R12 Rumors - Yes please!

If BMW is listening, I believe there would be a market for the rumored R12 Cruiser - the little brother version to the R18 to be based on the R nineT power plant. This was rumored around this time in 2021, and it was suggested an unveiling might occur in October, 2021. Does anyone have anything further as to whether we may see the R12 soon?

Thanks!

that would be cool, it could be significantly lighter with the r12* engine and a lighter frame, and benefit from a 6 speed transmission (my 2002 R12C is a 5 speed) . I haven't heard anything but an anonymous whisper some time back but it'd be a great fun bike.

I don’t think it was so much a rumor as much as a wish for some riders who felt the R18 was too big.

But the market for small displacement cruisers was and is much more limited and often thought of as starter bikes. As the original R1200C showed us, it is even more limited if you think of breaking the v-twin paradigm.

But, the R18 is a lot of fun and from my perspective more character and smiles than the R1200C was in many ways due to the size of the engine. While I enjoyed my ride on the R1200C, I never had the sort of silly grin on my face that the big boxer engine creates. My GS is the same motor as in the RNineT and while it’s nice, the big boxer is something else entirely. I don’t expect BMW will try a small displacement cruiser again unless the R18 becomes a runaway success.

Shorter riders should be OK on the R18 as the seat height is on the floor and often reducing reach can be accomplished at no cost by simply rotating the bars. Pullback risers can further reduce the reach.

I don’t think it was so much a rumor as much as a wish for some riders who felt the R18 was too big.

But the market for small displacement cruisers was and is much more limited and often thought of as starter bikes. As the original R1200C showed us, it is even more limited if you think of breaking the v-twin paradigm.

But, the R18 is a lot of fun and from my perspective more character and smiles than the R1200C was in many ways due to the size of the engine. While I enjoyed my ride on the R1200C, I never had the sort of silly grin on my face that the big boxer engine creates. My GS is the same motor as in the RNineT and while it’s nice, the big boxer is something else entirely. I don’t expect BMW will try a small displacement cruiser again unless the R18 becomes a runaway success.

Shorter riders should be OK on the R18 as the seat height is on the floor and often reducing reach can be accomplished at no cost by simply rotating the bars. Pullback risers can further reduce the reach.
I see your points, except that, if you aren't under 5'7 you may not appreciate how much a bike's scale and ergonomics, often with a 6' rider in mind, affects shorter riders. It goes well beyond simple handlebar placement. I am likely to pick up an R18, but will need some mods to get a reasonable fit (seat mod for reduced reach, risers), but it will still be a compromise. Starting from a more compact package, an R12 would better-target shorter riders, but also those who want less mass overall. I do agree that BMW will need to consider how much of a market that would open up and whether it's worth it. That said, as they have expanded the R18 line with additional versions since the FE introduction, it seems like BMW is interested to see what their place can be in the cruiser market, and a scaled-down version could be a big hit for not only shorter riders (including many female riders BTW) but those who want something less massive and more nimble. The R12 would fit that bill, and the R18 was a good introduction for the line, no doubt.
Cheers!

I’m well aware of if you fall out of the typical height range how bikes can be a challenge. One of my riding buddies is 4’11 and he had to essentially remove all padding from his seat and wear platform shoes so he could tip toe on his R1200R. I’m 6’4” and suffer the opposite problem, most bikes are too cramped for me.

If you are 3” either side of of the target 5’7” height you are usually OK with any bike, but anything beyond that and ergonomics usually need some help.

Cruisers typically do help shorter riders with the low seat height and often is the same between lower capacity and large capacity bikes. Adventure bikes tend to be the opposite with tall seat heights regardless of capacity.

But it is fair to say that some riders may want a bit less weight. I personally tend that way too. The market for that in cruisers seems to be mostly large capacity but a smaller frame and weight. Indian’s new Chief line and the Harley Softail lines would be good examples.

While I don’t disagree with you that a “small capacity” boxer cruiser could be a good option, but at least in the US, the perception is 1000-1200cc cruisers are beginner bikes even though in most parts of the world that is a big engine! That’s how BMW had problems with the original R1200C, it was a big engine for BMW, but considered a small entry level size for cruisers who want a traditional v-twin and an entry level price point.

Maybe the R18 will change that perception and make a premium “small capacity” boxer cruiser like the R12C viable. Fingers crossed.

Triumph is quite successful with their 1200 Bonneville Bobber. A small BMW R12 Bobber / Cruiser with a smaller displacement (the engine is available from the RNineT range) would perfectly fit into this target market. I am sure BMW do their homework (market research). It was also once mentioned in an interview by the Head of Product development that a „R12“ would be a consequent step for BMW‘s cruiser line up. Doesn’t it sounds like that they are working on something?

I support your points, I would suggest the reason the R1200C (which I have BTW) was not a great success is because of its styling, which was controversial at best. Further, the R nineT power plant makes 110 bhp vs the R1200C which makes 61, so I doubt anyone would feel an R12 would be underpowered.

An R12 would surely get my vote!

Triumph is quite successful with their 1200 Bonneville Bobber. A small BMW R12 Bobber / Cruiser with a smaller displacement (the engine is available from the RNineT range) would perfectly fit into this target market. I am sure BMW do their homework (market research). It was also once mentioned in an interview by the Head of Product development that a „R12“ would be a consequent step for BMW‘s cruiser line up. Doesn’t it sounds like that they are working on something?
FWIW, here's an article that I referenced before posting the original post.

an R12 cruiser ala R18, i'd expect could be surprisingly nimble, the R18 is more manageable than it's weight would imply.. an R12 in similar profile, weight scaled back, with a newer transmission, would be pretty sporty... if they made a frame i'd bet they could get the rest of the build from existing parts bins.... and it would be a great stepping-stone to the R18.

