Price check on aisle 5

Hello All,

I'm looking to buy a R18 Classic First Edition. The bike is a premium build with all options. Dealer is offering $18,600 OTD (Michigan 6% sales tax and tags included). BMW will make the first 6 payments. That said, I'm told that that deal can't be done at the .9% rate being advertised and must be done using EasyRide financing at a slightly higher rate. My score is just under 800, so my ability to qualify for the preferred rate isn't at issue. Either way, when considering the BMW payments my net cost is roughly $16,600 OTD. Seems like a fair deal, but not a great deal based on some of the advertised prices I've seen recently. Has anyone done considerable better on a comparably equipped bike? What is the general sense from the group on the deal purely in relation to current BMW incentives and general market pricing?

Thanks in advance for any insight offered.

Last edited:
Based on my recent purchase I have to throw the BS flag on what they told you about the financing. I got the BMW advertised 0.9% financing through BMW Financial Services.

I bought a new 2021 R 18 First Edition (non-Classic) and the OTD price at the dealership was $13K but I will pay an additional $710 sales tax and $55 title/registration since I live in another state for a total of $13,765. After the 6 BMW payments covering $2K, the total price will be $11,765, essentially half the MSRP...

Thanks D04011,

Is your R18 FE fully loaded (I believe they all are). The one I'm looking at has all options including the alarm. Really want this bike, but don't want to go in too "high" considering the exaggerated potential for downside with the current incentives being offered. Either way, congrats on the new bike and the fantastic deal. Have a great 2022 riding season.

My R18 FE is fully loaded. I think they were all probably imported that way. Same way on my BMW K1600 Grand America...

Regarding the financing, I know many motorcycle and car dealers make more money (kickbacks) from different financing companies and perhaps your dealership is trying to make some extra bucks by having you go with another company rather than BMW Financial Services. To maximize the $2K, you need to have payments around $333 per month (6 payments X $333 = $1998) since BMW will only pay those first 6 payments...

Hope you enjoy your new ride...

My R18 FE is fully loaded. I think they were all probably imported that way. Same way on my BMW K1600 Grand America...

Regarding the financing, I know many motorcycle and car dealers make more money (kickbacks) from different financing companies and perhaps your dealership is trying to make some extra bucks by having you go with another company rather than BMW Financial Services. To maximize the $2K, you need to have payments around $333 per month (6 payments X $333 = $1998) since BMW will only pay those first 6 payments...

Hope you enjoy your new ride...
Yeah, the more I hear of the deals others are getting I'm certain the dealer is trying to make money on "reserve" (holdback) via the BMW EasyPay. I'm aware of the $333 monthly payment limit. I plan to adjust my amortization period to maximize the benefit of the BMW payments. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Yeah, the more I hear of the deals others are getting I'm certain the dealer is trying to make money on "reserve" (holdback) via the BMW EasyPay. I'm aware of the $333 monthly payment limit. I plan to adjust my amortization period to maximize the benefit of the BMW payments. Thanks again!
As in automotive retail the majority of lenders today pay a flat fee based on the amount borrowed. So just look for the lowest rate and don't worry who's making what. Remember, everyone who provides you with a service is there to make a living.

Hello All,

I'm looking to buy a R18 Classic First Edition. The bike is a premium build with all options. Dealer is offering $18,600 OTD (Michigan 6% sales tax and tags included). BMW will make the first 6 payments. That said, I'm told that that deal can't be done at the .9% rate being advertised and must be done using EasyRide financing at a slightly higher rate. My score is just under 800, so my ability to qualify for the preferred rate isn't at issue. Either way, when considering the BMW payments my net cost is roughly $16,600 OTD. Seems like a fair deal, but not a great deal based on some of the advertised prices I've seen recently. Has anyone done considerable better on a comparably equipped bike? What is the general sense from the group on the deal purely in relation to current BMW incentives and general market pricing?

Thanks in advance for any insight offered.
My R18 Classic First Edition fully loaded was $17,000 OTD with 0.9% financing where they also offer an incentive of $3K off MSRP. I got it in December though and the financing offer was due to expire at end of year, so not sure if the same financing deal was renewed in 2022.

