New here - considering next bike

Gwen

Hi, I’m Gwen, and I’m looking for my next motorcycle. I’m here to research the R18 and read about it from owners. I like to camp from my motorcycle, so I need capability to haul gear. I’m concerned about the heavier weight of the R18, though. I’m surprised to find some 2021s with good prices. I’m on a wait list for a 2022 Honda Rebel 1100, but if I could have my dream bike, it would be 70-something R90 or R75. Although I can do a little wrenching, it’s not practical for me to own a vintage bike.

I always come back to the BMWs. Thanks for letting me join.

Welcome Gwen!
Been camping with mine a couple times. Positive: 1) relatively quiet start up in the morning. 2) warm grips are really nice before the fog blows off. 3) no worries about whether or not it'll start up and no need to let it warm up. Negatives: 1) people will be asking about it until lights out...and then first thing in the morning too. The weight is a consideration, but it's so low that it doesn't feel cumbersome. Best to take an extended test ride.

Last edited:
Hi, I’m Gwen, and I’m looking for my next motorcycle. I’m here to research the R18 and read about it from owners. I like to camp from my motorcycle, so I need capability to haul gear. I’m concerned about the heavier weight of the R18, though. I’m surprised to find some 2021s with good prices. I’m on a wait list for a 2022 Honda Rebel 1100, but if I could have my dream bike, it would be 70-something R90 or R75. Although I can do a little wrenching, it’s not practical for me to own a vintage bike.

Hi Gwen. Welcome! I'm a recent convert to the R18. I just got mine on Tuesday. I am blown away by how awesome this bike is. Well balanced, handles amazing, lots of torque if you need it. It's really comfortable and has really thoughtful features like traction control, reverse gear, ABS, ride modes, heated grips, cruise control. BMW engineers really well, which was a big decision to buy it. It's significantly heavier than the 1100 Rebel, but its really well balanced. But it's a pretty amazing piece of machinery and as TV points out, definitely want to ride it and see for yourself.

Welcome! I have both an 1972 R75/5 and 2021 R18. They share a lot of DNA, but ride completely different. I find I’m in less of a rush on both than my other bikes, but the R18 character when you roll on the throttle is quite distinctive. Cable actuated drum brakes front and rear on the R75 do mean you plan stops a bit more than the R18.

I camp on my bikes too. I picked up my R18 in December, so I’ve not yet done it on there, but I did test fit all my gear in the saddlebags. I have a camp trip planned in June with it. I replaced my pillion seat with a rack to carry more gear. But to be fair, I’ve camped on my S1000R, so you can do it on most any bike.

Like most boxers, the weight is lower on the R18 than other engine configurations. But you can’t ignore the weight is there. It is nearly twice the weight of my R75, which is another reason they ride differently.

I’d encourage you to test ride the R18 to see if the weight is an issue. I will warn you though, you may end up with a huge smile on your face…. I still do on every ride!

I would chip in to say that the storage capacity on the r18 classic standard bags is a lot less than you might think by looking at them. If storage is a concern, maybe think about the bigger models, or something 3rd party for bags.

The classic bags 'look' like they are 20L, state that they are 15L, but feel like they are 10L.

As mentioned above you can camp with pretty much anything, but the R18 doesn't jump out as a first choice. It depends on the type of camping though. If it's just a matter of figuring how to pack it up and you are using the bike mainly to get you there, that'd be totally fine. Things like fire trails etc. are certainly possible, but would probably be more work than most would want.

As much as I love the R18, one of the variants of the R nineT might also be worth a look based on your comment about your dream bike. I had an Urban GS all decked out that was really wonderful. The 2022 version is really neat looking.

or just throwing it out there - a GS1250?
It’s definitely true. Space in the R18 Classic bags is limited. I had to be quite selective on what to take to get my gear to fit. With the rack I have more space than my S1000R, so the R18 is a better choice for camping than a sport bike.

For me, I think the R18 is OK for a campground, since you typically have access to clean water and other amenities but I’d rather take my GSA for dispersed camping, where I’d need to carry more supplies.

As an example, the smaller pannier (exhaust side) on my GSA is about 7 liters bigger than both R18 saddlebags combined! Considering I have another pannier 6 liters bigger than that, plus a rack and the GSA is more like a SUV for carrying capacity.

Welcome Gwen!
Been camping with mine a couple times. Positive: 1) relatively quiet start up in the morning. 2) warm grips are really nice before the fog blows off. 3) no worries about whether or not it'll start up and no need to let it warm up. Negatives: 1) people will be asking about it until lights out...and then first thing in the morning too. The weight is a consideration, but it's so low that it doesn't feel cumbersome. Best to take an extended test ride.
Thanks for this info. People asking could be entertaining. Did you get the classic with the saddlebags and windshield, or did you add the bags yourself? I have a set of Viking hard case leather bags on my current motorcycle and I’ve refined my packing to work with them, but I think exhaust on the R18 would interfere with bags like these. I need a test ride. I live far from any motorcycles that could be test ridden. I need to plan a trip. Thanks!

