R18 Jekill & Hyde Install and Thoughts

I just finished my weekend project of installing the Jekill & Hyde exhaust on my R18 and since I could only find limited threads, I am posting my experience. During the 7 months of owning the bike, I have surprisingly loved almost every aspect of it, but for the exhaust. Cool looking bike with a BMW sewing machine exhaust. The J&H is what should have come with the bike from the factory in my opinion. The wide open exhaust setting is deep and throaty but with a push of a button, you can silence it and sneak into the garage without waking the neighbors. Best of all, everything is hidden and looks very OEM.

Total time from order to deliver was 14 days. Impressive given each exhaust is custom fabricated and shipped from the Netherlands. The communication, packaging, and craftsmanship is A+. Supplied directions are an A-, but hopefully the notes below will assist other in the couple of spots I needed help. Total install time took about five hours. If I had to do it all over again, I think I could cut that in half. I really wish I owned a bike table to lift the bike up and work in a comfortable position. That would have made a world of difference. Having all the necessary tools ahead of time would also have saved many trips to the basement. So let's start there.

Tools
Torx sockets in 25,30,40,45,50
10mm & 13mm socket
3mm & 5 mm allen wrench
Breaker bar (to remove the four OEM bolts that hold the OEM exhaust support in place. There have Loctite on them from the factory.
Rubber mallet (used to pound off the OEM exhaust)
Torque wrench
Blanket to lay/sit on the floor unless you have a bike table.

What I learned
- Remove the factory heat shields secure by two torx bolts. Each OEM exhaust pipe is held on by a single C clamp, but it doesn't slide off. You need to pound it off and in order to do that you need to remove the heat shield.
- Installing the servo motors threw me and I emailed Steeve at J&H on a Saturday for help. He called me within minutes. To me the directions were not clear on how to attached the servos to the bike. Steeve sent me a pic of the bolt to remove and explained that once the bolt is removed, you need to pull down on the plastic and slip the servo tab between the engine and the plastic then re-insert the bolt you just removed. Below is a picture of the bolt you need to remove. Makes sense now.
- Removing the four OEM T50 bolts that secure the exhaust support is a pain, especially on the LH side because the bolts are under the big, they are big, and Loctited in. There isn't much room to play with the shifter. I could see the probability of stripping one of these bolts as moderate. The RH side is easier because the bike is leaning in the opposite direction and there is no shifter. Still, this was the biggest pain of the project.
- The wiring was a breeze and took about 30 minutes. The button on the handlebar is easy to pop on and I snaked the wire through the existing OEM hole in the handlebar so it is concealed. Alternatively, you could zip tie it to the outside.

I could only start it up in the garage as it is 15 degrees out, but it makes me smile. Below are a couple pics of the process and to show where I ran into questions. I hope this is of some value to the next install.

Box1.jpgBox2.jpgServo 1.jpgServo 3.jpgTools.jpgWiring 1.jpgServo Install.jpgFinished.jpg

Attachments

• Servo 2.jpg
    Servo 2.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 77
Sounds great in Mr Hyde mode! I own an R18 Transcontinental and checking the J&H web site I saw that they have a version that works with the B and TC R 18 models. Considering that I can't find any alternative here in Europe (Freedom Performance only sells in the US) I think I'll go the Jekill and Hyde way (installed by a dealer...).

I just finished my weekend project of installing the Jekill & Hyde exhaust on my R18 and since I could only find limited threads, I am posting my experience. During the 7 months of owning the bike, I have surprisingly loved almost every aspect of it, but for the exhaust. Cool looking bike with a BMW sewing machine exhaust. The J&H is what should have come with the bike from the factory in my opinion. The wide open exhaust setting is deep and throaty but with a push of a button, you can silence it and sneak into the garage without waking the neighbors. Best of all, everything is hidden and looks very OEM.

Total time from order to deliver was 14 days. Impressive given each exhaust is custom fabricated and shipped from the Netherlands. The communication, packaging, and craftsmanship is A+. Supplied directions are an A-, but hopefully the notes below will assist other in the couple of spots I needed help. Total install time took about five hours. If I had to do it all over again, I think I could cut that in half. I really wish I owned a bike table to lift the bike up and work in a comfortable position. That would have made a world of difference. Having all the necessary tools ahead of time would also have saved many trips to the basement. So let's start there.

