R18 B & Transcontinental TFT firmware update?

Rambler358

Anyone know if these bikes have had any TFT firmware updates since they were released? I test rode a R18 TC and the TFT was flakey and wouldn't keep the radio connected.

Anyone know if these bikes have had any TFT firmware updates since they were released? I test rode a R18 TC and the TFT was flakey and wouldn't keep the radio connected.
Now that you mention it, I do not recall seeing an antenna on the bike?? I know the XM antenna is on the dash, but didn’t see a regular radio antenna. On the regular stations, I did not lose the signal, but on the HD radio stations, I did lose it a few times

It was more than a radio issue though, the main problem was that the TFT seemed like it reset itself when selecting radio options, and then would lose connection to the phone.

antenna is built in...
That’s correct. The issue is connectivity between the TFT and the phone, and that’s what the new RT’s TFT firmware updates have been for. And since this TFT is basically the same as the new RT’s TFT, the same firmware updates should apply.

Looks like my bike does not have the current firmware. Besides the connectivity issue, does this fix anything else? At initial start up, I have to go to the menu system and turn radio on, select input, and readjust eq. It seems like the bike does not remember these things when I turn off the bike. Just me?

Looks like my bike does not have the current firmware. Besides the connectivity issue, does this fix anything else? At initial start up, I have to go to the menu system and turn radio on, select input, and readjust eq. It seems like the bike does not remember these things when I turn off the bike. Just me?
What version do you currently have? The current version 012.008.040 has an issue with the Connected app sometimes not recognizing the bike model, displaying “BMW Motorrad” instead of “R18 Transcontinental”. This is an issue when attempting to merge rides, but can’t due to different bike names. Otherwise everything else is working fine with my iPhone 11 Pro Max.

What version do you currently have? The current version 012.008.040 has an issue with the Connected app sometimes not recognizing the bike model, displaying “BMW Motorrad” instead of “R18 Transcontinental”. This is an issue when attempting to merge rides, but can’t due to different bike names. Otherwise everything else is working fine with my iPhone 11 Pro Max.
011_007_035

If you’re not experiencing issues, I’d wait until the next available update as that version was pretty stable for me.
Thanks Rambler! My only issues are that the radio source type does not save, the eq settings are flatlined, and the radio is off. This happens on start up after the bike has been off for a bit. Perhaps it is German Engineering....

Thanks Rambler! My only issues are that the radio source type does not save, the eq settings are flatlined, and the radio is off. This happens on start up after the bike has been off for a bit. Perhaps it is German Engineering....
A software update may help.
Do you keep the bike on a trickle charger when not riding it? I always do - helps maintain battery life and eliminates the parasitic electrical drain on the bike, which may cause bike settings to reset.

I have the same issues with the EQ being flat and the radio source defaulting to FM, even when I leave it at favorites. The good news is whatever was causing the Media player to stop after every song has been fixed. So the fix must have come through the Connected app, since I'm still on 012.007.030.

I was wondering if either of you have a setting for Balance and Fade (Fader). Also, when I hook up earbuds, the volume doesn't work. It's at 100% or nothing, is this the same for you?

I have the same issues with the EQ being flat and the radio source defaulting to FM, even when I leave it at favorites. The good news is whatever was causing the Media player to stop after every song has been fixed. So the fix must have come through the Connected app, since I'm still on 012.007.030.

I was wondering if either of you have a setting for Balance and Fade (Fader). Also, when I hook up earbuds, the volume doesn't work. It's at 100% or nothing, is this the same for you?
I don’t use the EQ settings, and I have the audio profile set to Studio. But again, that doesn’t apply to headset audio which I use the most.

Wonder wheel volume control only works with BMW headsets. Although Sena just came out with a firmware update for their 50S and 50R models that now also allow volume control with the wheel. Hopefully they’ll add this update to their other headsets.

I don’t use the EQ settings, and I have the audio profile set to Studio. But again, that doesn’t apply to headset audio which I use the most.

Wonder wheel volume control only works with BMW headsets. Although Sena just came out with a firmware update for their 50S and 50R models that now also allow volume control with the wheel. Hopefully they’ll add this update to their other headsets.
I have been leaving mine on Studio as well. It is tuned for good sound while riding. I got tired of scrolling to the eq after each start up. Lately my radio has defaulted to XM radio vs, favorites. And so it goes....

I have been leaving mine on Studio as well. It is tuned for good sound while riding. I got tired of scrolling to the eq after each start up. Lately my radio has defaulted to XM radio vs, favorites. And so it goes....
Make sure you report these issues via the BMW Connected app.

My firmware was updated last week on R18TC. Everything connects stable and fine, EXCEPT THE WIFI MAPS. I find it wonky, unreliable, and unusable. It also is a safety hazard that requires great self discipline to not be distracted by its failings while rolling! Everything is fine with the directions aspect, but BMW engineers who built the mapping module were riding simulators and trading pokemon cards between smoke breaks in Berlin. I have to admit feeling embarrassed about being enamored with all BMW's marketing materials showing the moving maps on the tft. Sorry, but that ain't reality, and I was duped! Heck, when you put your phone into map mode it blocks all the features outside of connect management. Like, how can I play my books on tape app so I can grow my brain on long stretches of interstate. Please, if you know why I'm wrong on this, please save me and explain. I want the maps on the screen, and I want them to stay there while my phone is available for other stuff (books on tape app, weather radar, etc).

I'm tech oriented, but there is a lot I don't understand. Like, can I have a phone just for wifi maps, and a phone just for bluetooth media connection? I tried that, but it seemed like one phone had to be connected by both bluetooth and wifi? Anyway, I have figured work arounds so I get what I want, except the maps on the tft is just a nogo. The tech is nice to support my wondering mind between rides, but I hate to think I was fleeced on the tft maps feature. Berlin built bust!

Some big brained berlin tech wizard please reply to this with my fix!

Also, two other thoughts. First, the phone in the tank compartment is NOT CHARGING. I'm unsure what is wrong. And, the Connect App does NOT REQUIRE an account to use. The connect account is to store your ride information etc to be shared.

Last edited:
I have found the Maps feature to be fairly stable, I do make sure to start the app on my phone and turn the helmet Bluetooth before starting the motorcycle. My issue is that with Map mode enabled I am no longer able to skip songs in the media player. I am using Sportify app on a pixel 5. It did work one time when I did not have map mode enabled but I have not been able to reproduce. Any ideas on how to be able to skip songs in the media player?

Back