R18 Support "Dock"

theMucker

Premium Member
I know that some of you already have various "chocks" to support your motorcycles UPRIGHT while working on them or for transportation purposes. I have a Wheel Dock that I use to hold my Indian Roadmaster upright when it's on the table lift, while transporting it on or in a trailer or while it's just parked on the floor of the garage. There are lots of "chocks" that will do a good job, but the Wheel Dock is the best because you can just push or ride onto it, step on a lever, and then simply get off of the bike. It will hold the machine straight up and VERY securely. I ONLY use added straps during motorized transportation or if the table lift seems less than secure (almost NEVER). When you want to remove the bike from the Dock, you step on another lever and just push (or ride) the bike backwards. Most chocks have a mechanism that requires that the front wheel goes back AND OVER A HUMP to release the bike. The Wheel Dock does not have that GRUNT & PULL-BACK requirement. The machine just moves backward without that HARD TUG over a locking mechanism.
I am in communication with Wheel Dock to have a new model made that fits the R18's specific needs. The 4-3/4" width of the front wheel/tire is a primary characteristic that requires a new model of Wheel Dock to be produced. If production goes as planned, they expect the first one to be completed by Feb. 25. I'll let you know how it goes from there. I'm excited to be able to work on my R18 while it's fully upright, whether it's on the table lift or the shop floor. But with my almost 66 year old back, I'm focused on using the lift!
If you are interested in getting a Wheel Dock for yourself, let them know that you're watching the process from www.R18Forums.com .
<[email protected]>

Last edited:
Questions
1) 2/25= February 25th, right? Not February, 2025.
2) Any idea if the mechanism which holds the wheel will compatible with the DK front fender?

comments
1) looks really nice
2] thanks for looking into this

Questions
1) 2/25= February 25th, right? Not February, 2025.
2) Any idea if the mechanism which holds the wheel will compatible with the DK front fender?

comments
1) looks really nice
2] thanks for looking into this
Yep. It's Feb 25. And the back part that holds the bike in the Wheel Dock is so low that it shouldn't be an issue at all. I already have a Wheel Dock that I use for my Indian Roadmaster. The Roadmaster fender goes quite low and it's not a problem

wheel dock_indian.jpg

I modified my WheelDock by bolting two strips of ¼" oak to the diagonal rail of the dock. Works like a charm and since I sold my Indian This was a cheap solution.

Yes, Sir! A little ingenuity goes a long way. I also made a variety of different thickness pieces to add to my current Wheel Dock, so it can be used on a lot of different width wheels. The Roadmaster has such a "fat" front tire that it makes for a Dock that can be used on lots of other bikes that have thinner wheels just by adding the fillers. But, in my case, I'm keeping the Indian and I want another Wheel Dock that works for the BMW. Only one can be used on the table lift at a time of course, but at least I can support both machines fully upright all of the time.

Case in point: 2 days ago the Roadmaster was on the lift, but I was working on the screen for the BMW oil cooler. It was a pain in the back kneeling down to access the left side of the R18. Even while working on the floor, having the bike upright would be a lot easier on my 65 year old back. Also, even while either bike is just parked in the shop, they take up less space when they're upright and my shop can get pretty crowded already.

I know that some of you already have various "chocks" to support your motorcycles UPRIGHT while working on them or for transportation purposes. I have a Wheel Dock that I use to hold my Indian Roadmaster upright when it's on the table lift, while transporting it on or in a trailer or while it's just parked on the floor of the garage. There are lots of "chocks" that will do a good job, but the Wheel Dock is the best because you can just push or ride onto it, step on a lever, and then simply get off of the bike. It will hold the machine straight up and VERY securely. I ONLY use added straps during motorized transportation or if the table lift seems less than secure (almost NEVER). When you want to remove the bike from the Dock, you step on another lever and just push (or ride) the bike backwards. Most chocks have a mechanism that requires that the front wheel goes back AND OVER A HUMP to release the bike. The Wheel Dock does not have that GRUNT & PULL-BACK requirement. The machine just moves backward without that HARD TUG over a locking mechanism.
I am in communication with Wheel Dock to have a new model made that fits the R18's specific needs. The 4-3/4" width of the front wheel/tire is a primary characteristic that requires a new model of Wheel Dock to be produced. If production goes as planned, they expect the first one to be completed by 2/25. I'll let you know how it goes from there. I'm excited to be able to work on my R18 while it's fully upright, whether it's on the table lift or the shop floor. But with my almost 66 year old back, I'm focused on using the lift!
If you are interested in getting a Wheel Dock for yourself, let them know that you're watching the process from www.R18Forums.com .
<[email protected]>
Having two Wheeldocks (the "sportbike" stand and one for the HD FXDR) and a new R18 that fit neither, I ordered the 3-piece spacer kit. The smaller two of the three spacers resulted in a perfect fit for the R18.