I was planning on getting a 2022 without the chrome bits, but when my dealer reached out with the offer on a first edition at that price, it was a huge reduction from what I’d planned in the spring, so I jumped on it.

Being winter, I can’t imagine any dealer wants to have a bike sitting on the floor, especially in northern states like Michigan, so they might be open to budging on price some more. I’d suggest looking at the total cost to acquire the bike including the interest on financing if you go that route. Also check on the 6 payments as that was only on traditional financing, not easy ride when I did mine.

As in automotive retail the majority of lenders today pay a flat fee based on the amount borrowed. So just look for the lowest rate and don't worry who's making what. Remember, everyone who provides you with a service is there to make a living.
Agreed. I wasn't as much worried about the dealer getting a flat fee payment as I was trying to understand why they might be driving me that direction. In the end, the deal has to be workable and fair for all. There are certainly a number of ways to get there.

My R18 Classic First Edition fully loaded was $17,000 OTD with 0.9% financing where they also offer an incentive of $3K off MSRP. I got it in December though and the financing offer was due to expire at end of year, so not sure if the same financing deal was renewed in 2022.

I was planning on getting a 2022 without the chrome bits, but when my dealer reached out with the offer on a first edition at that price, it was a huge reduction from what I’d planned in the spring, so I jumped on it.

Being winter, I can’t imagine any dealer wants to have a bike sitting on the floor, especially in northern states like Michigan, so they might be open to budging on price some more. I’d suggest looking at the total cost to acquire the bike including the interest on financing if you go that route. Also check on the 6 payments as that was only on traditional financing, not easy ride when I did mine.
Thanks nielsm. That is a helpful comparison. Enjoy the new ride!

As the newer models roll in, prices will be more negotiable depending on the dealership. My Classic was 16733.00 out the door TT&L (Texas). Given the 6 month payment by BMW the cost dropped to about 14,750.00 and figuring around $1k for all the taxes, registration, inspection, etc that equates to about 13750.00 give our take $100. But here's the kicker and why the R18 Classic for me was a no brainer. I looked at a 2022 Triumph Cordovan Red and Silver T120 that listed at $12,800 (thinking I might go smaller, more nimble) and after a discount of $400 off MSRP and all the bulls#/it add-ons like assembly, prep, shipping... it came to 15,100.00. I know it's apples to oranges but as I said, a no brainer.

As the newer models roll in, prices will be more negotiable depending on the dealership. My Classic was 16733.00 out the door TT&L (Texas). Given the 6 month payment by BMW the cost dropped to about 14,750.00 and figuring around $1k for all the taxes, registration, inspection, etc that equates to about 13750.00 give our take $100. But here's the kicker and why the R18 Classic for me was a no brainer. I looked at a 2022 Triumph Cordovan Red and Silver T120 that listed at $12,800 (thinking I might go smaller, more nimble) and after a discount of $400 off MSRP and all the bulls#/it add-ons like assembly, prep, shipping... it came to 15,100.00. I know it's apples to oranges but as I said, a no brainer.
Sounds like we're looking at similar numbers on the R18 Classic OTD WaydeG. My price is a little higher, but my bike has floor boards. I don't know if yours does too, but they are a $500 option. As you say, the prices for this great machine are really attractive at the moment, and compared to other offerings in the price range the decision really is a "no brainer". I just bought a new R1250GSA last fall and will still be buying the R18 custom this month. I've wanted a cruiser in the stable for a while and the deals on this one are just too good to pass up.

Sounds like we're looking at similar numbers on the R18 Classic OTD WaydeG. My price is a little higher, but my bike has floor boards. I don't know if yours does too, but they are a $500 option. As you say, the prices for this great machine are really attractive at the moment, and compared to other offerings in the price range the decision really is a "no brainer". I just bought a new R1250GSA last fall and will still be buying the R18 custom this month. I've wanted a cruiser in the stable for a while and the deals on this one are just too good to pass up.
I opted for the pegs vs the footboards. A wider aftermarket platform style peg set up will work better for me. Ive also used heal/toe shifters in the past and half the time never used the heel shifter. I rode home from the dealership today (about 40 miles) in a 25mph cross wind on the interstate. After not having been on a bike in nearly 18 months it was a bit of a challenge and a little nerve racking getting used to the wind blast, shift points, braking and cornering (esp on a very windy overpass). Parked it in a warm spot in the garage, wiped it down. and just sat there grinning. Absolutely no regrets. Now for an improved seat.....

