Key Fob/Battery issue

I bought my R18 in April, and in May the bike would not recognize the key. I thought the fob battery had failed so I replaced it. Now its July, I have the same problem again. The low battery light did not come on, just the key is not recognized. This time I took the battery out and reseated it. Looks like a defective fob. Anyone else had this issue?
Geoff

I bought my R18 in April, and in May the bike would not recognize the key. I thought the fob battery had failed so I replaced it. Now its July, I have the same problem again. The low battery light did not come on, just the key is not recognized. This time I took the battery out and reseated it. Looks like a defective fob. Anyone else had this issue?
Geoff
Not I, but if I were you, I'd simply have it replaced under warranty.

I had a similar issue on a r18 TC I bought in June. Was getting an error on the display saying the key fob was out of range while I was riding even though it was in my pocket. I then stopped to eat a few days later and when I came out to start the bike it started and then shut off. Then it was as if the bike did not recognize the key and there was no power at all. I reset the battery the bike came back on for a second and I got a key fob error and it died. Had to get it towed to a shop and they said it was a defective battery in the bike and replaced it and performed software update. The bike then gave me an error that said fault in engine control several times and is in the shop again. I have not had the key fob issue in the week I had the bike back before it went into the shop though. Not sure if the issues are related but the R18s seem to have some electronic gremlings that need sorted out. Keep us posted on your bike.

It is ironic this post, I just returned from the BMW dealership having the go thru my 2021 R18 First Edition with a similar issue(s). The bike would periodically trigger a fault message indicating the key fob was not being seen despite being in my pocket while on bike. It appears that it was a faulty transmitter, located under the seat.

EDIT (7/18/2022). The issue returned after a few days with fault light returning indicating key fob was not found. Bike starts, but fault light keeps coming on while riding.

Last edited:
I'll get it changed at my next service, but I've found if I tap the fob on the base it starts to work again. I think it might be the battery contacts.

I had many problems with the FOB on my R1250RS. It nearly got me to return the bike and demand another mount. Dang it was a nasty experience BMW needs to figure this one out a bit better or go back to a regular KEY! ! !

Well, now approaching 2 months with no response or resolution from BMW Customer Service regarding the fob/transmitter fault. Stopped riding motorcycle due to the issue keeps coming back with fault. Sad to say that BMW motorcycles has lost a long time supporter. Will be filing a claim with my state AG's under lemon law with expectation the motorcycle be purchased back.

A little concerned as had the same just the other day. Whilst riding the bike I had the transmitter warning on the dash. Disappeared after a short time. Today I replaced the battery and will monitor things going forward.

Joy, yet another tech feature to worry about lol. There is no key option if the remote flakes out correct else other secret code using handlebar switches while standing on one leg perhaps?

Joy, yet another tech feature to worry about lol. There is no key option if the remote flakes out correct else other secret code using handlebar switches while standing on one leg perhaps?
I think you can use the kettle grey plastic proximity key. I need to read the manual further

Yup! Using the grey key, same with fob if battery is dead. The antennae is located under the seat, the key has to be held within a couple inches of it. On a low enough seat (like the stock FE) you can usually get it to work from top of the seat, but it always works when reaching underneath the fender to a place under the seat near the antennae, see the manual. I have used this for both FE and TC, to test and to configure spare keys.

Be aware that the dealership has already swapped out transmitter ring and multiple batteries in the fob with fault reappearing. IMHO it is a design flaw in transmitter ring or software related. I have seen the flaw replicated at least 12+ x’s in two months since purchase. Even reappears after computer fault is reset.

Be aware that the dealership has already swapped out transmitter ring and multiple batteries in the fob with fault reappearing. IMHO it is a design flaw in transmitter ring or software related. I have seen the flaw replicated at least 12+ x’s in two months since purchase. Even reappears after computer fault is reset.
Interesting that they will start with the ring antenna and not just get you a new FOB, that seem to be a logical first choice.

Thought I would update this post for those that are interested. No luck in getting decent support from BMW Customer Relations and the dealership. I dropped the bike off prior to heading out on vacation with family and they have now had the bike for 2+ weeks with no response. I know some of you out there have had the same fault appear on their R18's, but I will not be keeping the bike based upon the lackluster support from BMW or dealer. I am SO disappointed in BMW and their response, or lack thereof. I have been a staunch supporter of BMW motorcycles for 20+ years now. I am so frustrated with them that I am even considering getting rid of my other BMW motorcycle as a result.

Fully understand your frustration and wouldn’t even attempt to persuade you to change your mind. I love Land Rover as a brand, yet their service is so terrible I couldn’t buy another LR on principle.
What makes matters worse it that the fault on your R18 is probably something really simple and they still can’t be arsed to fix it. I feel your pain.
Have you tried Google to see if there is a dealership near you with a good reputation? This can make a tremendous difference.

I feel your frustration. I can only add this discussion by saying that I've had the same issue on one of my previous bikes.

The second R18 I had would periodically indicate loss of communication with the key. It never left me stranded unable to start though.
My first R18 and my current R18TC do not have these issues... (yet? Combined only about 1.5 mo / 2k miles so far).

I'll get it changed at my next service, but I've found if I tap the fob on the base it starts to work again. I think it might be the battery contacts.
There are many times in life when a bad contact is the problem. Just the other day my wife’s vacuum cleaner quit. I thought it had to be the switch. It was.

Back