Mirrors blind spot

Gerard

Premium Member
I'm really concerned by the blind spot in the mirror.
So I use to put these small additional mirrors in the main ones.
But the round OEM mirror is too small to accommodate them.
Does anybody have found compatible mirrors , bigger, oval, and beautiful, allowing to glue the additional mirror ?
The mirror connection on the R18 seems unusual.

Last edited:
Bar end mirrors are an option. Or little round adhesive convex mirrors. That said, I'm not getting much, if any, blind spot. The only area I'm not seeing is directly behind my shoulders. I just confirmed that the convergence of view is 5 feet behind the license plate. In other words, I can see a broomstick standing 5 feet directly behind my bike in both mirrors without even so much as moving my head.

Have you maximized things with the stock setup? Is the ball joint at your mirror(s) maxed-out, like you can't pivot it anymore? I found that playing with the angle of the mirror arm itself (rotating it forward or aft) at the point where it attaches to the levers helped some. There may also be some utility in rotating the levers themselves down or up a couple degrees to see if that gives you a better view.

Yes, agreed, I was just amending my post because I forgot about that and convex mirrors would help. I'm a big look-over-my-shoulder rider before lane changes and such. There are these weird 180 degree mirrors:

that's a serious commitment to no blind spots right there.

I've tried those.
But the curve is too steep.
I still have it on the windshield.
Useless.
The cars are appearing way too late.
That's why I'm searching another solution.

Miroir1.jpeg

Last edited:
Last edited:
I did miss the right link in the menu.
This helmet looks Super Super smart !!!!

😮

I hope it will be available in Europe.
I simply can't buy a helmet on line. I've gotta try them.
My skull size is 64 cm and few brands make stuff I'm confortable in , even if labelled XXL
My size isn't in relation with my brain size since I got a very small one, Well I'm a biker ....
But my skull bones are super thick ! 🤣

Last edited:
It’s cool, definitely, but $2000, battery life 4 hours, and no way to tell how it will fit.

Last edited:
Solution:

1) buy this

2) use heat gun and plastic car panel pry tools to remove existing mirror. Warm up an edge, insert the tool, pry gently while warming. It's really much easier than I thought it was going to be. Here's what you'll find. Pretty sloppy glue job there Heinrich. Now's your chance to tighten the nut too if it's loose, mine was fine.

9068BF24-BAB6-4A12-BFCD-3FD92824A245.jpeg

Back of OEM mirror.

D2608688-1351-45AB-9719-C87F414C6354.jpeg

3) apply hot glue to back of new convex mirror. I did a circumferential thick bead which, of course since its hot glue, cooled before I could adhere it. No matter.

4) don your welding gloves (did I mention you'd need welding gloves?) hold the new convex mirror in place, and heat it up to melt the glue and adhere it to the backing. Make sure it's all flush and happy.

AA3A8B6E-2C4D-4648-8C92-D0688FC6724B.jpeg
F5DA4135-5B35-476E-BFF4-336A8F8308FD.jpeg

5) marvel at your new view

(regular)

1BD5359E-2BF9-43D5-98DD-3EB1178CF6D8.jpeg

(convexified)

631A1526-88BF-4442-8196-119B93D9F818.jpeg

And done! Total cost, since I had to buy a heat gun, $62. It's reversible. No burnt bridges. The only lingering consideration I'm having is that maybe I should've used high temperature hot glue? Maybe heat the mirror in the oven, apply the glue, then adhere? I didn't want to use a super glue or gorilla glue product because of irreversibility. If it suddenly drops off while out on the road, I'll tighten my method.

Thanks Gerard for the inspiration!

Nate

/just checked things several hours after installation. Feels as solid as OEM

Last edited:
With less than 300 miles on my R18, I'm not sure that the OEM mirrors need to be tweaked, but I really like this info because it may prove useful to me yet. Great job!

TodkaVonic, couldn't you just have the convex mirror just set in place over the OEM one, with the double sided tape ?
BTW, I can't order the mirrors , they ask me to log in on my Amazon.fr account , where they don't appear ... :rolleyes:
I keep trying.

Last edited:
TodkaVonic, couldn't you just have the convex mirror just set in place over the OEM one, with the double sided tape ?
BTW, I can't order the mirrors , they ask me to log in on my Amazon.fr account , where they don't appear ... :rolleyes:
I keep trying.
Yes you could just stick new to old. It wasn’t great looking however as the edge of the mirror is taller than the chrome lip. I briefly taped it there to confirm that the view would be worth the effort.

Try this link

or just search “100mm convex mirror.”

Last edited:
Back