Looks pretty simple and straightforward

MilwDave

Site Supporter
IMG_4185.jpeg

The accessory fork caps finally arrived. The installation seems to be pretty simple. Just pop the rubber caps and remove the the T55 Torx bolt below.
The first side broke loose using a breaker bar to not only break the bolt loose but to turn it out every step of the way. The aluminum thread were caked with red Loctite thread locker. Now who the hell uses red Loctite on aluminum threads especially on a service part?
I had to chase the threads just to reinstall the bolt.
The other side did not go so well.
IMG_4183.jpeg

The bolt turned about two rotations and twisted clean off. The amount of thread locker used on this bike is insane. Far more than on any bike I’ve worked on and beyond any manufacturer’s recommendations. But on an aluminum thread?
Now I have to disassemble the fork to replace the fork cap that this bolt threads through.
I’m really starting to regret buying this bike. I thought it would be a fun project bike but BMW has taken all the fun out of it for me.

Last edited:
I had the same problem Dave. First one easy. Second one breaker bar . Even then difficult. Besides too much Locktite, the bolt had a slight bend. Mine didn’t snap off. Took it to a bolt seller and he agreed it was warped slightly. Could be a bad batch.

Don’t give up : SETBACK. Bike looking good. Pain in the arse . Will be fixed. Keep improving the bike that one member here states we have no right to modify. Viva La Custom bike !

I had the same problem Dave. First one easy. Second one breaker bar . Even then difficult. Besides too much Locktite, the bolt had a slight bend. Mine didn’t snap off. Took it to a bolt seller and he agreed it was warped slightly. Could be a bad batch.
I wouldn’t be surprised if that were the case. When I looked down at the bolt head it did not look centered in the retainer.

Don’t give up : SETBACK. Bike looking good. Pain in the arse . Will be fixed. Keep improving the bike that one member here states we have no right to modify. Viva La Custom bike !
We’ll see how difficult it is to get this apart. Even the guys at the dealership weren’t really sure how it comes apart. The part’s diagram wasn’t very detailed and they hadn’t worked on an R18 front suspension yet.

Last edited:
Mmm... I have some fork springs coming.... I'm now a bit worried.... I do this stuff in my sleep normally (basic fork work)..... probally will use a heat gun now given you experience. Best of luck sorting it!

(Ps... can't believe how every bolt has threadlock on it these days.... in the old days it was only used selectively)

Mmm... I have some fork springs coming.... I'm now a bit worried.... I do this stuff in my sleep normally (basic fork work)..... probally will use a heat gun now given you experience. Best of luck sorting it!

(Ps... can't believe how every bolt has threadlock on it these days.... in the old days it was only used selectively)
I am pretty pissed off about this. I too rebuild my own forks and this is just unacceptable.
I only hope that removing the fork goes smoothly and I can disassemble the the upper portion rather than have to tear down the entire fork which may require some specialized BMW tooling. I have fork tools that fit several other manufacturers but this upper fork design looks quite a bit different than what I’ve seen before.

I am pretty pissed off about this. I too rebuild my own forks and this is just unacceptable.
I only hope that removing the fork goes smoothly and I can disassemble the the upper portion rather than have to tear down the entire fork which may require some specialized BMW tooling. I have fork tools that fit several other manufacturers but this upper fork design looks quite a bit different than what I’ve seen before.
Let us know how you go... I've only played with my R nin t scrambler forks in recent times... and they were "normal"

Let us know how you go... I've only played with my R nin t scrambler forks in recent times... and they were "normal"
I’ll have to see what it looks like once I tear it down. The parts diagrams I’ve looked it do not offer much clarity. Plus there it that issue of no service manual.

Fully agree with the amount of loctite! I have tried to replace the Bmw tank badges with the ones that came in the FE box, gave up in the end because I didn’t like the “feel” of the attachment screws retaining the original badges. Have decided I will ask the Bmw technician to back them off when the bike is next in for its service…. :)

I am really sorry to see what happened there Dave, I hope it get's better from here on out!

P.S.: Having ridden a '66 Shovelhead for a very long time (and still riding the old beast), I am used to having everything dowsed in blue Loctite ... If I don't want to go and pick up my bits along the freeway ;)

I am really sorry to see what happened there Dave, I hope it get's better from here on out!

P.S.: Having ridden a '66 Shovelhead for a very long time (and still riding the old beast), I am used to having everything dowsed in blue Loctite ... If I don't want to go and pick up my bits along the freeway ;)
Blue not red!

Ohhhh hell yes !! ... 'red' only for extreme things like internals !!!
That’s just basic common sense. But apparently common sense isn’t so common at BMW.
What’s interesting is when I Googled this problem I found old posts about BMW doing warranty on these bolts for “improper torque settings”. But my local dealer (FYI, not the selling dealer) wouldn’t even attempt to get BMW to warranty it.

Wow .. that is low! and then I think common sense is on back-order, just like that splint spray-on fix for my bike!!! Being German, I am very disappointed reading all these issues where there shouldn't be any ... wtf ever happened to that great German precision, work ethic and craftsmanship ... sigh

Wow .. that is low! and then I think common sense is on back-order, just like that splint spray-on fix for my bike!!! Being German, I am very disappointed reading all these issues where there shouldn't be any ... wtf ever happened to that great German precision, work ethic and craftsmanship ... sigh
I still continue to be impressed with attention to detail by the designers and engineers. The sloppy assembly is what continues to baffle me.
Today I removed the the fork while await the replacement parts to arrive at the dealership. The bolts holding the brake calipers and the pinch bolts on the triple tree were so loosely tightened I broke them free using a small T-spanner with one arthritic hand. They couldn’t have been installed with more than 10 lbs of torque. And guess what? No evidence of thread locker used anywhere on those bolts.

Last edited:
I still continue to be impressed with attention to detail by the designers and engineers. The sloppy assembly is what continues to baffle me.
Today I removed the the fork while await the replacement parts to arrive at the dealership. The bolts holding the brake calipers and the pinch bolts on the triple tree were so loosely tightened I broke them free using a small T-spanner with one arthritic hand. They couldn’t have been installed with more than 10 lbs of torque. And guess what? No evidence of thread locker used anywhere.
Assembled on a hang-over Monday?

Today I removed the the fork while await the replacement parts to arrive at the dealership. The bolts holding the brake calipers and the pinch bolts on the triple tree were so loosely tightened I broke them free using a small T-spanner with one arthritic hand. They couldn’t have been installed with more than 10 lbs of torque. And guess what? No evidence of thread locker used anywhere.
I totally agree: the German engineering and design is still there but the assembly is sloppy; I too have very low torqued bolts.

Back