Rear Tire Removal R18 T/C

I have only had my 2022 R18 T/C for two weeks and my rear tire has picked up a screw. How does one go about removing the rear tire? I have searched high and low for a video or even a picture tutorial on how to do it on my bike? Any help or guidance you can provide would greatly help me.

Last edited:
I did not get a service book with my Transcontinental. I found an owners manual online but all it says that the rear tire requires special tools and that it should be removed by a BMW dealer. My dealer is 3.5 hours away.

Oh boy that is far. How about taking the screw out and plug the hole with a rubber/plastic puncture kit and then take the bike to the dealership for a proper repair or maybe a motorcycle puncture repair center closer to you can do the proper repair after you have plugged the puncture?

Probably going to need to lift the bike as well; also search KERN-STABI X-518

I tried to upload the Wheel Set installation instructions; however, the file is too large. Try using the below link to download the instructions from the BMW website:

Screenshot_20230519-155747.pngScreenshot_20230519-160003.png

Last edited:
Looking over the Wheel Set Directions; it looks like you only have to remove the two exhaust silencers and it doesn't (DOES NOT) require the rear cases to be removed. Once removed, I guess you can take the entire wheel & tire to a local general tire repair shop; VS, riding 3.5 hrs. with the risk of going completely flat somewhere in between home & the dealership. I hope the above mentioned link helped.. the procedure seems pretty straight forward, you just need a way to securely lift the rear portion of the bike in this case.

I decided to lift my B model earlier today with the X-518 stand in order to clean the front and rear wheels; I purchased my Kern-Stabi stand used from a forum member, and decided to reverse the cross members in order to make it a little easier to install the jig to the underside, prior to lifting the bike...

Thank God I did this, I almost dumped my bike lifting it; I think I had turned the handlebars earlier, all the way to the right in order to make it easier to put the jig in place, prior to me changing the cross members to the other side; which I learned this morning act like a catch-all kickstand if the bike should pitch away while lifting it....

I had to stand on the kickstand in order to right the bike over to the kickstand side. Once back on the kickstand, I turned the handlebars towards the left and lifted the bike with no issues...

Thank God I was wearing my brown pants this morning..

For clarification: I reversed parts 6 & 7, so that the longer side sticks out on the right-hand side of the bike; I find it easier to install the X-518 jig and it acts like a catch-all kickstand if I should lose the bike to the opposite while lifting it up.

1684621282902.png

Last edited:
Guys, will my conventional bike lift not work on the R18 TC? I'd hate to have to buy another bike specific lift to perform service. 63397_I.jpgR18 TC? I really hate to have to buy y

Guys, will my conventional bike lift not work on the R18 TC? I'd hate to have to buy another bike specific lift to perform service. View attachment 10071R18 TC? I really hate to have to buy y
I use that same lift-jack in conjunction with the Kern-Stabi X518 bike stand; it basically attaches to the engine block, exhaust hangers and serves as providing a flat lifting surface for the R18 models.

I use the Kern-Stabi to quickly get the wheels off the ground in order to clean, inspect and store the bike; the lift platform fits between parts 6 & 7 in the earlier posted diagram. I recommend the X518 stand, as it can be used several ways.

Screenshot_20230416-105807.png

Back