Rear Bag Solution

Trying to figure out best solution for hauling stuff around after being accustomed to my giant GS panniers.

Is it best to swap the pillion seat for a rack? I’m always solo.

What are the better bags for quick removal and carrying around? Searching around the manufacturer websites, there’s not much detail.

Is this going to work better with a backrest? Is there even a backrest out there yet that is compatible with the stock seat?

I have fast removable paniers on my R1200C Montauk.
With the expérience, the removability can be a problem when the paniers are wet and/or dirty. To go in an hotel for example.
Now on both my R1200C and my R18 I use inside soft waterproof bags.
Easy to get in and out as far as you don't overfill them.

I bought a backrest and luggage rack from RoadStyler in Poland. Took about 7 weeks to get it, but it was reasonably priced, as advertised, and now it's installed. The luggage rack is about as big as a salad plate, so it's not a platform for a large bag.

Trying to figure out best solution for hauling stuff around after being accustomed to my giant GS panniers.

Is it best to swap the pillion seat for a rack? I’m always solo.

What are the better bags for quick removal and carrying around? Searching around the manufacturer websites, there’s not much detail.

Is this going to work better with a backrest? Is there even a backrest out there yet that is compatible with the stock seat?
Depends on where you are going and what you need to carry. On day rides with my R18 Classic, I just use the side frame bag. I can carry a hat, charge cable for phone, large side stand pad, heated gear cable, flashlight and a microfiber cloth. I take off the saddlebags if I’m not on a trip. I have a few Kriega US dry pack I use on my other bikes. They are fully waterproof and easy to attach to most anything. I replaced the pillion with a Wunderlich rack to make carrying extra bags/gear simpler and the Kriega can attach there easily.

The stock Classic saddlebags are ~15.5 liters each, so combined they are smaller than the exhaust side pannier on my GSA and the shape isn’t exactly as simple as the aluminum panniers on the GSA. You do have to think about what you pack, but for basic hotel you should be OK or you can augment with a small bag on pillion or rack. I’ve done hotel trips on my S1000R with just a 25 liter Kriega backpack, so ~30liters should be fine for hotel. If I’m just doing hotel travel, I can throw a Kriega on the rack for some extra storage. I have two 10 liter and one 20 liter and you can connect them, so I could have an extra 40 liters with the bags I have. I’ve done camping on my S1000R with that 40 liters setup carrying everything including my shelter & sleep system, but no stove/cooking so packing smart is key.

I’m planning on a 4 day camping trip on the R18 this summer, so I’ve tried test packing the saddlebags. It’s tight, but I can bring a fire starting kit, camp knife, camp clothes and shoes, Sherpa 100AC to charge phone & watch plus cables, rain suit, toiletries & camp towel, first aid kit, and a camp chair. I’ll use the Wunderlich rack to carry my tent & sleep system. This is to a campground with bathroom facilities and not far to grab dinner at a restaurant. I think camping on the R18 in campgrounds is feasible, but if one needed to be more self contained like in remote campsites and carry water and food plus a table, I’d prefer the extra capacity of my GSA.

Was looking at this myself, don't know how easy it is to remove:

Home BMW-MOTORRAD 77492471302

Passenger Seat Bag, Black, 27 L - BMW-Motorrad (77492471302)​

Or this:

Last edited:
I've been in the hem and haw stages of selling off some rear bag solutions including a set of H&B Legacy quick release bags and maybe a complete Classic rear end (bags/mounts and cans/mounts) --including a rear rack. ;)

Is the Nelson waterproof?
It can not be used as a floatation devise but it does come with a rain cover.
I used it in light rain and it seems okay.In heavy rain the cover works well.
They have quite a few different styles and sizes.I have a larger one for my Indian Trunk and it carries a bunch.
Lifetime Warranty

Saw this on my Facebook feed. Looks possibly ugly but useful.

Still haven’t come up with anything. Seems like a product that should exist out there somewhere: duffel bag with configurable clamping system to attach to any luggage rack.

96788479-5AAD-42E9-9ED4-66C7576B968A.jpeg

I found the saddle bags on the R18 Classic were only barely able to carry my laptop but only if the laptop wasnt in any sort of case. This wasnt ideal. So I did determine one way to carry a laptop or some other single medium sized item on the bike was to use a bungie net and hook it to the turn signal stalks in back and hook under the lip of the passenger pillion in front. Seems to hold quite well.

BMWLaptopCarry.jpg

I found the saddle bags on the R18 Classic were only barely able to carry my laptop but only if the laptop wasnt in any sort of case. This wasnt ideal. So I did determine one way to carry a laptop or some other single medium sized item on the bike was to use a bungie net and hook it to the turn signal stalks in back and hook under the lip of the passenger pillion in front. Seems to hold quite well.

View attachment 4893

I’m going to give something like that another try today. Was scoping out attachment points and there are frame tubes forward of the pillion but nothing really behind it other than the turn signal stalks. I don’t know that I want to pull on those at all.

I’m going to give something like that another try today. Was scoping out attachment points and there are frame tubes forward of the pillion but nothing really behind it other than the turn signal stalks. I don’t know that I want to pull on those at all.

Speaking of which, Octobungee - how is that product not around anymore? There has never been a more useful travel tool. Glad the one I’ve had for twenty years is still holding up.

Back