Question about the 24 liter fuel tank and the r18B standard saddle

If you mean the Pure (base R18), it’s unlikely the tank would fit out of the box. The B & TC have a different frame in the tank area with the different fork angle. While it is bigger than the tank of the Pure/Classic by about 2.1 gallons, it is also behind a big fairing and so might look odd on the naked bikes. I typically get at least 150 miles per tank with some reserve left (0.7 gallons) on my Classic. Is your mileage that much worse than mine?

The saddle might work, but given the size might look odd on the Pure. I have a Weekender on my R18 Classic & it is a huge improvement over the stock seat of the naked bikes.

If you mean the Pure (base R18), it’s unlikely the tank would fit out of the box. The B & TC have a different frame in the tank area with the different fork angle. While it is bigger than the tank of the Pure/Classic by about 2.1 gallons, it is also behind a big fairing and so might look odd on the naked bikes. I typically get at least 150 miles per tank with some reserve left (0.7 gallons) on my Classic. Is your mileage that much worse than mine?

The saddle might work, but given the size might look odd on the Pure. I have a Weekender on my R18 Classic & it is a huge improvement over the stock seat of the naked bikes.
Hi, thanks for the reply. In reality it is only for aesthetic, because I have always liked motorcycles with very large tanks. Given that the R18 engine is very wide, in my opinion the 24-litre tank could fit well and allow you to mount a wider and more comfortable saddle without ruining the line of the bike, while giving it a more imposing appearance. But unfortunately from what you tell me the R18B fuel tank is not compatible with the pure R18 frame. right?
The idea was to customize the bike to look like an R18B without the batwing and the rigid saddlebags.

Hi, thanks for the reply. In reality it is only for aesthetic, because I have always liked motorcycles with very large tanks. Given that the R18 engine is very wide, in my opinion the 24-litre tank could fit well and allow you to mount a wider and more comfortable saddle without ruining the line of the bike, while giving it a more imposing appearance. But unfortunately from what you tell me the R18B fuel tank is not compatible with the pure R18 frame. right?
The idea was to customize the bike to look like an R18B without the batwing and the rigid saddlebags.
It's not listed as compatible by BMW's fiche, which typically means it's not designed nor tested for it rather than it absolutely can't work. However, I wouldn't expect the mounting hardware to align given the different frame at the front & the need to support more weight on the bigger tank. Beyond that, the fairing tank is taller with the cell phone holder and slightly longer, so it could interfere with the steering forks. You would in effect be doing custom work anyway & rather than hacking it to make it work, maybe having a custom tank built would give you the exact look you like while ensuring it fits as needed.

Screenshot 2023-06-02 at 7.45.41 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-06-02 at 7.45.29 AM.png

Eventually somebody will offer a larger tank for the FE/Pure ... so I hope :) ... that is so far the only thing that bugs me about this bike ... I can only get to work 4 days a week (at best) without filling up, with the ChromeHead I could make it all week (barely) ... sigh

Eventually somebody will offer a larger tank for the FE/Pure ... so I hope :) ... that is so far the only thing that bugs me about this bike ... I can only get to work 4 days a week (at best) without filling up, with the ChromeHead I could make it all week (barely) ... sigh
4 days is pretty good. When I was commuting all the way to the office by bike each day, I refilled at least every other day, but it was at least 100 mile round trip.

For typical rides, I assume on almost all my bikes that I refuel at least each day I ride. The exceptions are my GSA which is a 9 gallon tank & my Vespa which I refill every couple weeks as it gets ~70MPG & I only use for errands or ride to the commuter train into my local town (typically 6 mile roundtrip). But then again, I often ride 100 miles to get a coffee or breakfast.

Last edited:
Have you seen:

I think he sells a kit for the tank "upgrade"

Quote from link....

list of items to buy from BMW:
- 24L fuel tank from the Bagger model
- insulating mats under the tank
- rubbers for the frame under the tank
elements from the inside of the tank were moved from the 16L tank
we did:
- front mounting adapter
- rear mounting adapter
- middle leather belt with a decorative element and a fastening element for the front adapter
- Heritage tank pad
I also recommend: replacing the fuel line with a 2-3cm longer one
ps. We can deliver items made by us

Yes I did see that thread ... absolutely awesome job on that project ... I may have to revisit that!
Oh and a little edit to my earlier post:
I was stating that I can get to work 4 days a week, that was when the weather was crappy and I was doing 65-70 mph .. now its nice and my cruising speed has gone to 85 ... and I only make it 3 days now .. sigh .. the price to pay for a little fun pre and post wage slavery ;)

Back