R18 as only bike?

Hello,

My local BMW dealer is having an R18 demo day next weekend. I plan to attend. I currently own an R1250 RS. It's a great bike, and I use it for commuting, light touring, and weekend rides with friends.

I'm attracted to the aesthetics of the R18, and I'm sure I'll have a better feel for it after next weekend. If I really like the ride, I'd have to trade my RS (I'm on a one-bike diet).

What's the consensus about this bike as a do-it-all ride?

Hello,

My local BMW dealer is having an R18 demo day next weekend. I plan to attend. I currently own an R1250 RS. It's a great bike, and I use it for commuting, light touring, and weekend rides with friends.

I'm attracted to the aesthetics of the R18, and I'm sure I'll have a better feel for it after next weekend. If I really like the ride, I'd have to trade my RS (I'm on a one-bike diet).

It IS a do-it-all ride even if you have to install a windscreen and/or saddlebags. The stock seat isn't great, especially for passengers. But there are options out there for that issue. The suspension is good provided it's been setup for your weight. Most dealerships give no attention to the rear shock, so don't be surprised if the ride quality on the test bike is not great. A few turns of the shock preload screw makes a big difference.

Personally, I'm fortunate to have a full dressed touring machine for the long rides with or without my wife behind me and/or if I need to carry a load. Prior to getting the weekender seat, she would have nothing to do with the R18. But with the better seat, she gives it two thumbs up. It's got almost 1900 milers on it and I purchased mine in the middle of the winter. Every chance I get I'm on my R18!

it really depends. But I couldn’t have it as an only bike. For me it lacks canyon carving abilities and at 75+ mph on the highway it’s a bit buzzy through the bars which makes my hands go numb after awhile. As others have mentioned it would need some type of wind protection for long stints at highway speeds and luggage for carrying things. It needs to also have power available near the bars to run my Phone as I use it for navigation. Would also like to see some type of fuel gauge.

If I could have only one bike I’d have an R1250GS.

The short answer is the R18 is less of do-it-all ride than your R1250 RS. No doubt. If you can only have one bike, that's the one to keep.

The long answer is that you have a great bike for exactly the riding you do at the stage of your life that you're in. That's terrific and you're fortunate. The R18 isn't typically an ONLY bike, it just isn't. It's a third, fourth, or sixth bike. It's usually the newest member of a rider's freakin' stable of bikes. Look around this forum: so and so has four motorcycles, and this guy has 3 (hey, that's me), and over here, this guy has 5 and he'll be getting another soon, etc. And that's just fine because those riders get to choose the bike to fit their mood, or their riding companions, or the weather, or whatever. They're not necessarily commuting in the rain on an 800 pound windshield-less cruiser or trying to fit all their camping gear in the wee leather saddle bags on their 800 pound cruiser, etc. The one-bike owner doesn't get that luxury. When the R18 is an only bike, I've noticed that the one it replaced hasn't been the do-it-all type in the least. No, it was a beautiful and entirely uncomfortable cafe, or a tricked-out R9T, or a Harley that never really fit. The owner just went from one impractical machine to another, which is fine, but doesn't describe your situation.

My opinion Only Big Poodles, since you asked, is that you hold tight, for now, and enjoy your R1250 RS.

I rode 425 miles on mine the second day I had it. The cross country seat was just plain comfy. No sore butt. A lot of those miles were at 80. Its turning 2700 rpm and right in its sweet spot. Turn the throttle and you are gone. The biggest problem was the buffeting which is now fixed with a lip. The saddle bags are 1/2 the size as my R1200R. This makes long distance traveling with the wife impossible. I have a rear rack and backrest on order.

Rear suspension is great. Keep it adjusted.

I am getting better about the pegs dragging. I can go around a rotory near home at 19 mph and never touch. 20 mph and over I can drag the peg all the way around.

With the wife on, I sometimes say crunch in our intercom so she knows its coming.

Yesterday after a tank of gas in 50* f damp weather, she got off and said its comfortable.
We both were cold. Heated grips work great.
David

R18 Classic SE
2012 R1200R
99 GL1500SE
R675/6

Hello,

ANY bike can be your do-it-all ride. The "why" any of us ride and own a bike is as varied as there are motorcycles. In my opinion consensus shouldn't drive your decision...there's not much logical about even riding motorcycles - that's the point. If it is what you want and you can swing the deal you will make the decision work for you until you find another bike that makes you think "I want that bike." Life is short, so is the window we get in life for riding...for some it is only weeks, others it's months, some it's years. Do YOUR thing...because us ne'er do wells will only steer you our way.

ANY bike can be your do-it-all ride. The "why" any of us ride and own a bike is as varied as there are motorcycles. In my opinion consensus shouldn't drive your decision...there's not much logical about even riding motorcycles - that's the point. If it is what you want and you can swing the deal you will make the decision work for you until you find another bike that makes you think "I want that bike." Life is short, so is the window we get in life for riding...for some it is only weeks, others it's months, some it's years. Do YOUR thing...because us ne'er do wells will only steer you our way.
Any bike could be a do-it-all motorcycle
Any shoes could be soccer shoes
Any tool could pound in that nail

For me the Classic is a one bike deal. It's great for short rides, and the windshield, bags and waterproof duffle and rainsuit covers those 500km days. After tweaking the suspension I'm happy with the cornering performance. Still waiting on a cross country seat but not available in Canada yet so using an Airhawk. It does the trick on longer days.

For wind and comfort plus on and off-road purpose buy a Jeep with vinyl roof. I’m not kidding. The bike is ALWAYS and issue, ALWAYS. Rain, back pain, leg pain, cold, the height of the seat, where to park (take on and off the saddlebags), park in reverse because of the weight. I’m trying to say, there’s is not an all purpose bike. BTW, the R18 is amazing for the road, but never think to use it on for streets during summer (30o C or more). With all that said, I love my bike.

For me the Classic is a one bike deal. It's great for short rides, and the windshield, bags and waterproof duffle and rainsuit covers those 500km days. After tweaking the suspension I'm happy with the cornering performance. Still waiting on a cross country seat but not available in Canada yet so using an Airhawk. It does the trick on longer days.
500km is a long day ??? My ride home from the dealer was longer than that.

Long enough for me. Guess I'm just not as tough/smart/rich as some.
Length of a ride is relative.
A long ride for me 10 years ago was 1500 miles(2400km) in less than 24 hours, today 500 miles(800km) in 24 hours is a long ride.
Tomorrow just riding the bike to the VA for dialysis might be a struggle.

I own 5 bikes, 2 of wMW's, 2012 GSA and 2021 R18.
I have always said "if I had to choose and only own 1 motorcycle for the rest of my life", my answer for several years has been BMW R1200 GSA.

Back