Jacket options... what do you prefer?

WaydeG

The jacket topic has been visited but I'm curious what options you (or an associate) might use during the dog days of summer. In Texas this week, we're looking at 100 degree plus days every day. Even in the am, it hits 90 pretty early. I've decided a mesh jacket is about my best option and settled into a Ridgecrest, an Aero-flight or an Intake Air. All have CE level 2 armor with a removable rain and thermal liner. The Ridgecrest is a 3/4 style more attuned to the adventure rider and probably better for longer runs. Anyone run a jacket other than a traditional waist length sport or cruiser style? Anyone use a 3/4 or adventure style jacket as a daily summer jacket? Any input is appreciated. Oh, and I'm desperately trying to stay away from black attire....

Google will be your friend here. It also really depends on the type of jacket. They vary quite a bit.

Belstaff, bmw and Klim make excellent jackets for the purpose at a mid priced level. If you drop down a notch the options are endless and any Moto shop. Most all provide level 1 or 2 armor. You will have to buy a back plate separately for most. I am personally more concerned with abrasion resistance than armor in this application. YMMV

In the end I am opting for a Revit mesh over shirt for trips with little highway work. Level 1 armor.

Google will be your friend here. It also really depends on the type of jacket. They vary quite a bit.

Belstaff, bmw and Klim make excellent jackets for the purpose. If you drop down a notch tthe options are endless and any Moto shop. Most all provide level 1 or 2 armor. You will have to buy a back plate separately for most.

In the end I am opting for a Revit mesh over shirt for trips with little highway work. Level 1 armor.
I ordered the RevIt Torque but the European style/cut isn't conducive to my manly full figure as the XXL was too tight. Cant' find a XXXL. The Eclipse may have the same issue. The Coretech/Tourmaster line seems like a viable option. They provide level 2 protection where many in the same price point are level 1. I'm just wondering if an adventure style 3/4 jacket would work for longer cruiser trips of if I'd get "flapped" to death. Lots of guys on the forum have other bikes besides the R18. Wondering what style works for them.

I have an Iron Workers denim lined jacket where the liner can be removed but the denim is too flipping hot even in 85 degree heat.

Last edited:
I have a 1st gen Klim Induction that has been wonderful. Klim is definitely a bit more generous for us +size folks. On the 3/4 front, I adore my BMW Rallye which though rather “all-seasony” is actually quite pleasant when fully vented. The Rallye can be sized to fit properly. Another consideration is the BMW Air Shell. Even better venting, but not as flexible with sizing.

I have a 1st gen Klim Induction that has been wonderful. Klim is definitely a bit more generous for us +size folks. On the 3/4 front, I adore my BMW Rallye which though rather “all-seasony” is actually quite pleasant when fully vented. The Rallye can be sized to fit properly. Another consideration is the BMW Air Shell. Even better venting, but not as flexible with sizing.
He is correct. The Revit will be more of a euro fit. The American Klim will be more square and will fit better. Great stuff too.

The jacket topic has been visited but I'm curious what options you (or an associate) might use during the dog days of summer. In Texas this week, we're looking at 100 degree plus days every day. Even in the am, it hits 90 pretty early. I've decided a mesh jacket is about my best option and settled into a Ridgecrest, an Aero-flight or an Intake Air. All have CE level 2 armor with a removable rain and thermal liner. The Ridgecrest is a 3/4 style more attuned to the adventure rider and probably better for longer runs. Anyone run a jacket other than a traditional waist length sport or cruiser style? Anyone use a 3/4 or adventure style jacket as a daily summer jacket? Any input is appreciated. Oh, and I'm desperately trying to stay away from black attire....
I mostly switch between 3 jackets on my R18, all made by RevIt.

One is a classic waist level leather jacket. Works great in cooler weather & winter, but once it warms up, the lack of airflow really limits it.

My second option is the Livingstone which is a 3/4 length waxed cotton style jacket. It looks old style enough to work well with the R18 (I use it also on my old R75 and the Vespa) and adds pockets for some extra cargo space for the bike. With the winter liner removed there is a lot of airflow into the jacket and it can work in all but the hottest summer days.

My last option is for when it is very hot & that is a Tornado mesh jacket in waist length. It has a sporty look, so not ideal for the R18, but when it is 80 or higher, it does such a great job keeping you cool that I’m willing to make the compromise. Mine is in the light white/grey color so not only does the mesh help, but the light color reflects ambient sun as well, keeping you cooler. I used it this morning on my S1000R when it was 85 and was still comfortable. I also have the mesh pants & used those today since it was so hot.

I also have an Aerostich Roadcrafter R3 I use on the R18 sometimes. It’s not as much airflow as the mesh jacket, but it does let you wear street clothes underneath and just pull off the ‘stitch in about 30 seconds. I tend to use that on the R18 in spring & fall temps.

Klim marrakesh jacket is a master stroke in the heat - most comfortable high airflow jacket I ever did see.

Not cheap, but after trying maybe a dozen others, would not go back.

Couple it up with either klim induction gloves, or the rukka forsair mesh gloves - really nice on the hot days

I recently picked up one of these for the more inclement possibilities in the pacific northwest

It's medium weight. Lots of venting. Pert-near water proof. I'm happy thus far. May look into the matching pants...

I use a Joe Rocket bright yellow ballistic mesh jacket that breathes really well and is very light.

Back