Oil Level ???

Search should find you another thread on this, but an easy way is to check it when warm after giving a few minutes to drain/settle I simply sit on the bike to make her level and then reach down using my cell phone to snap a photo. There is very little difference in oil volume from the bottom to the top of the sight glass so as long as you see the oil level within the "Bulls Eye" you are good to go.

so, order a wheel choc from harbor freight. Problem solved. I keep my R18 in my garage fully upright. New BMW boxers used some oil, mine used a lot because of a known defect. You will need to check less often soon and if you have a front wheel stand its a snap. Keep it topped off warm near the top of the window and after a while you won't have to worry much about it at all. The design is the design and it doesn't permit the use of a dipstick.

Here is the problem, nothing shows in the sight window PERIOD, on center or side stand, I have chock and it makes no difference. I can start the engine and still no activity in the window, NADA like it has no oil at all.... For me this is scary....

Agreed. Sight glass oil level checks on bikes that don't come standard with a sidestand are stupid. My Africa Twin had a dipstick that was meant to be checked with the bike on the sidestand, which of all the bikes I have owned was my favorite.

But seriously, what engineer thought that holding the bike level with one hand while you lay your head on the ground to check the oil made sense? Other than bikes that have a center stand where they can be level and stable, it is a bad design.

I've just checked mine by sitting on the bike holding it level then using the video record on my phone and filming the level. then play it back.
not great but it should me the level

Speaking of bad design, the frame of the bike provides no way to support the bike on a lift. I am thinking this bike was a big mistake I should have kept my Indian... jp

Speaking of bad design, the frame of the bike provides no way to support the bike on a lift. I am thinking this bike was a big mistake I should have kept my Indian... jp
Not so! I’ve responded previously on this subject. I use a combination of the X518 with an adapter for the Kern Stabi Table Lift, which deals with all my requirements. There are also numerous threads showing inventive ways others have incorporated lifts into their maintenance routines. If you search this forum, I’m sure you’ll find something suitable.

This is so funny. BMW has been using this method for how many decades. Lol. You guys are killing me.

I’ll take this over a messy dip stick any day.

Cant read the oil level?? You see it’s actually a tricky Moto safety ‘filter’ that bmw and other manufacturers use. 😝. It filters out people who maybe shouldn’t be riding a motorcycle. 😂

I guess I am really dumb compared to you, why not drop by and show me how it is done or read the whole thing and see what my problem really is ! ! !
Well, not trying be a dick, but gezz man, it's a *sight glass*.. you LOOK at it... Classic mountain out of, in the case, *ant hill*...

Last edited:
This is so funny. BMW has been using this method for how many decades. Lol. You guys are killing me.

I’ll take this over a messy dip stick any day.

Cant read the oil level?? You see it’s actually a tricky Moto safety ‘filter’ that bmw and other manufacturers use. 😝. It filters out people who maybe shouldn’t be riding a motorcycle. 😂
Lol, "Muh great grandad did it this way so it must be the right way!". Solid argument, bro.

How sloppy are you that you find a dipstick messy? You realize that is the standard for just about every other motorized transport on Earth outside of a certain few motorcycle brands, right? It's a leftover method from a bygone era that is only kept today because it's the cheapest way to do it.

Look I am tired of the bullshit you are giving me Please read what I have said. I was not able to see any oil in the sight glass, this is not my first ride, got it ! ! !

Back