bren Tune but haven't programmed it yet as I need to get the first service done soon.
Yes, it takes the bike's brain a few on and offers (lol) to get it down.

With the help of a couple forums members (Cheshirecat and TomR18C thanks!)I got it done. Wasn't too hard to do, considering there is nothing in the owners manual that shows you how to replace the bike's air filter. But all in all it took about an hour or so to do the job.

Will it stay exposed that way, the way is shown on the pic, or that just your preference?

Will it stay exposed that way, the way is shown on the pic, or that just your preference?
If you're asking about the stock plastic cover with "snorkels":
- some ppl remove it completely and use DNA frame, leaving it naked (I picked this option)
- some install new filter and use legacy cover,
- some install DNA filter with a frame and leve plastic "snorkels".

The less plastic the more brrrrr you get.

If you're asking about the stock plastic cover with "snorkels":
- some ppl remove it completely and use DNA frame, leaving it naked (I picked this option)
- some install new filter and use legacy cover,
- some install DNA filter with a frame and leve plastic "snorkels".

The less plastic the more brrrrr you get.

I kept the stock filter cover but axed the stupid snorkels.

Just got back from a ride...earlier. Had to finish the filter mod job(needed to get one longer screw). By all means if you're on the fence definetly do it! I would get the DNA frame too allowing for maximum air flow, thus maximum power. The bike runs far better with the Brentune and the DNA stage two...I can't put a number on the actual torque/HP increase...but it's significant ..well worth the expense.

just ordered mine, with frame..... by the comments here, we are going to add a 4th and 5th mode to the bikes performance...
Rain, Roll, Rock, Fast and Super....

Since I don't have a Hayabusa, a ZX14 or a Honda Blackbird anymore I'm gonna get a DNA air filter and recreate those awesome years when I was young(er) and in love with speed.
I'm gonna pit my R18 against the young and the restless of today's world of freeway racing. Nothing's gonna stop me and I'm going to show everybody what a DNA filter can do, how it can turn a lazy cruiser into a speed monster feared by everybody.
Joke aside, some of you are delusional. Nothing to be mad or upset about, you find them on every motorcycle related message boards.

Since I don't have a Hayabusa, a ZX14 or a Honda Blackbird anymore I'm gonna get a DNA air filter and recreate those awesome years when I was young(er) and in love with speed.
I'm gonna pit my R18 against the young and the restless of today's world of freeway racing. Nothing's gonna stop me and I'm going to show everybody what a DNA filter can do, how it can turn a lazy cruiser into a speed monster feared by everybody.
Joke aside, some of you are delusional. Nothing to be mad or upset about, you find them on every motorcycle related message boards.
Niiice...

Back