R18 B/TC and the TFT

Rambler358

I’m hoping to pick up my TC in the next couple weeks. In the meantime I wanted to ask those with the TFT if the maps and navigation is working correctly, along with media. I’m particularly interested in how iPhones are working with the system. Thanks!

I picked up my new TC on Thursday after trading in my R18 classic.

In general all the functions are working well using my iPhone 13 after 150 miles.

My only issue is that TC does not come as standard with the very short mobile charging cable.

Not sure if anyone has purchased this cable and has a BMW part number?

Also it seems like you have to pair your iPhone every time you ride, still in the process of investigating why this happens.

Its early days but the TC is a huge step up compared to the R18 classic and has all the creature comforts of my previous HD Ultra Ltd.

You should have to pair your phone once and that’s it. Did you check your phone’s Bluetooth settings to see if the bike is still registered there, and also the bike’s setting to see if your phone is in there? When you bring the bike in for its 600 mile service, make sure to ask them about checking for new firmware updates while there.

Have you created or imported any routes into the Connected app to see how navigation goes?

I bought the Iphone charging cable, it was $64. I've had my R18TC for a month and 1300 miles. So far no issues with the phone and TFT interface other than the slow connection and startup of the system. After the phone pairs to the bike I do have to start map mode in the phone app if I want the map to display on the TFT screen.

I picked up my TC FE yesterday. The dealer updated the bike’s software before I left with it. The pic shows the latest firmware version that was available as of yesterday. From reading the BMW R1250RT forums, this is also the latest firmware on the 21+ year RTs. Another big update is supposed to be coming late Nov/early Dec, and is supposed to further improve the connectivity between the phone and TFT.

C7EC4F9B-11C7-461C-9D22-46D0E80D241C.jpeg

I bought the Iphone charging cable, it was $64. I've had my R18TC for a month and 1300 miles. So far no issues with the phone and TFT interface other than the slow connection and startup of the system. After the phone pairs to the bike I do have to start map mode in the phone app if I want the map to display on the TFT screen.
Established that my phone indeed pairs automatically but need to start the map mode every time. It’s seems like no in stock iPhone charging cable available in UK, can be ordered from Germany.

It’s interesting that the WiFi doesn’t automatically connect, I manually have to tap join on my iPhone every time to connect it to the bike’s WiFi.
My dealer was able to order the bike’s iPhone charging cable for me and had it in 3 days, and yikes - that is a $64 item. My dealer gave me 15% off so it didn’t hurt too bad. The other items I ordered for the bike are on back-order, meaning it has to ship from the motherland, and could take a while.

It’s interesting that the WiFi doesn’t automatically connect, I manually have to tap join on my iPhone every time to connect it to the bike’s WiFi.
My dealer was able to order the bike’s iPhone charging cable for me and had it in 3 days, and yikes - that is a $64 item...

I picked up my Bagger this past Sunday, and I also have to manually join the bike's WiFi on my iPhone, even though I have it set to auto-join.

I have tried using Apple Music to stream to the bike, and I am having an issue where it stops playing after every song. I'm following a thread on the Luxury Touring RT forum where users are discussing the same issue. Are you having the same issue, as well?

I ordered a $15 cable from Amazon. I figured that BMW wasn't manufacturing their own cables, so something generic should work. I'll follow up when the cable arrives.

I picked up my Bagger this past Sunday, and I also have to manually join the bike's WiFi on my iPhone, even though I have it set to auto-join.
I think this issue may be due to me having my iPhone Connected to my home WiFi when starting net the bike up. But on the road it seems intermittent on if it automatically connects or not.

I have tried using Apple Music to stream to the bike, and I am having an issue where it stops playing after every song. I'm following a thread on the Luxury Touring RT forum where users are discussing the same issue. Are you having the same issue, as well?
Yes, I’m having the same issue with Apple Music.