Tools
10mm & 13mm socket
3mm & 5 mm allen wrench
Breaker bar (to remove the four OEM bolts that hold the OEM exhaust support in place. There have Loctite on them from the factory.
Torque wrench

What I learned
- Remove the factory heat shields secure by two torx bolts. Each OEM exhaust pipe is held on by a single C clamp, but it doesn't slide off. You need to pound it off and in order to do that you need to remove the heat shield.
- Installing the servo motors threw me and I emailed Steeve at J&H on a Saturday for help. He called me within minutes. To me the directions were not clear on how to attached the servos to the bike. Steeve sent me a pic of the bolt to remove and explained that once the bolt is removed, you need to pull down on the plastic and slip the servo tab between the engine and the plastic then re-insert the bolt you just removed. Below is a picture of the bolt you need to remove. Makes sense now.
- Removing the four OEM T50 bolts that secure the exhaust support is a pain, especially on the LH side because the bolts are under the big, they are big, and Loctited in. There isn't much room to play with the shifter. I could see the probability of stripping one of these bolts as moderate. The RH side is easier because the bike is leaning in the opposite direction and there is no shifter. Still, this was the biggest pain of the project.
- The wiring was a breeze and took about 30 minutes. The button on the handlebar is easy to pop on and I snaked the wire through the existing OEM hole in the handlebar so it is concealed. Alternatively, you could zip tie it to the outside.

I could only start it up in the garage as it is 15 degrees out, but it makes me smile. Below are a couple pics of the process and to show where I ran into questions. I hope this is of some value to the next install.

View attachment 4387View attachment 4388View attachment 4389View attachment 4391View attachment 4392View attachment 4393View attachment 4394View attachment 4395
Thanks for the info. This is the exhaust I would choose if I could justify the cost. A great presentation, thanks

Tools
10mm & 13mm socket
3mm & 5 mm allen wrench
Torque wrench

What I learned

View attachment 4387View attachment 4388View attachment 4389View attachment 4391View attachment 4392View attachment 4393View attachment 4394View attachment 4395
Hopefully you had some time on the road, getting out and riding with the new exhaust; have you noticed any issues with fuel economy, lose of HP or any other issues with not going 100% OEM (Service Light, etc..)? They look great; I like the idea of going louder once out of the garage or perhaps the neighborhood. I noticed that NYC is starting to crack down on the decibel levels from exhaust systems.

Thanks for the write up - these are next on my list (next time I have $3,400 laying around..).

Love the name ‘Jekyll & Hyde’. Unfortunately can’t get over the cost and so probably not for me.
This weekend alone I have had several compliments on the original exhaust note of my Classic (plus BT tune & filter). The bike remains compliant but with an engine note that pleases onlookers as well as the actual rider.
If money no object I would probably still fit the J&H. Hope you enjoy. 😊

Hopefully you had some time on the road, getting out and riding with the new exhaust; have you noticed any issues with fuel economy, lose of HP or any other issues with not going 100% OEM (Service Light, etc..)? They look great; I like the idea of going louder once out of the garage or perhaps the neighborhood. I noticed that NYC is starting to crack down on the decibel levels from exhaust systems.

Thanks for the write up - these are next on my list (next time I have $3,400 laying around..).
Absolutely no issues. I’ve loved every minute with the new exhaust. I think the price you mentioned is $CAD. Not sure where you are located, but less in $USD

I find the remarks about how awesome it sounds, amusing. For 2.5k I would expect a fuller growl, a deeper/louder tone, something that would stand out compared to the stock pipes.
Which unfortunately is not the case. To my ears anyway. It is almost impossible for a boxer engine to compete with a v-twin in terms of sound, no matter the pipes of choice.
I mean that sound that gives you an instant erection. I'm sure some of you know what I'm talking about.

I find the remarks about how awesome it sounds, amusing. For 2.5k I would expect a fuller growl, a deeper/louder tone, something that would stand out compared to the stock pipes.
Which unfortunately is not the case. To my ears anyway. It is almost impossible for a boxer engine to compete with a v-twin in terms of sound, no matter the pipes of choice.
I mean that sound that gives you an instant erection. I'm sure some of you know what I'm talking about.
How do you compare it to 4.5' Freedom Performance Exhaust?

$2.5k sounds a lot better than $3.4k; I'll have to check the Wunderlich site that I'm on. Maybe the R18 luggage cases protection bars are also mis-priced ($700+)?

These upgrades always get me in trouble with Mrs. Semone...

Both the BMW and J&H installation documentation shows only the silencers being replaced. I noticed that the R18 B Freedom exhaust upgrade requires an additional bracket, so that the hard cases don't get heat damage; I'm guessing the brackets raise the cases up a bit, creating more space between the silencer and the bottom of the cases?

I sent an email to J&H, their exhaust upgrade also requires a bracket associated with the B and TC models due to the cases. The folks at J&H are looking into whether or not the installation of the Wunderlich protection bars for the cases pose an issue when also upgrading to their exhaust system.

More to follow...

Back