R12 is coming!

Why are they calling that a 'Cruiser'? that looks way more 'cafe' to me ... a lot like the R9 ... hmmm I am pretty sure I am not a fan, too small for me .. this big boy would look like the proverbial monkey on the football 😆 ... but that's just my 2¢ 😁

The comments on that article are pretty funny.

"The essence of the market revolves around tradition, American Made, Harley Owner Group Chapters, and the emotional attachments to those elements."

I sincerely doubt BMW is is trying to target those types of people, but rather the other 95% of the world that doesn't make a brand their entire personality.

"I currently ride in a HOG Chapter. I’ve owned Suzukis, Yamahas, and BMW. They can’t touch the cruiser market. Not sure why they would spend the money and the time trying. Even their touring options don’t match the passenger ergos on a large Harley cruiser tourer. They seem to keep misinterpreting our market."

The cruiser market that is rapidly aging out of being capable of riding? Heck, even Harley seems to have finally realized that making nothing but a sportster and 58 variations of the same $30,000+ motorcycle isn't sustainable for the future with the new sportsters, pan am, etc. I would be absolutely shocked if BMW's goal with their cruisers had any pretentions of converting HOG members.

I was literally thinking the other day that it would be pretty neat (not in my wheel house, but neat) if they basically made a 1200 boxer in the vein of an evo sportster. They basically have the platform in the R9T, just have to cruiser ergo the thing. As I have read (don't know how much truth there is to it), the R18 was originally tested as basically a cruiser R9T, but the powerplant wasn't cutting it for a big full size cruiser, so they made the 1800 boxer. This may be left over from that experiment, and if they can get it anywhere close to the R9T pure price point, that could definitely tempt some newer younger cruiser potential buyers.

Saw some early concept photos. (In German) Not sure I’m a fan yet.

https://www.motorradonline.de/chopper-cruiser/konzept-cruiser-bmw-r-12/
“MOTORRAD speculates and commissioned designer Kar Lee to think about the R 12”

Is the key takeaway from that. Much like when Auto Express or similar speculate about a new car model and do a render. IF it is ever realised, never looks anything like the drawing.

I’ll be very surprised if what is released under that name looks anything like a cruiser. My guess would be they’ll put the 1250 boxer in a bike similar to the R9T, with the S model getting the 1250 boxer with shiftcam to go up against the HD Sportster S and Indian FTR.

Back