As mentioned above you can camp with pretty much anything, but the R18 doesn't jump out as a first choice. It depends on the type of camping though. If it's just a matter of figuring how to pack it up and you are using the bike mainly to get you there, that'd be totally fine. Things like fire trails etc. are certainly possible, but would probably be more work than most would want.

As much as I love the R18, one of the variants of the R nineT might also be worth a look based on your comment about your dream bike. I had an Urban GS all decked out that was really wonderful. The 2022 version is really neat looking.
No trails on this type of camping trip. I should have clarified that. However, I’ll look at the 2022 R Nine T. Seat height is a concern for me always. Thanks!

It’s definitely true. Space in the R18 Classic bags is limited. I had to be quite selective on what to take to get my gear to fit. With the rack I have more space than my S1000R, so the R18 is a better choice for camping than a sport bike.

For me, I think the R18 is OK for a campground, since you typically have access to clean water and other amenities but I’d rather take my GSA for dispersed camping, where I’d need to carry more supplies.

As an example, the smaller pannier (exhaust side) on my GSA is about 7 liters bigger than both R18 saddlebags combined! Considering I have another pannier 6 liters bigger than that, plus a rack and the GSA is more like a SUV for carrying capacity.
Campground camping is what I’m talking about for this. Longer road trip to campground camping is what I plan. I do love dispersed camping though.I do that from my AWD.SUV I replied in another comment that seat height is the issue, although I could really use the SUV-level space as well. I’ll take a closer look. Seat height is usually the sticking point. Thanks!

I would chip in to say that the storage capacity on the r18 classic standard bags is a lot less than you might think by looking at them. If storage is a concern, maybe think about the bigger models, or something 3rd party for bags.

The classic bags 'look' like they are 20L, state that they are 15L, but feel like they are 10L.
Good to know. They do look bigger. Appreciate this info. Thanks!

Welcome! I have both an 1972 R75/5 and 2021 R18. They share a lot of DNA, but ride completely different. I find I’m in less of a rush on both than my other bikes, but the R18 character when you roll on the throttle is quite distinctive. Cable actuated drum brakes front and rear on the R75 do mean you plan stops a bit more than the R18.

I camp on my bikes too. I picked up my R18 in December, so I’ve not yet done it on there, but I did test fit all my gear in the saddlebags. I have a camp trip planned in June with it. I replaced my pillion seat with a rack to carry more gear. But to be fair, I’ve camped on my S1000R, so you can do it on most any bike.

Like most boxers, the weight is lower on the R18 than other engine configurations. But you can’t ignore the weight is there. It is nearly twice the weight of my R75, which is another reason they ride differently.

I’d encourage you to test ride the R18 to see if the weight is an issue. I will warn you though, you may end up with a huge smile on your face…. I still do on every ride

I’d encourage you to test ride the R18 to see if the weight is an issue. I will warn you though, you may end up with a huge smile on your face…. I still do on every ride!
I envy you! I have the feeling that if I test ride, I wouldn’t walk away. Thanks for your input!

Hi Gwen. Welcome! I'm a recent convert to the R18. I just got mine on Tuesday. I am blown away by how awesome this bike is. Well balanced, handles amazing, lots of torque if you need it. It's really comfortable and has really thoughtful features like traction control, reverse gear, ABS, ride modes, heated grips, cruise control. BMW engineers really well, which was a big decision to buy it. It's significantly heavier than the 1100 Rebel, but its really well balanced. But it's a pretty amazing piece of machinery and as TV points out, definitely want to ride it and see for yourself.
Congratulations! I forgot about the reverse gear, and that’s a nice perk. Thanks for your feedback and the welcome!

Thanks for this info. People asking could be entertaining. Did you get the classic with the saddlebags and windshield, or did you add the bags yourself? I have a set of Viking hard case leather bags on my current motorcycle and I’ve refined my packing to work with them, but I think exhaust on the R18 would interfere with bags like these. I need a test ride. I live far from any motorcycles that could be test ridden. I need to plan a trip. Thanks!
Gwen,

The exhaust on the base R18 is taller than the exhaust on the other models which are more traditional straight style. This does impact how you mount bags. BMW does make some bags for the base R18 that mount higher than those on the other bikes. I’m not sure on capacity but they appear smaller than the Classic bags.

Since you’ve refined your gear to work with the Viking bags, it could be worth comparing capacity. Quickly eyeballing some of the Viking hard bags they were about 31 liters combined which is the same as the Classic (spec is 15.5 each). Not sure if those match the specific bags you have but they appear to be similar. Shape inside could be different also which can impact ease of packing.

No trails on this type of camping trip. I should have clarified that. However, I’ll look at the 2022 R Nine T. Seat height is a concern for me always. Thanks!
Revisiting my comment. One of my favorite camping spots is down a loose sand road. I forgot about that. I also live in the twisties and ride through the mountains a lot. I’ve seen lots of peg dragging in one review. Is this a real thing?

Back