R18/R18 Classic model year differences since 2021

Not really. The only thing that I can think of is that the earliest models of the R18 base model did not come with cruise control.

From the September 2021 issue of BMW MOA magazine - 2022 Updates for Models
1664822862371.png

From the September 2022 issue of BMW MOA magazine - 2023 Updates for Models
1664822995293.png

Btw, if you aren't a member of BMW MOA, I would highly recommend it.
It pays for itself in just continuing education/training alone.

They have a scholarship fund for training for members which provides $250.
Non members can also get $100 for training as well.

The OBD connector is under the right side cover on my 2021 Classic while the connector is on the left side on the later 2021/22 bikes.

Also, i
Not really. The only thing that I can think of is that the earliest models of the R18 base model did not come with cruise control.

From the September 2021 issue of BMW MOA magazine - 2022 Updates for Models
View attachment 7317

From the September 2022 issue of BMW MOA magazine - 2023 Updates for Models
View attachment 7318

Btw, if you aren't a member of BMW MOA, I would highly recommend it.
It pays for itself in just continuing education/training alone.

They have a scholarship fund for training for members which provides $250.
Non members can also get $100 for training as well.
Also, when purchasing you get $500 off a new bmw bike though thinking you might need to be an bmwmoa member for a year before that benefit kicks in.
Darn, no tire pressure monitoring on my 2021 r18fe :(
Last, the early 2021 R18s not only did not come with cruise control, the wiring on them did not allow you to add it after the fact.

My dealer had only one R18FE with cruise left and I was able to change my order before it was too late from one without to one with it. Guy on the forum tipped me fyi to advise they were still out there. Though I had asked my dealer with he had any 11/21 builds or later (thinking that was the date) I failed to ask at that time if he had any FE with cruise thusI lucked out getting it changed to one with it when I called in a week or so later To inquire.

Cost me another $600 but happy I got it on the bike I figure. For get when BMW changed the wiring on the base R18 to add it to be added…maybe November builds of 2021 though even then it is a lot of $$$ to add it after the fact if even with wiring there to allow it to be.

Last edited:
Most all will say get the Classic since it is more bang for the buck. Looking at my R18FE though I am happy with the profile look. Just need to get home to ride it. Weather is too nice in Helen GA for me to leave today…maybe Wednesday will head back to FL

Are there any meaningful technical differences between 2021/22/23 model years for R18 or R18 Classic?

Thanks,
Jay
I had seen some mention that the bags or bag support bars changed, but haven't been able to see that validated in any of the microfiche. For example, Bob's BMW just shows 2021+ for the R18 Classic.

Back