R18 Transcontinental or K1600 Grand America?

Billt1NH

Site Supporter
Harley rider for my entire life ( 64) currently have two, 2018 CVO Limited and 2018 Road King Special very hopped up. I fell in love with the look and ride of the R18 and ordered one ( Transcontinental) thinking to replace the CVO Limited.
Now there is talk of updated dashboard to the 2022 K1600B ( if released) I'm wondering for long distance touring wouldn't a Grand America be better? I'm keeping the Road King for local screwing around riding. Any help ? I've owned over a dozen new BMW automobiles so design and build quality are no question in my mind for either bike.

Just my opinion, the K1600 would be hands-down the better choice for long distance touring. Although I love my classic, I'm partial to the K1600 for real road trips. Admittedly, I only went for a short test ride of the transcontinental, it may just be my bias....

Harley rider for my entire life ( 64) currently have two, 2018 CVO Limited and 2018 Road King Special very hopped up. I fell in love with the look and ride of the R18 and ordered one ( Transcontinental) thinking to replace the CVO Limited.
Now there is talk of updated dashboard to the 2022 K1600B ( if released) I'm wondering for long distance touring wouldn't a Grand America be better? I'm keeping the Road King for local screwing around riding. Any help ? I've owned over a dozen new BMW automobiles so design and build quality are no question in my mind for either bike.
I have owned many motorcycles in my life 72yrs, including 4 Harleys(over 300,000 miles on Harleys), 2 Ducatis, 4 Hondas(one 15,000 miles in Brazil>, 2 Triumphs, and some misc dirt bikes, currently have in my possession 1 R1200RT(75,000 miles) 1 K1600B(30,000+ miles) and 1 R18FE(2,000 miles). I bought the R18 for its retro look and to turn into a bobber i.e. Lee Mrvin style.
Multiple IBA rides including 4 BBG, 3,000 miles in 2 days, 5,000 miles in 5 days, in short I have done my homework.
If you are looking for a true distance traveling machine, hands down the K1600B leaves them all in the rear view mirror.
If you are only going to have one the K1600B is the ONE.
Now if you want something to tool around on weekends, add the R18.
Devils tower and Calderwood overlook.

Devils Tower copy.jpgDragon B.jpg

My Honda at Pedra Azul, Espirito Santo, Brasil
IMG_2167.jpg

New Years Day biker party at Ponta da Fruta, Espirito Santo, Brasil.

IMG_2315.JPG

Last edited:
I have owned many motorcycles in my life 72yrs, including 4 Harleys(over 300,000 miles on Harleys), 2 Ducatis, 4 Hondas(one 15,000 miles in Brazil>, 2 Triumphs, and some misc dirt bikes, currently have in my possession 1 R1200RT(75,000 miles) 1 K1600B(30,000+ miles) and 1 R18FE(2,000 miles). I bought the R18 for its retro look and to turn into a bobber i.e. Lee Mrvin style.
Multiple IBA rides including 4 BBG, 3,000 miles in 2 days, 5,000 miles in 5 days, in short I have done my homework.
If you are looking for a true distance traveling machine, hands down the K1600B leaves them all in the rear view mirror.
If you are only going to have one the K1600B is the ONE.
Now if you want something to tool around on weekends, add the R18.
Devils tower and Calderwood overlook.

View attachment 2337View attachment 2338

My Honda at Pedra Azul, Espirito Santo, Brasil
View attachment 2339

New Years Day biker party at Ponta da Fruta, Espirito Santo, Brasil.

View attachment 2340
I actually rode one my Harleys to devils Tower Wyoming from New Hampshire stopping at Sturgis on the way. . Your K1600B is beautiful and your comments give me great insight. Thank you

This is what I am replacing with a BMW touring bike. It's beautiful but after 45 years of only riding Harleys I am ready for what the world has to offer.

Attachments

• DSC04677.jpg
    DSC04677.jpg
    8.5 MB · Views: 22
  • DSC04678.jpg
    DSC04678.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 20
  • Low Res.jpg
    Low Res.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 20
This is what I am replacing with a BMW touring bike. It's beautiful but after 45 years of only riding Harleys I am ready for what the world has to offer.
You buy a K1600B and you will have no regrets.
Not the K1600GA, they are speed limited.
Have had my pure stock K1600B to 145mph, just after the devils tower picture was taken on the way to Sturgis in 2018, solid as a rock, cruised at 110mph across Wyoming smooth as silk.
You will not do that on a Harley, even the CVO phase xxn, rattle your eye teeth, variety.
I actually gave my Harley to my son after buying the K1600B.

I much prefer the looks of the B vs Grand America and 90% of the time need no top box ( Harley calls it tour pack ) but I ride 2 up most of the time so the option of passenger sissy bar and rack a must . I never listen to the radio on the bike ( Distraction) so could care less about that as well . You helping to firm up my decision so now where is a good K1600 forum?

768F6AC4-B1EB-4E68-8E95-D6CFD8D5EE01.jpegThis was my K1600B, worst BMW I have ever owner out of the 22 BMW bikes I have owned over the years. The only positive things I can say it plenty of power and room for 2up riding. It was unstable in dirty air on the interstates and handled like a tractor in the mountain curves. It is speed limited, albeit not as low as the GA I think because of the unstable condition in dirty air at high speeds. i wanted it to be a great bike for long trips, but after 3000 miles I got rid of the pig. As I stated earlier I would chose the R18 every day of the week and twice on Sunday over this DEUTZ-FAHR.