I've had good experience with Condor. It has fit a HD Deuce with a skinny front tire, Indian Chief, Triumph Speedmaster and now the R18.
View attachment 648
Condor makes great chocks. I've used two side by side in my trailer for years. Fully adjustable and indestructible (so far!!). I've had great service from my Wheeldocks as well. Personally I prefer the Condors for hauling and the Wheeldocks for service work.

The Wheel Dock is HERE! I'm amazed at how fast I got it. And it's just a matter of taking it out of the box, placing it on the floor, riding the R18 onto it and stepping on the left side lever.

View attachment 652View attachment 653View attachment 654
just curious what keeps it from sliding around on the floor when you pull into it or when backing it out? Or do you have it bolted to the floor. Wouldn’t a front fort stand work just as well? A fork stand would cost around $160.00 plus shipping, how does that compare to the cost of the wheel Dock

just curious what keeps it from sliding around on the floor when you pull into it or when backing it out? Or do you have it bolted to the floor. Wouldn’t a front fort stand work just as well? A fork stand would cost around $160.00 plus shipping, how does that compare to the cost of the wheel Dock
Unlike most front wheel chocks, the front wheel doesn't have to go over a "hump" to drop into the chock or be removed from it. [Granted, the R18's electric reverse makes extraction easy with ANY brand of chock] The Wheel Dock is FLAT along the bottom, so the bike won't push it away as it rolls onto it. If the Wheel Dock isn't fixed in place and you're moving too fast it will tend to move some as the tire hits the vertical stop. I made a simple "quick release" setup on my table lift that holds the Wheel Dock in place, but on the floor, I just put it wherever I want it and ride on slowly. Total w/free shipping $260.

Unlike most front wheel chocks, the front wheel doesn't have to go over a "hump" to drop into the chock or be removed from it. [Granted, the R18's electric reverse makes extraction easy with ANY brand of chock] The Wheel Dock is FLAT along the bottom, so the bike won't push it away as it rolls onto it. If the Wheel Dock isn't fixed in place and you're moving too fast it will tend to move some as the tire hits the vertical stop. I made a simple "quick release" setup on my table lift that holds the Wheel Dock in place, but on the floor, I just put it wherever I want it and ride on slowly. Total w/free shipping $260.
Thank you, I appreciate the insight

Yesterday I put the new Wheel Dock on the table lift and rode the R18 onto it. MUCH nicer for doing service work or even simply cleaning it up (which it needs).
I also did a close-up check on the side stand and was pleased to see that it IS one that locks in the extended position when the bike is resting on it. Until now I thought that only HD had locking sidestands. Cool.
20210228_165853 R18 on lift.jpg

20210228_165907 R18 on lift.jpg

Last edited:
Which specific Wheeldock model did you buy?
  • Chock Size:
    Model 3 Wheel Chock
  • Make Field:
    BMW
  • Model Field:
    K1600
  • Year Field:
The above info is from the online invoice that they sent me. When in doubt, tell 'em that the front tire/wheel width on the R18 is 4-3/4" (4.75") wide.

Received my Wheel Chock from Wheel Dock this morning after being shipped Monday (two days from OK to GA), for my R 18 Classic. Model W-525 and it fits and works perfectly on my garage floor.

I just ordered one. After several emails with measurements and such, I was told to order a 2012 BMW K1600 model 3 chock. I was then told that I would need a 3L chock (I assume because of my DK front fender being lower to the ground than stock) and that that would be changed when the order was processed. I bought it and emailed the order number back so there wouldn't be any confusion. Looks like a quality product.

/above applies to R18 First Edition
//Classic differs in both wheel diameter and tire width
///I know, we all know that...

Last edited:
Received my Wheel Chock from Wheel Dock this morning after being shipped Monday (two days from OK to GA), for my R 18 Classic. Model W-525 and it fits and works perfectly on my garage floor.
Hi Submariner,

I'm getting an R18 Classic in a few days. I emailed Wheel Dock about the model of Wheel Dock to use. They said they didn't have the width of the wheel on file for the Classic and they said they weren't sure which chock I should use which seemed surprising since people here are using it.

I wanted to ask you if your front wheel on your R18 Classic and the fender were stock or if you've done any modifications? If I search by model on their website they only show R18, not R18 Classic, which returns Model 3L for the Wheel Chock Part Number, not W-525 as you wrote above. Please let me know.

Thanks,

Tom

Back