Price Aside, what R18 did you want, did you buy that one and why?

adamchandler

I was thinking a bit more about a potential purchase. I now have prices from dealers for basically every R18 model and discounts are averaging about $5,000 off on each so then it comes down to spending $15K on a Classic, $19 on a Bagger and $22 on a TransContinental. All are first edition bikes so loaded with all of the options.

I started my search wanting a classic but then wanted a bit more storage then thinking the TFT would be nice and then thinking a larger fuel tank would be nice to have as well and arrived at a bagger but then for $3K more, a loaded Transcontinental over the bagger gives 41L more of storage, better speakers, more plush seat with heat and more wind protection with the winglets that I would have added anyway.

But then I thought the TransCon is more bike than I really need. It's heavy, expensive and I own a GS Adventure so I have a touring bike and it sort of defeats where I started my search which was the classic for weekends and overnighters in hotels/cabins (not camping off the bike). My wife has her own F750 so I won't have a pillion but the winglets, comfy heated seat and extra storage I'd add later would make a Bagger more pricey than the Transcend anyway.

...so here I am asking you all.

1. What R18 did you buy?
2. Is it the one you actually wanted or did price set you down that path?
3. What would you change about your model?
4. Any buyer's remorse for getting a TransCon instead of a bagger or a classic instead of a base?

Thank you all. I have 5 dealers I'm talking to and wanted to make a decision this week.

As I mentioned in a previous post...I initially went for the R18FE (cruiser). I enjoyed it so much, but wanted something more comfortable for longer rides, so I purchased the R18TC to go along with the FE. Now, I am all in on the R18 line, lol. The added storage, the stage 2 tunes, longer suspension travel, comfort, deflectors, foot boards, etc., on the TC are awesome. But the raw feeling that the R18FE provides, is equally awesome, just different. Decisions, decisions, decisions....

As I mentioned in a previous post...I initially went for the R18FE (cruiser). I enjoyed it so much, but wanted something more comfortable for longer rides, so I purchased the R18TC to go along with the FE. Now, I am all in on the R18 line, lol. The added storage, the stage 2 tunes, longer suspension travel, comfort, deflectors, foot boards, etc., on the TC are awesome. But the raw feeling that the R18FE provides, is equally awesome, just different. Decisions, decisions, decisions....

You're perfectly placed to answer this for me even though I know you probably don't want to pick just one (clearly) but the TC's larger tank, suspension, music, TFT and fuel gauge are probably huge plusses but at the cost of added weight. I would imagine the TC is much slower off the line, do you have to downshift for an interstate pass versus the FE where you can easily pass in 6th? Any other weight issues on the TC or how does its fuel economy compare to your FE?

Thanks in advance!

You're perfectly placed to answer this for me even though I know you probably don't want to pick just one (clearly) but the TC's larger tank, suspension, music, TFT and fuel gauge are probably huge plusses but at the cost of added weight. I would imagine the TC is much slower off the line, do you have to downshift for an interstate pass versus the FE where you can easily pass in 6th? Any other weight issues on the TC or how does its fuel economy compare to your FE?

Thanks in advance!
Fuel economy is close, just a few mpg less then the FE. The TC is definitely slower, both off the line and into the rev range. Neither bike is as responsive as the GS or RT. Weight is not a issue for me on either bike, although noticeable when getting the TC off the side stand. If I had to pick one, it would be the TC, as it is a much better all around bike imo. Oh, yeah...the bigger tank is great! The R18FE, is more of a, around town, short ride bike, but I love the feeling I get, when riding it.

Thank you @pbosik for the response and photos. It seems like the bagger is best of both worlds. You have spring rate, tank, TFT, audio (just not as good since bagger is stage 1 only) and wind protection and an in-between weight & MPG between Pure & TC. Bagger might be my choice.

Last edited:
I didn't buy my Classic for the small difference in costs between models as with "free money" interest rates and very good discounts from both BMW and the Dealers it really is a small amount per month.

I've ridden all over the Country on many OEMs to include multiple BMW R, S and F models and on paper there is no real argument for the R18 regardless the version other than subjective lust. While the B and TC have the "benefits" you described, I came back again and again to the FE and Classic and with a superb deal from my shop I went for the Classic. There is a "wish list" thread that may provide some more thoughts for you to ponder as well. FUN riding on whichever you choose, good luck.

Any R18 is a good choice. Given the back roads of NH, the B would be a better choice, especially suspension wise. I lived in Nashua, Hooksett, Goffstown and Pembroke for 12 years, and the roads were in rough shape back then.

Any R18 is a good choice. Given the back roads of NH, the B would be a better choice, especially suspension wise. I lived in Nashua, Hooksett, Goffstown and Pembroke for 12 years, and the roads were in rough shape back then.

Still are. I had a stock GTI that lost an oil pan on some early-spring frost heaves in Tilton NH. wasn't a low model but put a huge hole in the oil pan and almost ripped it off and let me stranded. I have a truck now :p

@pbosik - Good evening! The R18 Pure /Classic and Bagger/Transcon, are the headlights the same? I know Premium adds some cornering but the part itself. Does your TC put out more light than the Pure or Classic? I want to maintain the lines and not add aftermarket auxiliary lights

The R18 TC is noticeably more nimble than the Harley Davidson RoadGlide even though it is 60 Lbs heavier. The TC has a lower center of gravity.
The HD RoadGlide is a great great bike for highway riding, but the TC is a deluxe machine.
The tech on the TC is extraordinary. One caution….during slow speed turning, you need to keep the bike vertical and counter steer to control the weight.

My R18 & R18TC have the similar headlights, both are cornering lighting. The TC has the additional lights on each side. For that reason, the TC has better lighting and imo, better visibility. 20220524_141308.jpg

I was initially drawn to the Pure, but I was unsure of the exhaust. It looks better in person than in pictures. I loved the test ride.

When the demo truck came to my local dealer I tried the Classic & B back to back. Both had footboards which I wasn’t sure about either, but I quickly acclimated. The B feels slightly more nimble with the steeper rake, but the extra weight limits this difference. The extra travel on the rear shock makes it slightly more compliant over bumps, but again the extra weight limits the difference. The 10” screen is nice and it feels modern, which seems a bit contrary for the R18. Great on a K1600 or an RT.

But, I’m not keen on fairings generally. My GSA already makes it too hot to use in really warm weather, so I use my naked bikes more. A fairing is great in cold weather though. I have a huge tank on my GSA, but it doesn’t have a practical benefit. I find it’s good to stop every 2 hours or 100 miles anyway to keep fresh, so 150 mile range is plenty. To my eye, the Pure & Classic look more retro than the B or TC.

The convertible nature of the Classic won me over. I can use the panniers for weekend trips and take them off for local rides and day trips. The screen goes on in minutes to take the bite off winter riding, but can be removed as the weather warms up. It effectively becomes a Pure, albeit with a more traditional exhaust. I could buy accessories to try to turn a Pure into a Classic, but it would cost much more than getting it bundled. I liked the red coming in 2022, but my dealer offered a great price on a 21, so I bought a R18 Classic First Edition

Back