Last edited:
Did anyone else around here used to or still have an R1200C? It was that bike when it came out that got me originally interested in riding. I thought it was the coolest looking thing ever and still do, with the R18 being right up there as well. At 6’4”, I felt totally ridiculous on it, though, with my knees sticking way out to the sides and ended up spending much more time on my R1150GS.

Still waiting to pick up the R18C I bought in December. Hoping to figure out the ergos to accommodate my size and send the GS off to a new home.

Triumph has a great line up, but arguably none of them are cruisers. Most consider a cruiser has a low slung stance often manifesting with a low seat height, forward controls and a fairly slack rake around 29-32°. Triumph's Bonneville line are standard motorcycles, often with retro appeal and some variations on styling, including highly customized Bonnevilles of the past like the Bobber. In that regard the whole Bonneville lineup is similar to the RNineT line and in fact many riders often cross-shop them.

The only reference to a smaller cruiser from BMW was often republished from an original interview in a French publication about a year ago: http://www.lerepairedesmotards.com/actualites/2021/cruiser-bmw-r11-moyenne-cylindree.php. In that, Markus Schramm specifically said the R18 wasn't the only bike to have that engine and they would have other models. Which following that interview date, the R18 Classic, R18B and R18 Transcontinental were released. The reference to a smaller version was after a direct question if they planned a smaller capacity version where he said it could be a natural progression, but he wouldn't comment on future models. I'm not sure I'd take that as a resounding confirmation, especially with no corroborating spy shots etc, while the R18 was known about for 3 years before release and the Classic, B & Transcontinental had spy shots at least a year before.

If we want to consider the Triumph bobber a cruiser, then I'd argue BMW already has something similar in the RNineT. You can remove the rear passenger frame very quickly, leaving a sort of floating rider's seat just like the Bobber. The rake is already similar.

Did anyone else around here used to or still have an R1200C? It was that bike when it came out that got me originally interested in riding. I thought it was the coolest looking thing ever and still do, with the R18 being right up there as well. At 6’4”, I felt totally ridiculous on it, though, with my knees sticking way out to the sides and ended up spending much more time on my R1150GS.

Still waiting to pick up the R18C I bought in December. Hoping to figure out the ergos to accommodate my size and send the GS off to a new home.
I have an R1200C and have been a big fan due to the unusual styling. I'm 5'5", with a 29" inseam. On the R1200C with its 29.1" seat height, my feet aren't totally planted. The R18's seat height is 27.2-28" (depending on model), and it's less top-heavy than the R1200C. I may drop the R18 seat height an inch with a different seat (customized if needed) to get it lower which is at least an option.

It was 60F here in NH today - Spring is right around the corner!

Last edited:
this here's my 2002 R12C, with 2020 R1250GSA, 2021 R18.
the R12C has about 36k miles... no troubles

Attachments

• R1250GSA_R18_R1200C.jpg
    R1250GSA_R18_R1200C.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 39
Yup, the colors are Mandarin Yellow/Graphite Metallic, I think the Pheonix had most all of the chrome options, and BBS 3 piece wheels. I think it was also called the Independent in some markets. They did some great stunts on an R12C in a James Bond Movie, 'tomorrow never dies'. The R12C is also shown in the opening credits of the Austin Powers Movie, Goldmember.

Last edited:
this here's my 2002 R12C, with 2020 R1250GSA, 2021 R18.
the R12C has about 36k miles... no troubles
Beauty. That was the same color I had. My GS is mandarin as well.

How is the chrome holding up on yours? That was my only complaint about the build quality was that all my chrome was pitted and flaked after a few years.

Yup, the colors are Mandarin Yellow/Graphite Metallic, I think the Pheonix had most all of the chrome options, and BBS 3 piece wheels. I think it was also called the Independent in some markets. They did some great stunts on an R12C in a James Bond Movie, 'tomorrow never dies'. The R12C is also shown in the opening credits of the Austin Powers Movie, Goldmember.
It’s amazing how different they could make the R1200C look. The original from Tomorrow never dies with the ivory color, spoked wheels and taller handlebar looked like it could have been a classic, yet switching to the Phoenix colors, cast wheels and shorter handlebars gave the bike a more modern look. It’s a damn shame it didn’t do better in the market, it is still an icon and I was glad I got to ride it when it first came out and see it featured at the Guggenheim exhibit on motorcycles.

Not to spoil the party here, but if anyone has any insight to whether or not an R12, based on the R nineT will be brought to the market, let's hear it...

I support your points, I would suggest the reason the R1200C (which I have BTW) was not a great success is because of its styling, which was controversial at best. Further, the R nineT power plant makes 110 bhp vs the R1200C which makes 61, so I doubt anyone would feel an R12 would be underpowered.

An R12 would surely get my vote!
OilHead, I also had a 1999 R1200C from 2010-2013. This bike polarized a lot by its design. I loved it though but had to sell it because I moved to Asia. This bike brought me be back to riding after a 20 years break. Good memories. In Asia I rode the RnineT classic for 4 years before I traded it for the R18. Two different animals but no regrets so far. The R18 is something very special and so much fun to ride.L1000789.jpg

Last edited:
Back