I opted for the pegs vs the footboards. A wider aftermarket platform style peg set up will work better for me. Ive also used heal/toe shifters in the past and half the time never used the heel shifter. I rode home from the dealership today (about 40 miles) in a 25mph cross wind on the interstate. After not having been on a bike in nearly 18 months it was a bit of a challenge and a little nerve racking getting used to the wind blast, shift points, braking and cornering (esp on a very windy overpass). Parked it in a warm spot in the garage, wiped it down. and just sat there grinning. Absolutely no regrets. Now for an improved seat.....
Congrats on the new ride. Hope the upcoming season is a great one!

@TCClassic as others have said, the deal you're getting is pretty good. But the dealer forcing you to go for BMW's EasyRide financing is a big red flag and may not even be legal. EasyRide is just a short-term loan with a balloon payment. You'd be far better off with 0.9% for 60 months.

For comparison, I just made a deal here in northern California for a 2021 R18 Classic First Edition, loaded like yours, for $18,820 out-the-door. My sales tax rate is 7.75%, perhaps higher than yours. But still a pretty good deal given all the incentives that BMW Motorrad is offering. As far as I know, they will allow me to stack the incentives and go for $3,000 in customer cash, 0.9% financing for 60 months, and six months free payments. What's not to like?! :cool:

@TCClassic as others have said, the deal you're getting is pretty good. But the dealer forcing you to go for BMW's EasyRide financing is a big red flag and may not even be legal. EasyRide is just a short-term loan with a balloon payment. You'd be far better off with 0.9% for 60 months.

For comparison, I just made a deal here in northern California for a 2021 R18 Classic First Edition, loaded like yours, for $18,820 out-the-door. My sales tax rate is 7.75%, perhaps higher than yours. But still a pretty good deal given all the incentives that BMW Motorrad is offering. As far as I know, they will allow me to stack the incentives and go for $3,000 in customer cash, 0.9% financing for 60 months, and six months free payments. What's not to like?! :cool:
@ridgebackpilot thanks for the feedback. I was able to negotiate a considerably better price than what was indicated in my original post. I was also able to get the .9% financing rate and 6 payments from BMW. All in, I feel pretty good about the deal I got. Looking forward to the upcoming season!

Last edited:
@TCClassic sounds good! I get the impression that buyers are not yet lining up outside BMW Motorrad dealerships, waiting to buy the R18. So in an effort to bolster first year sales figures, dealers are heavily discounting these bikes while offering very generous manufacturer incentives. That makes these bikes a smoking hot deal, provided we don't mind being early adopters! I usually don't buy the first year of any vehicle, having learned that lesson the hard way. But in this case the bike is awesome and the deals are just too good!

@TCClassic sounds good! I get the impression that buyers are not yet lining up outside BMW Motorrad dealerships, waiting to buy the R18. So in an effort to bolster first year sales figures, dealers are heavily discounting these bikes while offering very generous manufacturer incentives. That makes these bikes a smoking hot deal, provided we don't mind being early adopters! I usually don't buy the first year of any vehicle, having learned that lesson the hard way. But in this case the bike is awesome and the deals are just too good!
Interestingly enough, there are no changes in the Pure or Classic from 2021-2022. That may bolster some confidence. The R18 is a big hit in Europe (so Im told) and dealers want these units on the road for visibility. Every time I stop, Im asked if my R18 is an import or is it available in the US. Half of my old HD rider group loves it the other half was insulted I would buy a British bike.... (uh, guys? BMW is German). BMW needs to do a better job of educating the American market on the R18 if they want to dip into the MoCo crowd.

Back