I think this issue may be due to me having my iPhone Connected to my home WiFi when starting net the bike up. But on the road it seems intermittent on if it automatically connects or not.
That makes sense, and thanks for the reponse. I haven’t messed with settings away from home. It took me a second to even realize that the bike was creating its own network/WiFi signal.

That makes sense, and thanks for the reponse. I haven’t messed with settings away from home. It took me a second to even realize that the bike was creating its own network/WiFi signal.
What version is your bike’s software? I just tried playing some music with the bike in the garage, and it was working fine. I selected a playlist I created in Apple Music and it continued to the next song after playing the first.

I have the same issue with connection every time I ride as stated in a previous post. I did the same and bought a cheap iPhone charging cable on eBay. I can confirm that BMW indeed make Three very charging short cables for the iPhone 13 My dealer has ordered one from Germany.
See details attached.

Attachments

• connector lead.pdf
    563.4 KB · Views: 52
Not having a TC, I can say that my experience with connectivity on my other bikes over the years is wanting at best. I have my NAV's set to "Info" mode and I use an iPhone set to Waze, about as simple as it can get. I don't bother with any of the "Connectivity" features that BM offers any more --they just never worked very well. That said, I am hopeful that some day it will be sorted and I am willing to give it a try again.

Quick question that kind of falls into the phone connectivity, I ordered the B but was wondering, I don't see a USB port in the phone holder on the gas tank? BOQ ordered a cable, which cable did you order?

Not having a TC, I can say that my experience with connectivity on my other bikes over the years is wanting at best.
Yeah, but tech changes on a weekly basis! With the latest TFT firmware BMW is close to getting it right. BMW has too much invested in their new TFTs not to get it working properly. All the latest BMW touring/cruiser bikes are getting this new 10” TFT, and I’m sure it’ll eventually move to their GS bikes.

I have my NAV's set to "Info" mode and I use an iPhone set to Waze, about as simple as it can get. I don't bother with any of the "Connectivity" features that BM offers any more --they just never worked very well. That said, I am hopeful that some day it will be sorted and I am willing to give it a try again.
Yes, that’s definitely the simple route. But if you need real multi-stop, multi-day planning capability on specific roads then having a real GPS is a must. I plan day and weekend rides for my riding club, and Waze and the like just won’t cut it.

Quick question that kind of falls into the phone connectivity, I ordered the B but was wondering, I don't see a USB port in the phone holder on the gas tank? BOQ ordered a cable, which cable did you order?
The USB-C port is located on the left side of the phone holder area, right in the middle. The kind of cable you need depends on your phone - the 3 cables BMW sells are USB-C, Micro-USB and Lightening cables. I bought the Lightening cable for my iPhone.

Yeah, but tech changes on a weekly basis! With the latest TFT firmware BMW is close to getting it right. BMW has too much invested in their new TFTs not to get it working properly. All the latest BMW touring/cruiser bikes are getting this new 10” TFT, and I’m sure it’ll eventually move to their GS bikes.

Yes, that’s definitely the simple route. But if you need real multi-stop, multi-day planning capability on specific roads then having a real GPS is a must. I plan day and weekend rides for my riding club, and Waze and the like just won’t cut it.
I've been running BM TFT's for several years now on GS, etc. Like I said, I hope they get it sorted some day. It certainly is the future!

I mentioned having my NAV's set to "Info" mode --it is but a bump with the Wonder Wheel and I am in full NAV mode with Basecamp'd routes or not. I definitely agree that for planning routes, rides, or general trips ... a NAV is certainly beneficial. With Waze in the equation, I feel that I have the best of both relatively current travel assistants. No muss, no fuss.

What version is your bike’s software? I just tried playing some music with the bike in the garage, and it was working fine. I selected a playlist I created in Apple Music and it continued to the next song after playing the first.
Software version: 011_007_035
iOS: 15.1

This is interesting. Playlists work for me as well, one track leads to the next. I tested playing an album, and it went back to pausing after the first track.

I just tried playing an album from Apple Music. The first song completed and went on to the next. I’m also now on iOS 15.1, so it could be due to my bike having the more current software.

Back