Great for long trip? You got rid of it after 3,000 miles.
3,000 miles is a weekend ride for me. Hell my ride home from the dealer the day I bought the K1600B was 465 miles, stopped for gas once, did not get off the bike.
Picked it up on Tuesday first service at 1600 miles was 5 days later on Saturday.
I have both the R18 and the K1600B.
Ride home on the R18 was 265 miles.
R18 for poking around town. Top speed around 110mph, stable at this speed but quite Buzzy, worse than a Harley.
K1600B for real distance riding.
Seems you are a bit confused as to what a long trip is.
Saturday morning to the local Walmarts is a long trip?
Not even in Vitoria, Brazil.
I acttually bought my Honda at this Walmarts in Sept 2006.

With the Honda on Highway 101, the main North-South Highway in Basil 300 miles North of Rio.
Note the Iron Butt shirt.
Anyone want to pet my Penguin?
By the way that is my Black Dog on the beach in Barra do Jucu, Espirito Santo, Brasil.

Attachments

• IMG_2307.JPG
    IMG_2307.JPG
    991.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1932 copy.JPG
    IMG_1932 copy.JPG
    616.9 KB · Views: 20
  • CIMG2112.JPG
    CIMG2112.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I have had a K1600 and have a R18 Classic. For slower relaxed touring the R18 every time. If your game is 80 mph + touring then the K1600 takes some beating. Bags of power and the faster it goes the happier it seems. To me they are very different bikes for very different riding.

I much prefer the looks of the B vs Grand America and 90% of the time need no top box ( Harley calls it tour pack ) but I ride 2 up most of the time so the option of passenger sissy bar and rack a must . I never listen to the radio on the bike ( Distraction) so could care less about that as well . You helping to firm up my decision so now where is a good K1600 forum?
Adding my 2 cents here.Yeah,I had my 20,000 miles on my Indian before I turned on the radio,LOL,and that was just to see if it worked.
Amyway,I am a long time rider of V-twin bikes myself.I prefer the torque & low center of gravity of the boxer.You may find that the Trans or B would be a better fit after you ride one.While there,you could ride the 1600 too.

Good luck with choice.

Regards,Tom

Adding my 2 cents here.Yeah,I had my 20,000 miles on my Indian before I turned on the radio,LOL,and that was just to see if it worked.
Amyway,I am a long time rider of V-twin bikes myself.I prefer the torque & low center of gravity of the boxer.You may find that the Trans or B would be a better fit after you ride one.While there,you could ride the 1600 too.

Good luck with choice.

Regards,Tom
Well Crap, my Cushman Eagle did not have a radio.
My Ford Tractor has loads of low end torque.
I loved riding ,y 1952 Pan, only took 3 1/2 days to ride from Kansas City to Sturgis, 2days riding 1 1/2 days wrenching to keep it running.
Only took 2 days to do the same trip on a Triumph Bonniville.
Then there was the K1600B, left after sunup, made it hours before the sun went down on the same day.
Enjoyed the ride each time, one was riding pleasure, the other two riding pleasure spread between pain, frustration and anger.

Great for long trip? You got rid of it after 3,000 miles.
3,000 miles is a weekend ride for me. Hell my ride home from the dealer the day I bought the K1600B was 465 miles, stopped for gas once, did not get off the bike.
Picked it up on Tuesday first service at 1600 miles was 5 days later on Saturday.
I have both the R18 and the K1600B.
Ride home on the R18 was 265 miles.
R18 for poking around town. Top speed around 110mph, stable at this speed but quite Buzzy, worse than a Harley.
K1600B for real distance riding.
Seems you are a bit confused as to what a long trip is.
Saturday morning to the local Walmarts is a long trip?
Not even in Vitoria, Brazil.
I acttually bought my Honda at this Walmarts in Sept 2006.

With the Honda on Highway 101, the main North-South Highway in Basil 300 miles North of Rio.
Note the Iron Butt shirt.
Anyone want to pet my Penguin?
By the way that is my Black Dog on the beach in Barra do Jucu, Espirito Santo, Brasil.
I am not confused on what a long distance ride is, and with more than 50 years of riding many different motorcycles I am certain I have an enough experience to offer a response to a fellow forum member on a comparison of two bikes that I have owned. I don’t need to ride more than 3000 miles to determine my opinion about a motorcycle. I have years of experience as an MSF Rider Instructor/Coach/Chief Instructor. You an I have a difference of opinion about many things not in the least is how to respect another forum member‘s post or forum etiquette and decorum. I currently ride an 2019 R1250RT for touring and would prefer it for long distance touring over my R18, however I would still prefer both over the the K1600B. The other K1600 line of bikes with the exception of the bagger platform from what I have read, are much better handling and stable. I was extremely disappointed in the K1600B and I would caution anyone considering the purchase of that BMW. I respect your opinion about your K1600B and wish you many enjoyable miles and glad it fits you so well. CEA0319C-C1C5-4C2C-B66F-5B6D8E9F238A.jpeg0C205AD0-EB49-4255-952A-C73217BAD8C6.jpeg

"You an I have a difference of opinion about many things not in the least is how to respect another forum member‘s post or forum etiquette and decorum"
You should try that yourself.
As George Bernard Shaw's 1905 stage play Man and Superman said, "Those that can, do, those that can not do, teach."

100,000 miles? I accumulated that in 3 years on an FXR.

Scan.jpeg

Scan 2.jpeg

Last edited:
Back