Open-Face Helmets.....

tommymck

I haven't used anything but full face helmets for decades. I recently picked this thing up and have to admit that in hot (90 degree +) weather, it's a comfortable option. I don't use it on highway commutes... Just back road tooling around. That probably doesn't count for anything, but who knows for sure?L1002725.jpgL1002733.jpg

My two-bits worth, it may not be as pleasing to the eye when the the jaw bar is up, but I have a modular Shoei Neotech II. Light, good ventilation, fantastic field of view. Built in sun shade. I even wear it into shops when I need to grab something quickly. By way of explanation, I wear hearing aids and spectacles... both aids come off when I remove the helmet with or without glasses, and they are small and hard to find and waaay expensive. So the modular lift up of the jar bar is cool in hot weather, and not as off-putting during minor retail transactions as humans feel more comfortable when they can see one another's faces during conversations. I had friends who were early adopters of modulars and I avoided them. I always had two helmets: open face for hot days in the city at slow speeds and the full face for the highway. I love my modular now and wish I had been a bit more adventurous sooner.

I've got a long oval, pumpkin head so arai has been my go to helmet as they are one of the few that offer a true l/o shell with quality and decent pricing.

I'm not an ATGATT fanatic, but I got in the habit after an early life lesson and then from racing years ago and it is a rare exception that I may ride even a short distance with "street clothes" and just my gloves and helmet, e.g., like when I'm on a trip and ride from a hotel or campground to a nearby restaurant or grocery store and right back to my quarters.

I've only gone down on the street twice in almost 60 years of riding. The first one I was young, stupid and bullet proof so no helmet, T-shirt and jeans and luckily it was during a very slow turn when I hit sand for a slow speed, low side. My noggin' got a big knot and very minor abrasions and I only dented the pavement a bit with my hard head. The second one was just 3 years ago when I made the mistake of stopping for a red light and the oil truck driver behind me decided I made a better way to stop than using his brakes. That was a real come to Jesus moment, but no hookers from the sky joined Him I'm sorry to say ;) .

Attachments

• 14A2EF63-8035-450E-B5FD-8A561E435530.jpeg
    14A2EF63-8035-450E-B5FD-8A561E435530.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Reactions: Alf
I've heard that before, asking for friend.... I doubt you have enough dough to tempt me, to make me share that secret with you, needless to say that it would be extremely detrimental to your general health.
My....friend... wants to know also. For safety reasons of course to make sure that all hazards are avoided.

In any case, you may indeed be correct that avoiding high speed motorways in a 3/4 helmet probably isn't making things safer.

Back